IGNORED

Band on the Run Download - Troubles with ZIP archive

Does anyone have successfully unzipped the downloaded file:

UNUSED - Band on the Run - High Resolution_ Limite.zip

It is 5.20GB and contains both, the limited and unlimited wave files.

I downloaded it three times (using different PCs: WinXP, Win7)

I tried to extract the ZIP archive with:

WinZip v10, v14

WinRar v3.9x

7Zip (newest version)

... no success.

Filesize (see properties is: 5'590'132'423 bytes)

Seems some people got their download, others got a zip file that won't unzip - useless - like me.

I have contacted customer support at Topspin and got nothing back - also useless.

I paid with Paypal so I have asked them to void the transaction.

Great idea but why, oh why, put it in the hands of a company, like Topspin, that simply cannot deliver the goods.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

There's a contact email there. When I wrote their support they answered after a few days.

I'd give them my order number and download key, describe the problem, and ask what to do.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

For test purposes or maybe you only want certain tracks.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I did two things:

- Paypal: I initiated a "problem solving" procedure for this transaction.

- Topspin: Yesterday I filled out the support contact form. Today I received a new "time sensitive" (guess that means temporary) link... which did not work at all:

"Download Unavailable. Looks like the file you tried to download is currently unavailable. This could be a temporary issue, so try again in a little while. Contact Customer Support if this problem continues."

As trying later, doesn't help either, the whole story becomes a bit cumbersome...

I have attempted to use customer service at Top spin.

That is really useless after two days they sent this:

"An update to your ticket number 39xxx has been made. If you wish to send additional comments or information regarding this issue, please reply to this email."

I have also started the Paypal dispute process - I have emailed the person nominated by Topspin to be the email contact and nothing.

Seems there is nothing to do but wait, pretty fraudulent behaviour by Topspin.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I downloaded the "uncompressed" HD Tracks version last night and am listening to it right now. No problems. I have downloaded about 8 albums from HD Tracks with none of the problems described by others. Not sure what to say about that .zip file: the HD Tracks file is much larger, cut one alone is 181 MB.

There is not an issue with HDTracks downloads, it is with Topspin Media Inc where the problems seem to have arisen and they seem to have zero interest in customer service.

I have also had difficulty extracting the tracks from the zip file. I use Windows 7 and also tried win zip and winrar without success.

In desparation I copied the zip file to my sons AppleMac and guess what it unzipped first time no problem.

Hope this helps.

Bob

I had downloaded both 96khz/24Bit versions and haven't had problems unzipping them with 7zip (Win7pro).

But I have recognized that there might be a problem with unsupported characters in some (one?) of the tracks, whioch might lead to problems when unzipping them.

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Thanks Bob, for the hint with the Mac. I think it would have been helpful, if I would have a Mac in the house.

Harald, I saw this too with the unsupported characters (opening the archive was possible), nevertheless all the applications I threw at the downloaded file, were complaining about the "corrupted archive" (extracting the archive was not possible).

Meanwhile I received a mail from topspin with 36 links pointing to *.wav files. These were finally working... not a very "exciting download experience" after all ;-)

They have sent me a link to a second file that does not work.

I can't believe how absolutely completely useless Topspin Media Inc. are.

It takes 5 days to respond to a customer service request and all they can do is send another useless file called:

UNUSED - Band on the Run - High Resolution_ Limite (1).

I will try and copy it to my mac but it seems very reluctant to move (is this some hidden DRM device).

Hey folks ~ for any of you that have written in to Topspin support and had a delay in response, I sincerely apology. We're working as quickly as we can to respond to your tickets.

If you haven't yet contacted us and are experiencing issues with the downloads, it may be that the file size (in some cases greater than 2Gb) are generating issues. We can definitely provide workarounds to the issues you all are experiencing.

Please write in via our fan support form (https://app.topspin.net/account/help_public) and let us know which downloads you're expecting to receive along with your redemption codes - we'll be more than happy to generate download links for you as soon as we possibly can.

Phoebe

@phoebe

Thank you for finally putting your head above the parapet on behalf of Topspin Media Inc.

I am one of those who have had a less than ideal experience with your company...

I am now on my third set of links, the first two did not work, the third is in fact 28 (I think) separate links to .wav files that arrived from your customer service system (itself poor).

This creates more problems, whilst these seem to work, each file arrives without any metadata (you know Track Name, Artist, Track Number, Album Artwork etc, etc) as .wav files do not carry this info unlike either aiff or flac.

Whilst it possible to add these myself I sort of expect this to be embedded in the downloaded track when it arrives otherwise I have an absolute mess to deal with.

My own preference (as used by HDTracks and Linn) is for you to provide Flac files which is a lossless compression system (so smaller files to download but all there) which also carries metadata.

I am going to ignore the 'time sensitive' 28 (or so) WAV links your customer service has provided as I really don't want to deal with mess they will leave me and hope your company can provide a better solution.

I will PM you the details of my transaction to date and maybe, just maybe, you can either provide a better solution or dare I say it refund my money so I can use HD tracks who, whilst far from perfect, at least know their flac from their elbow...

Just as someone from Topspin Media Inc finally has the gumption to appear on this forum they disappear again.

Just to make matters worse I have had another load of guff from their 'customer services' department about what I am not quite sure.

So 8/9 days in from buying my BOTR Download I still don't have it....and they ignore any request for a refund....

It's sad the we've been treated like this by McCartney's business partners. I've tried several times, few mails with links from Topspin and still I don't receive what I've paid for.

It's been paid by credit card, they don't answer to my mails requesting refund and I really don't know what to do. How to get my money back?!

Do you know any legal way to get Topspin's attention? Don't you think Paul itself should do something about it?!

I have been emailing with someone in their 'Customer Service Department' for a brief moment I thought I may be making some progress but now she has disappeared.

Obviously she was being too helpful.

Topspin Media Inc really is a dreadful company - I paid with Paypal so I am using their dispute mechanisms, hopefully that may get me a refund.

Apart from their non existent customer service Topspin Media Inc also know nothing about High Resolution Downloads, quite why Sir Paul McCartney uses these jokers is a mystery.

I've had a very similar experience

The large initial compressed file threw up errors. I tried to extract the files using a number of different de-compression applications but no good.

A very helpful lady called Barbara supplied me with 48 separate links to download each file individually in wav format - I would have preferred FLAC but, hey-ho, at least I was getting the product. The links were time constrained and by the time I got to the last one I'd run out of time. Now my messages are just ignored.

I'm just putting this down to a bad customer experience and will go back to ordering the CD from Amazon as subsequent re-releases are marketed. It's a pity the great man gives these people the business but I suspect he has little involvement and maybe none at all.