IGNORED

Wavelength Wavelink USB to SPDIF Converter

The Offramp is an excellent product and I've been using it for over a year very happily. My system is Mac Mini w/ Amarra>Offramp>Tact 2150 amp>Zu Druid MkIV. The Offramp 3 is limited to 24/96, and impatient for moving up to 24/192 capabilities of the soon to be released Offramp 4, I sprung for the Wavelink 2 months ago. Out of the box, I was surprised that it bested the Offramp by a hair or two. Slightly more dynamic and a little more pronounced low end. It's improved a bit in that time, but not much. I recall the Offramp had a long break in time and it was a very dramatic, sudden increase in dynamics that caught me by surprise one day. The Wavelink has stayed in the system and the Offramp will move to the office system (or I'll upgrade to version 4 which I expect will better the Wavelink).

The Offramp has more output options vs. the single BNC of the Wavelink. But the Wavelink has an internal battery charged via USB, 24/192 driverless (on Mac) async, and comes with nice Wireworld cable (the purple one). I have the next step up Wireworld cable (red) and stuck with that. The Wavelink also provides BNC cable with an RCA adapter if you don't have a BNC input. Both USB converters are about the same price, and I have to give the Wavelink the edge on features/performance. It's been rock solid, no issues using it with Amarra (and AyreWave), and leaves a big grin on my face when listening. Whatever DAC you own, it will sound the best ever with the Wavelink.

And that's my humble opinion,

Leath

Leath,

Thanks for your thoughts pm Empirical vs. Wavelink. I had looked at Empirical, but decided that as long as I am going this route, might as well have a 192 capable device.

Can you explain how the battery in the Wavelink works? Charges from USB while it is playing, or when not in use (which would of course require the source to stay on). Not much detail on the power on the wavelength site, and only a few small notes in the forums.

A few more questions:

- What SPDIF cable are you using?

- What year is your mac mini

- What sort of music did you test with (both specs/format, and style tracks)?

I think i may try to take a walk over to the local dealer today and see if they have a loaner i can test in my rig.

J-maxx

Hi J-maxx,

As I understand it, the battery charges via USB when not playing music. My Mac Mini is always on (sleep disabled) and the WaveLink is getting power 24/7. It would be helpful if Gordon chimed in with more info about how he works his battery magic and if I should be powering it down from time to time to assist with break in.

I don't have a BNC cable, so I'm using the stock cable supplied with the unit. I did not see any markings, but suspect it's Wire World since the color matches the supplied Wire World USB cable.

My Mini is last revision before going to the aluminum enclosure, late 2009? It has a 32GB SSD and 8GB RAM. Music on a NAS connected via wireless network (5GHz N).

I've been listening to 24/44, 24/88, 24/92, and 24/192. Lot's of stuff from HDTracks: Sharon Jones, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jazz at the Pawnshop, Keith Jarret & Charlie Haden, Ella & Louis....(HDTracks is like crack to me). Also lots of indie rock, most of which sounds terrible, except in the noisy car where compression and brickwalling do have a function. Okkervil River, Antony and the Johnsons, Josh Ritter, all make great sounding releases. And then there's my Dylan problem...I'm also partial to Debussy and Chopin piano pieces, and I have to say that the WaveLink really shines with piano. Most realistic presentation I've heard with my system.

A loaner is a no-brainer, but you'll probably want to keep it. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do give it a try.

Leath

Leath,

Thanks for your response. All useful information.

Part of the reason for my upgrade fever has to do with some of the material I have downloaded from HD-Tracks. The hi-rez bug has definitely bit me, and I think is worth the effort, as you can attest to.

I will also be using a Mac Mini as a source. I have a 2008 borrowed from misc. gear in my office, but I am thinking about buying one of the new 2010 models (also for video playback).

Thanks for providing the list of music. So important, and sounds like we have similar tastes in music. While I don't listen to much straight up piano, sure the wavelink also does justice with harmonica.

I stopped by the local Wavelength dealer, and not only do they not have the wavelink in stock or on display, I could not find ANY wavelength products on display. Really ridiculous for them to be the only local dealer in NYC, and have nothing to demo. I don't know why so many audio stores cop such an attitude, and are so not involved in the world where they exist. I am considering calling the dealer in NJ to see if they have in stock.

Anyone else out there have a Wavelink and some thoughts to share? Anyone tried the wavelink against the HiFace EVO or the Audiophillio 1 or 2?

Leath, thanks again. Enjoy the rig, and hopefully more labels will release high quality hi-res tracks (amazing how bad most of the current labels cd's sound).

I have tons of cd's from Mapleshade Records, which sound awesome. While not hi-res, cannot wait to hear on my new rig, when I decide.

