IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a New DAC, Part 4 - iFi Pro iDSD (and friends)

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

If there's one thing I've tried to stress in my articles is that there are tradeoffs to consider between 2 excellent units, and it all comes down to what you value. Beyond that, I've certainly indicated my own preference, but that's a personal valuation, not a blanket statement.

For sure.  I would think everyone realizes these are just your subjective personal preferences and some, or even many may switch your rankings based on their preferences.

The added features on the Pro iDSD may be viewed in a very positive light by a user that likes to constantly change filters or Tube/SS output depending on the user's mood, or the music being played, and has music in multiple formats.  It seems the Pro iDSD is a great choice for that user.

I have two DAC's at the moment, one of which has multiple selectable filters and volume control.  Initially I played around a bit with the filters, but once I determined my favorite filter, I never adjusted it after that.  I also found I preferred the sonics using a separate preamp rather than the built-in VC on the DAC.  I tend to think I would not use a feature like selectable SS/Tube output- I would just use the one I like best and then forget about it.  It also seems that certain DAC's are optimized for DSD or PCM.  100% of my music is PCM.  So from a user like me, I'd rather have my dollars going only for better sound quality as opposed to paying for features I will not use.  That is why it is great to have so many DAC options these days.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC