IGNORED

Network Audio Player issue - Music keeps stopping

Mulatoboy

Question

I own a Cambridge Audio AZUR 851N Network Audio Player (NAP) which I power with the Cambridge Audio AZUR 851W Power Amplifier. I run this setup through Linn Ninka speakers and the sound quality, especially when I play SACD rips (at 88.2kHz), or a variety of other Hi-Res Audio formats (44.1, 96, 192kHz) is nothing short of heavenly.

I have however been battling a persistent problem ever since I acquired this setup 12 months ago. I shall try and describe it below:

Whenever I play music, the 851N Network Audio Player has a regular tendency to stop during a track. This could be after 5 mins, 30 mins or 3hrs....or indeed at any point in between. It's all very random, but incredibly annoying as I'm sure you can appreciate. When this happens, a red circle symbol appears at the bottom right of the NAPs colour screen with a diagonal line through it. This apparently denotes that the unit is not able to access the internet. At this point, the NAP starts skipping tracks indefinitely. I have tried practically everything to resolve this including submitting the NAP to tests by Richer Sounds (the appointed retailer) as well as tests by Cambridge Audio (the manufacturer). Both have said that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the NAP, having conducted long-term tests on both their premises. Despite this, I am still experiencing the same issues. I use a third party modem router (TP-Link Archer VR2800), however the problem started when I was using the standard issue BT Smarthub. I have adjusted several settings such as assigning a static IP address to the NAP, however this has made no difference. At this point I am more fascinated than irritated, truth be told.

Any suggestions as to how I solve this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'd love not to be held hostage to my own (albeit incredible) audio setup!

Cheers

5 answers to this question

Wired or wireless?

If wireless, check for interference from neighbors, etc..  Change the channel and/or change from 2.4ghz to 5.0ghz or vice versa.  Most units use the same default channel and can be crowded if you have close neighbors.   If wired, try different ports on your router and switches (if any).  If you have a backup router try using it.

I do not have experience with your Cambridge NAP but check for updated firmware or if you can go back to a previous version.  Or even just reload the current version.  Check Cambridge forums if any.

How often do you power-cycle your network and music system?  If it has been awhile, power cycle with up to 5 minutes off.  Include unplugging and not just switching off.

Make sure your internet access is still good and not disconnected when you have issues.

Do you have a wireless control point.  On the same network frequency?  Try a different program.

All I can think of for now.

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Indeed, more detail.

Given that the Cambridge Audio 851N uses UPnP/DLNA for audio file streaming, exactly what other network device(s) & associated UPnP/DLNA supporting software are you using in your audio file network streaming setup?

If Cambridge Audio are to be trusted & there really is nothing wrong with the unit, then it could well be a (misbehaving) device specific to your network that is knocking out the 851N's connection.

Is the effect permanent enough to require you to restart the device to resolve it?

Has the same problem happened using some other more fixed network streaming function that doesn't involve going through a playlist of audio files, eg, internet radio?

Has the red circle symbol ever appeared without streaming anything at all?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I do not know if this is your problem but it occurs regularly in my home environment with wifi. At random times after a period of operation a device wifi connection seems to freeze up.. device is still connected but cannot transmit data. Because of this phenomena I have moved server and streamer connections to a switch that is connected to the router, only the controller (start/stop play) is dependent on wifi router as once music is playing, all server to renderer traffic is local to the switch.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system