IGNORED

GentooPlayer

Well, with help from antonello I got the update working, and tried out the new kernels.  I have the USB Sig/Digione Sig combo.  At the time I was using the Digione Sig and no hitches.  Last night I switched to USB and it's glitches, no matter what kernel I try.  I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

37 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

try with a non-RT kernel and give me the result of uname -r

and foto systeminfo

Well, I switched to Moode to test, then back to GP and it seems to be okay.  Maybe a solid reboot did the trick.  If I run into problems again I will send you the requested info.  Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago I had GP working with Kazoo and Tidal, by making it an OpenHome Renderer via the BubbleUpnp server on my Mac Mini.  Tonight I was experimenting with kernels.  Now BubbleUpnp will not see GP at all, nor will Kazoo.  What happened?  Any ideas?

UPDATE:  Okay, uninstalled and reinstalled BubbleUPnP on the Mac and it's good now.  Sorry for the false alarm.

Okay, now I have a puzzle, maybe someone can help.  In my system, I have Allo USB Sig connected to Doge 7 DAC.  I installed BubbleUPnP on my Mac Mini.   I made GP an OpenHome renderer.  On my phone I can use Mconnect or Kazoo to play Tidal, sounds lovely.

Now a friend also has the Allo USB Sig and the Doge 7 DAC.  I sent him a preconfigured GP card, he installed it and booted up.  We went through all updates, settings, selected kernel and profile exactly like mine.  It works fine with Audirvana on his Macbook Pro.  We installed BubbleUPnP on his Macbook, made GP an OpenHome renderer, and tried Kazoo and Mconnect.  Both see the UpMPD renderer, both connect to Tidal, but the playback is digital junk (screeching, garbled).  I'm wracking my brain to think what the difference could be, why mine works beautifully but his doesn't. Any suggestions?

The only differences in our systems is that his Allo connects to the ethernet through a pair of powerline ethernet adapters, whereas mine is a direct connection to the router.  I can't see why that would matter but maybe it does.  I know the powerline adapters have trouble connecting to the Allo using a domain name (gentooplayer etc) and we have to use the direct IP address to configure the Allo.  Would this addressing problem be an issue?

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

what do you mean?

cat /dev/null > /etc/resolv.conf

switch off Allo.
cut power to the powerline.
Turn on the powerline.
Turn on the Allo.

By adressing, I mean you cannot reach the Allo by "moode.local/" or similar. Only the IP address.

I'll have him try the fix you suggest, thank you.

3 hours ago, nbpf said:

Do you mean the Allo USBridge Signature? In that case I would use wired Ethernet whenever possible. A Wi-Fi dongle draws current from the USB port. The whole point of using Wi-Fi (on a RPi 3B+ that hosts an Allo DigiOne Signature) is to be able to poweroff the USB bus. This would not make any sense on a USBridge Signature which is supposed to be used precisely because of its clean USB output! 

Ah, I see.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, zacho said:

I've managed to get music! but it's still showing the volume slider on JRiver to be 50% even though it's at 100% volume. I actually need it to be at 97% otherwise I get audible clipping due to the gain mismatch between my amp and dac's XLR connections

I get the following when trying amixer set 'Master',0 100% unmute

Wrong scontrol identifier: Master,

The volume slider in JRiver defaults to a 50% position when JRiver cannot control the volume of the playback device.  In GP's MPD settings change the mixer to software.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm at a loss here.  I've been on GP 2.10 with my Allo USB Sig and everything's been working just fine for months.  Then I thought, I'll upgrade to 2.11.  What a mistake.  Everything went wrong--web gui got wonky, started getting skipping again, phooey.  I reburned the chip with 2.10.  But now I cannot get anything to work the way it was!  Wouldn't play DSD so I tried switching the kernel, then the kernel list disappeared, tried gp-update, then everything disappeared.  It is completely borked!  I cannot get anything work to properly.  Now it won't boot at all!  What on earth am I doing wrong?

Can someone please help?  I can't get GP to work anymore on my Allo USB Sig.  I have burned a fresh copy of 2.10.  It offers no update to 2.11.  I tried gp-update but now the web menu is blank.  I can SSH in but it offers a limited menu.  How do I get it to work again?  If I start with 2.10, what is the first thing I need to do to update the system?  I'd appreciate any help.

3 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I had already suggested,

gp-update

has and try to clear the browser cache

I'm sorry, that doesn't work.  But I will try again, thank you.

ETA:  Okay, I had to switch to a different computer and browser and finally got the new menu.  Thank you and sorry to sound frustrated. 😉

This is a dumb question, but is ramdisk persistent?  Does it resume on startup?  I ask because I want to send a friend with a new Allo USB Sig a pre-configured SD card.  He is not computer-friendly and since we both use the same DAC and Audirvana, I thought it would be easiest to send him an SD with everything configured.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, antonellocaroli said:

No, rpi3 does not have samba installed, but neither do you need it for the mpd database.

you need to mount the network shares and any disks. 
then you have to update the mpd database, mpd automatically checks /media and /mnt.

That worked, thank you.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, odelay said:

Grazie Fillipo - NAS is now connected 🙏

My bad! I had failed to use the admin login. (My user account is supposed to have full access..)

Reason for wanting to try the bridge option was partly becauseI was curious to see if cutting out the modem might have an impact on sound quality. There is a big difference in the sound I get from the local SD card compared to the NAS, so have been thinking about how I might improve it... maybe try to a local USB drive with a good power supply... or even an array of SD cards via USB...  

You may know this already, but the next best thing you can do is use a network switch to connect the NAS and the PC.  This bypasses the main router and provides a pretty direct connection.  I actually prefer it to the bridging method.

11 hours ago, KenMoreira said:

To save me time,   I get my allo usbridge signature player this week.  I got it with the diet pi plus Gui combo and shanti lps. 

I'd diet pi worth keeping or should I goto Gentoo? 

My setup will be audirvana based via tidal subscription. 

Never dealt with any pi devices ever before.  Any help is good help thanks! 

I use my Allo USBridge Sig with Audirvana.  I have tried other compatible players--DietPi, Moode, Volumio--and I find gentooplayer to sound the most natural and analogue-like.  Request a trial license and compare it before you buy.

18 minutes ago, KenMoreira said:

Are the differences between subtle or are they fairly noticeable? 

To me, they are not subtle.  Volumio sounds a bit bland with no real depth, DietPi is clean but more digital, Moode is dryer and has less bloom to the music, the soundstage does not open up as much.  But it is easy to compare yourself.  Buy four inexpensive 8GB SD cards and swap them out.  The only drawback is that gentooplayer is not free, but the trial license is.  It also takes a bit more setup.  You must enter the license, then enable MPD and UPMPDCLI.  Then select the DAC type (I2S or USB), restart, then set MPD BitPerfect for your specific DAC.  There are other tweaks and such, but that is all you need to make it work.

1 hour ago, KenMoreira said:

So is the free version from the site funxtionable?  I just want to make sure I'll at least get enough out of it to have it work with my dac and audirvana to hear it. 

Yes, but you have to email and request a trial license, per the website.  I think it's good for two weeks.