IGNORED

cheap/chinese LPSU's - minefield?

2 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

"a substantial DIY A.C. Filter board to further reduce crap going back into the A.C. mains". Please tell me more with pics. please?

"S.O.A. Optical fibre cable distribution". Please elaborate? thank you!

I don't have optical devices in PC OR SSD's; only M.2 NVMe storage card.

"I also use the internal 650W SMPS in my PC," - WOW!! - so this is 'the other side of the coin'?

"I don't believe in using numerous additional Linear PSUs to provide power for internal devices due to the need to avoid Earth Loops". So, you don't believe in using four LPSU's for the mobo (12v CPU/ATX 12v/5v/3.3v)?

The DIY mains filter that I used is no longer obtainable on ebay. It required assembly (soldering) and I also added a few varistors for added protection against mains voltage spikes , and  put it in a plastic case with a couple of mains sockets mounted on top.

Ask Jon what he uses to clean up and distribute the signal. He uses Pro type Optical gear to do that.

I prefer to do the cleaning up to improve Signal Integrity before it leaves the computer.

There is more than one way to " skin a cat ".

No, I don't believe in using four LPSU's for the mobo (12v CPU/ATX 12v/5v/3.3v)?

OTOH, if they were all in the same case and well isolated from each other electrically (e.g. separate transformers)

that could be a different matter, but perhaps well and truly overkill ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

9 hours ago, barrows said:

As to the use of counterfeit parts in China I have direct experience of it, it is commonplace and well known in the industry.

Several members of a U.K. based forum who were constructing my Class A Preamplifier design were caught out by counterfeit Toshiba 2SC5171 transistors with very low HFE and a slightly different looking logo supplied by a major U.K. distributor, who to their credit quickly withdrew them from sale.

17 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'll leave  it to you to pursue if you think it's warranted.  I don't plan to buy these products.  Maybe some of the other contributors to this thread can comment on whether the design could reasonably be expected to deliver max ripple of 25uV.

It is achievable using this quoted technology :

Using precision voltage reference + high speed op amp + MOS output power Transistor

Whether it is or not is a different matter, and may be from the specifications quoted for a design based on this topology.

43 minutes ago, 4est said:

Once again, you do not know enough to know what you don't know. Worse, you are expecting people to spoon feed you all of this...

that really helps.

This kind of advice may just save your life, or that of a family member. 

We haven't even got into the area of wiring in a suitably rated fuse(s) which could help prevent a fire in the event of a fault condition, or correct earthing where a 3pin mains plug is used, proper insulation standards where the PSU isn't earthed, suitable gauge wire for internal cabling AND appropriate colour of the cabling used to help prevent costly errors when wiring it up. Then there are proper Earthing techniques .(below)

I bet that you didn't know for example that some IEC sockets have a metal strip which is at full A/C mains potential ! :o

Earthing .jpg

9 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Please see my reply to @Superdad  above (4 posts back) for area's that I need help with!

e.g. what is a suitable tranny for,four of these boards?

cheers!

How much experience do you have using a soldering iron with electronic components, and using a DMM for continuity and voltage testing etc.?

Do you own a DMM ?

Your questions so far suggest that you are well out of your depth with the construction of a multi supply rail higher power PSU.

Nobody is laughing at you as we all had to start somewhere, which was with much simpler projects than this very ambitious one..

...maybe he knows the input voltage?

The Input voltage will of course depend on the chosen Output Voltage, which also means that the transformer as well will need to be selected to provide adequate, but not too much headroom for the selected output voltage.

You will need to ask these questions of the vendor when selecting the voltage version and current required.

Doc

Too many novice type questions are putting off many members from further replying.

You need to do a little more reading yourself on the plus and minus aspects for both types of supplies.

You will find plenty of discussions in other areas of the forum, especially the Uptone area with John Swenson.

Please check your PMs

Alex