IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

5 hours ago, Norton said:

20 pages in and I’m still no clearer how those who describe  themselves as objectivists differ in their approach to system building from everyone else.

Any objectivist here prepared to detail their system and the regime of comparative physical and listening tests undertaken, and publish the resulting data underpinning their choice of that system rather than any other?  

Or is objectivism just about criticising  other people and their systems? 

Whether you consider me on the objective side or not my objectives of a system are in KIH's  as we have discussed. 

I consider audiophiles to be normally distributed so half are on the wrong side of the bell curve, a third are on on the upper side of mediocre and a sixth may have something to say that is interesting.  Where do I put myself? Just on the right side of the bell curve in the professional category.

Or to put it subjectively just play Pet Sounds and if you don't get a "wall of sound" with your  system you failed in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Read his post again, slowly, and you may get it. :)

I did. I rarely comment on cables since I've tested enough of say USB cables with known issues (most fun iron impurities) to have satisfied myself that an on spec USB copper cable is all I will ever need. And all that is necessary for high performance audio. 

31 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Unless of course there's other phenomena going on that his simplistic test isn't picking up on. 

I've tested a lot of USB cables over the years. To me "other phenomena" is just fear, uncertainty and doubt unless you can give  me an example of what Amir's  test is missing so I can test it myself. 

1 minute ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Ahh so this didn't consist of controlled listening tests with ultra high fidelity audio systems. 

USB cables were tested on on my home and office systems. High enough fidelity for the purpose and if I'm doing the testing they were controlled. I my case you are having someone who testing is part of the entry requirements of their profession and in was paid to test and be tested in the broadcasting industry for 15 years as a moonlighting consulting job. 

22 minutes ago, Norton said:

But again you describe youself as being further towards the “objective side” wholly in terms of being critical of what others claim or hear.  You have gone to the trouble of labelling yourself as an objectivist in your signature, but I see nothing yet by way of explanation or illustration as to how you apply that objectivity in a positive form to your own audio choices.  As an objectivist are you able to outline what you like and the measurements and testing that got you there?  Alternatively,  would “Junior Skeptic” be a more accurate self-description ?

Maybe go look on ARS, Audibility thresholds of amps and  DAC  measurements? flipflop lays out some of the objective stuff and there are some good comments.

12 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Chris, I'd like to request this thread be closed. It's serving no purpose other than a playground for the worst of CA/SA which is the last thing I want as the OP. Let them start their own thread.

I think it serving a purpose where the thread is now. I didn't even mind SuperDad questioning whether I was affiliated in the industry. Whatever witch hunt he is on is fine with me but I certainly prefer a good shill hunt.