IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

27 minutes ago, fas42 said:

What I am curious about, is what you feel you had to give up, that is lacking, now, compared to conventional audiophile sound ... ?

Key to my new world order has been the high efficiency single driver speakers, driven directly by my DAC.  It has allowed me to eliminate the cross over in the speaker (devastating to my sense of reality) and the amplifier (ditto, but less so with the right amp)

My speaker drivers are 104dB sensitivity, so they are remarkably light and fast, and they are point source so I can have perfect phase alignment and no dispersion between drivers.  My DAC (Chord DAVE) has remarkably low noise floor and remarkably fast dynamics, with only a couple of elements on out the output (the 2W "amp" is intrinsic to the analog output stage, so the analog signal goes through remarkably few components)

It is the speaker that is the biggest compromise for "traditional" high fi for me.  I came from B&W 802d3's and adore the B&W sound.  These were life time dream speakers.  As soon as I heard a modest $1400/pair set of Omega Super Alnico Monitors (single drivers), it was a revelation, and I knew I needed to leave the B&W dream behind.  I struggled mightily for a long time to get that sense of reality from the B&Ws, but I just couldn't

With the single drivers, the biggest things I give up are tonal balance, and the sense of "power" (not loudness...plenty loud even with 2W).  Interestingly, I found that within a couple days my brain fully adjusts to tonal imbalances and doesn't notice them, but it NEVER adjusts to the sense of reality being gone.  With the sense of "power", one never gets that with a live singer or piano player or horn player, one instead gets a compelling sense of space from the power of their voice/playing/etc.  The single drivers have an amazing sense of space.  I am transplanted into the physical space where the recording was made but I have given up the "blow your hair back power cord" feeling,

Before this life pivot, tonal balance and physicality were key for me, with a sense of space being a nice occasional bonus.  That has completely inverted.  I appreciate deeply a MegaFi setup that delivers perfect tonal balance and tangible physicality, but I infinitely prefer to be in the studio with Coltrane.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Frank, FWIW, the upsampling/interpolation is based on a standard Whittaker-Shannon interpolation filter.  Professor Shannon published that back when he invented information theory. Anyone in an advanced undergrad course on signal processing will learn about it.  

There are very advanced windowing and noise shaping functions. These are standard DSP techniques.  The magic is in the coefficients (which I do not know, haven't seen, and wouldn't know what to do with if I do see them).  People do research and publish results for different windowing and noise shaping functions all the time (this is a very active research area in signal processing).  People have proprietary algorithms all the time.  The how one defines "quality" and "accuracy" for these filters depends on what one is doing with the output signal (there is no single right answer).

For audio signal processing the  IP is in tuning the algrithms so things sound good.  Depending on how one balances between the time and frequency domain, it sounds different. Depending on your playback chain, folks have a preference for different tradeoffs between the time and frequency domain.  Making one more accurate makes the other less accurate. Not everything is absolute. Simplifying things so folks have simple knobs/buttons to experiment with to see what tradeoff sounds best for them is a good thing, not snake oil.

I upsample my music files to 16fs/32 bit.  Each music track is typically ~2GB.  This is the polar opposite of compression, and unlike MQA, I have all my original music files and can do whatever I want with them.  I appreciate the sensitivity, but I think we're a long way from MQA territory here (I don't see Tidal streaming music at 2GB/music track any time soon)

YMMV of course, but given your focus on time domain accuracy (which I share), I'd love to hear what you hear when you hear some content that has been processed through this pipeline.  

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Yes, it will be fascinating to hear, and see(!), what it does to the waveforms ... hopefully we will have access soon to some samples, so that something like DeltaWave can be used to pick apart some clues as to what's being done ...

If you or others know of some high quality digital music files where the owner would be OK with this, please let me know.  I'd love to post some samples to get more ears on things, but I'm very sensitive to copyright issues.