IGNORED

replacing standard PC (with what?)

8 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Yeah, it's just their way of being excited about a new cost efficient product with great SQ.  Really NUC is just a certain sized mobo computer.  Nothing unique about it.  There are smaller ones that may offer more, depending on ones format needs.  

I think it's more about the power supply, software innovation with AL using memory only that is making this NUC fill the sweet spot on cost/design.  Looks like Roy is working on getting one of these NUC's built with sCLK-EX clocking, which may add another upgrade.    

It's moving along quick, by next summer it will be something else.  You can always try out AL at anytime, looks simple enough to do without having to change your current OS Windows 10.  That's why I'm going to give it a go.  Running everything from RAM should bring a jump in SQ.  Well find out.

Well, after Roy, Larry and the gang finish their experiments with the NUC, maybe somebody will release a commercial audiophile NUC together with the most appropriate software bundled in? They seem to be trying all sorts of stuff and exploring every avenue at the moment! Cheers!

On 11/14/2018 at 5:33 AM, the_doc735 said:

hi, my direction is microrendu 1.4 (a.k.a. ultrarendu) with sonicorbiter 2.7, + UltraDigital (USB > i2s), + LPSU; fed into LKS 004 DAC. Any good?

Yes. That absolutely best. So did you get hold of a MicroRendu 1.4 ?

You may consider a modified Singxer SU-1 with external a LPS-1 . 

Kitsune and Ghent sells what you need for convert to external power supply. 

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Yes. That absolutely best. So did you get hold of a MicroRendu 1.4 ?

You may consider a modified Singxer SU-1 with external a LPS-1 . 

Kitsune and Ghent sells what you need for convert to external power supply. 

the 1.4 is pending, in transit.

Not considered the Singxer SU-1, any gain?

12 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Not considered the Singxer SU-1, any gain?

Yes. 

I have both. Me and my friend tested the ultraDigital against a modified SU-1 powered by a LPS-1.2 

It’s a close race, but Singxer is better. I’m a bit surprised by the result, as the UltraDigital is almost the same hardware as the SU-1.

I bought my SU-1 from Kitsune, and had it shipped to one guy here at the CA, that did the modifications, before shipped overseas to me.

44 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Yes. 

I have both. Me and my friend tested the ultraDigital against a modified SU-1 powered by a LPS-1.2 

It’s a close race, but Singxer is better. I’m a bit surprised by the result, as the UltraDigital is almost the same hardware as the SU-1.

I bought my SU-1 from Kitsune, and had it shipped to one guy here at the CA, that did the modifications, before shipped overseas to me.

but what about an unmodified SU-1 Vs. ultradigital?

9 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

but what about an unmodified SU-1 Vs. ultradigital?

That will be a speculation from my side. But at the moment they’re at same price, so I guess Singxer adds some value as you don’t necessarily need an external PS. I addition there is a Black Friday offer available that probably speaks even more in the favor of the Singxer at the moment. 

Also so you could anytime have a modification done as an example. 

I notice Kitsune is also selling a modified SU-1. My modification was below $100. 

On 11/16/2018 at 12:22 PM, R1200CL said:

That will be a speculation from my side. But at the moment they’re at same price, so I guess Singxer adds some value as you don’t necessarily need an external PS. I addition there is a Black Friday offer available that probably speaks even more in the favor of the Singxer at the moment. 

Also so you could anytime have a modification done as an example. 

I notice Kitsune is also selling a modified SU-1. My modification was below $100. 

What DAC and map are you using?

I have a terminator -> HE9 -> 800S, Auteur and Atticus.

Right now I am using imercury 3.0 -> Ipurifier 2.0 -> Terminator... the purifier did help but now I feel like im still holding the terminator back. 

So I am thinking of a network player, sotm 200 ultra or high end stuff like naim... or more usb optimization. ifi 3.0 or igalvanic.  Maybe this intel nuc strategy with a good psu is worth trying.

Would appreciate all advice. I need to read more in the optimizing pc audio.

On 11/19/2018 at 12:47 AM, R1200CL said:

Theta Gen8 and Casablanca 4a

Theta Prometheus 

https://www.thetadigital.com/

Don’t know your equipment. In general a Sotm or any Rendu will be a good lift in SQ. Using Uptone LPS-1.2 is also recommended. 

DC cables from Gent with JSSG 360. 

Right now I am using imercury 3.0 -> Ipurifier 2.0 -> Terminator... the purifier did help but now I feel like im still holding the terminator back. 

So I am thinking of a network player, sotm 200 ultra or high end stuff like naim... or more usb optimization. ifi 3.0 or igalvanic.  Maybe this intel nuc strategy with a good psu is worth trying.

• 1 year later...
On 10/21/2018 at 11:10 AM, the_doc735 said:

If I ditch the standard PC can it be replaced with something like the SOtM sMS-200?   ...or other renderers, streamers, DMR etc. Would I still need the PC, or can I control the sms-200 & NAS from my everday laptop?

MY HTPC:

MSI Z370i GAMING PRO CARBON AC mini-ITX + Intel® HD Integrated Graphics 630.

Intel Core i7 Coffee Lake 8700 SE Gen.8 2.9GHz LGA1151 TDP 35W CPU.

Pink Faun i2s Bridge PCI-e (expansion/riser) Card.

Samsung (only 250GB) 960 M.2 (2280) Evo PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe 3D V-NAND SSD MZ-V6E250BW (x1).

Patriot Viper 4 16GB Dual Ch. DDR4 3000MHz PC4-24000 DIMM PV416G300C6K.

Streacom st-fc9b-opt-alpha PC Fanless Chassis.

I have always used PC's & laptops as the PLAYER PC, so I have no knowledge of this area yet!

There seems to be a strong case 'on here' for ditching PC's due to the SMPS technology on the mobo etc.

There seems to be a lot of recommendations for things like; microrendu etc. So called Ethernet > USB dedicated audio devices.

A big problem for me is using the USB input on my DAC, I don't like the sound of it, so I use the i2s (HDMI) which sounds far superior to my ears. However, I can't see any Ethernet > i2s devices?

I was contemplating buying either a cheapo or expensive LPUS for the PC (maybe with pico). Would the money be better spent on a network player like the sms-200?

Many thanks, gratefully yours!

Hello I really wonder the performance of Pink Faun i2s bridge as it's the only product in its kind. Can you give me insight? 

Thanks.