IGNORED

Ethan Winer Null Test For WIre

jtwrace

On 11/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, mintakax said:

Please someone knowledgable comment on this ? 

Sure.  Ethan Winer wrote a book entitled "The Audio Expert" and claims that all components and all cables sound identical as all retain the fidelity of the input signal.  Ethan also claims that if your playback system does not sound like the live performance, it's due solely to the placement of the recording mic's at the live performance.

Kinda' silly if you ask me but 'nough said.

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

Ask him yourself.  But if he also claims all cables sound the same and all components sound the same cuz they all retain the fidelity of the input signal doesn't seem to phase you, do you really think his response (whatever it may be) to your question, should you ask, would phase you?

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, esldude said:

Striving toward live performance is a worthy goal.  Stereo has inherent limitations making that impossible.  The path to maybe get closer to the illusive goal isn't gilding the lily of stereo, but doing something else instead.  No golden ear gilding will do the trick.  I've come to this conclusion recording music.  Not any base level other than I've heard the live sound, and the live feed and the recording.  Stereo can't get us there.  MCH is a significant though not fully sufficient step forward.  

Even then, the main impediment is over-processed recordings which is true of 99.9% of those you can buy.  

To follow your logic, since recording music brought you to this conclusion, then you must also think the MQA format is crazy outta' this world the most musical "hi-rez" format that ever existed.  That's what Robert Harley of The Absolute Sound and John Atkinson of Stereophile think and they are both sound engineers.  So you must think like them. 

Nobody said anything about golden ears but rather the simple ability to discern or interpret what we hear.  Without even basic audible discernment we probably would all derive at the same conclusions as you.  In other words, developing our ability to interpret what we hear helps us to realize just how far short of the mark a given playback system is. 

As for your plug for multi-channel, well, again you lack understanding of the severe distortions already plaguing virtually every last playback system and are compounded with every additional speaker, cable, and amplifier.  If the distortions are so severe with just 2-channels then, according to you, even more distortive channels will draw us closer to the live performance? 

Interesting.  Not surprising but interesting.