IGNORED

64bit v 32bit Windows 7 for music servers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dennis,

I bought a new laptop running Windows 7 64bit. I was unable to set "Windows Audio Session" (it is greyed out)under Quicktime Preferences - Audio. I had used this setting under 32 bit Windows XP and it has a large positive impact on the sound quality. As far as I know this issue has not been resolved in Windows 7 64 bit so I would stay with 32 bit unless you can confirm that "Windows Audio Session" will work.

Good Luck,

Charlie Puma

Unless you know of and want a specific program written specifically for running on 64 bit, you won't get any actual advantage.

The extra memory won't really help you either, if you're just running a music server. It's mainly helpful for multitasking and/or editing very large photos or video files - not something music servers are usually optimized for.

In fact, there are still a few programs and lots of hardware drivers that aren't written for 64 bits. Most (not all) programs will run on 64 bit Windows; but there is still quite a bit of hardware without 64 bit drivers. True even for some new stuff, especially true for anything more than a year or two old.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Before you are sorry (installing the wrong OS), there are quite some advantages with 64 bit over 32, and not any disadvantage that *I* heard of (and I sure would have heard even a single complaint or downside from users if there were). But, I guess this may depend on the playback software hence drivers that the software allows to use (just guessing here).

At using a memory player you sure can use the extra memory.

When using a RAMDisk, you will scream for more memory.

Ok, not *that* many advantages, but sufficiently enough to be sorry if you don't have it.

And go Vista. It sounds way better (max mem with 32 bits is 3GB).

Peter

PS: Before anyone comes up with it : RAMDisks exist which install in memory outside the OS official memory, but I don't think these are free.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

There are some advantages of 64-bit:

1) 64-bit applications can access address spaces larger than 4 GB

2) Operating system can access RAM larger than 2-3 GB without slowdown

3) It doubles the number and size of registers available for programs and thus allows increased speed

Modern x86 CPUs can access physical memory larger than 4 GB even in 32-bit mode, but with slowdown due to required remapping. This feature is called PAE[1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 3 weeks later...

I am reading that Apple does not support WASAPI in 64 bit versions of Windows. Here is a link to an Apple forum.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12697259

Is there anyone out there that has found otherwise

I bought a new laptop that runs 64 bit Windows 7. I connect that through USB to a DAC. The sound was noticably worse than under Windows Vista 32 bit. I attributed that to not being able to set Windows Audio session option in Quicktime. I switched back to my old laptop and all was fine. By the way if I turn off the Windows Audio session option in Vista 32 bit it also sounds worse.

I want to buy a new computer and everything (non-MAC anyway) now comes with Windows 7 64 bit.

No, not all systems come with 64bit. Find a vendor that will let you choose which version of Windows OS you want to install.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

If it is for a music server and not an all around machine. My server has only 2GB and it is fine. No Problems

• 2 months later...

I chose the WAS option in Quicktime but I don't see (hear) any difference in iTunes and I have noticed that I can still manipulate volume control. In addition, I can hear other sounds (e.g. Windows sounds) while it plays - iTunes does not seem to run Exclusive mode.

BTW, this is using Windows 7 64bit edition.