J-maxx

I am currently using the Proceed AVP-2 as my Pre-amp / Processor. This is also handling my D to A. The Proceed has the same DAC setup as the Mark Levinson Mk40, and gives great results. Single system for music and home theater (NYC apartment living).

For my amps I am running the Bel Canto M300 for my L/R channels (and 2 x Bel Canto S300 for Rears and Center when using for Home Theater).

Speakers are Gallo Reference 3.1 with SA amp to drive 2nd voice coil.

Cables are a combination of DH Labs, Wireworld, and Soundstring Cables for speakers and power cables.

I am currently using an Apple TV to handle music playback, all tracks at Apple Lossless. The Wavelink and a Mac Mini would replace the ATV.

Also, all gear is sitting on Mapleshade brass footer feet. Try a set under your mini and or Wavelink. You will be shocked at what they can do.

Yes, a drag about some of the dealers out there. I will let you know how I make out with the NJ dealer.

Best,

Jeff

PS - I almost went for a pair of Zu speakers, but ended up getting the Gallos before i got a chance to listen to the Zu's. However, i am still curious to take a listen. They are supposed to sound great.

I have received good service from Jay at Audio Revelation in Southern California:

http://www.audiorevelation.com/

On the purchase of a Wavelink.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

You might have to wait to hear Chris C's thoughts on this. I suspect he may be reviewing the Wavelink sometime soon...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I have not received it yet, it should arrive on Wednesday. I have tried: Audiopphilleo 2, Diverter, RME Fireface 400 all in a computer to SPDIF role. So far I have not found an interface that equals or exceeds the performance of my CD player (bel canto CD-1) as transport (bnc to DAC input bnc) into the same DAC. I am hoping the Wavelink witll get it done, and will report once I get its measure...

SONORE computer audio

Barrows, are you using the Buffalo DAC to audition the converters?

The Diverter looks cool. The Audiophilleo looks nice too. The model 1's display has a color scheme similar to that of an early 70's Sansui Receiver. I wonder if looks were a subconscious factor here?

BTW do you know if is Twisted Pear any closer to releasing their async USB input module?

I am using my build of the Buffalo II with Legato output stage. Note that my build is not stock Twisted Pear Audio (for details see the Buffalo II thread in DACs).

I also made comparisons with my highly modified PS Audio DL-III. Note, that all my comparisons so far have been versus my bel canto CD-1 as transport. The bel canto is CD only, and uses a fixed frequency clock, with the transport mech locked to the clock, so it functions quite well for SPDIF output. So far none of these converters has beaten the CD transport (or really equalled it). Playing back aiff files with Pure Music in memory mode, into the same DAC, using the same SPDIF cable.

From what I have heard about the Wavelink, I am expecting it to be better...we shall see. I really want to remove the transport from my system, and get to where I just play back from the computer for digital, and then add a turntable set up as well.

Russ, the TPA designer is still working on his XMOS based (same chip as in the Wavelink I believe) USB/I2S board. TPA is not his regular job, so it may be awhile before this design is ready (could be a couple of months, or maybe even a year, these are not simple tasks). Hopefully the Wavelink will work for me while waiting for the TPA solution.

Ultimately, when the TPA USB/I2S board proves to work, I will build another Buffalo II, using everything I have learned from the first build, to an even higher standard of performance (new fully discrete shunt regulated power supplies with all high quality parts, new Legato II analog stage with all extreme quality passive parts, and the best coupling caps I can find) and make it a USB input only DAC to avoid any compromises.

SONORE computer audio

Barrows,

I was just reading over at the TP forum about the XMOS based module.

I noticed a post by Brian Donegan. He wrote "If you can get a good S/PDIF output from your computer, I don't know why you would not just use that, honestly."

Makes me wonder if those two really have a handle on computer audio, and jitter reduction.

"That's quite a statement"

Really, why? I am just reporting my findings. I do find the commonly held point of view that computer audio easily outperforms the traditional way of playing digital to be entirely in error though. Only the very best computer based approaches will beat out a very good single box CD player like an Ayre C-5xeMP.

My experience is that a lot of people are not even doing these kind of comparisons, and just assuming that computer based playback is always better.

Re Brian's comments-I find that in the DIY community the level of performance people are achieving is often quite limited, perhaps because a lot of folks are into DIY because they cannot afford expensive commercial gear. I believe Brian's comments are speaking to that level, where an SPDIF output from the computer into a DAC may achieve very good sonic results (especially considering the "jitter rejection" capabilities of the ESS 9018). BTW, Brian is not the designer of the TPA stuff. I have had contact with Russ White, the TPA designer, and he is entirely clear on how (and why) to achieve extremely low jitter output from the USB/I2S board he is working on. These guys even use a highly sophisticated, very low phase noise, very expensive masterclock module, which was designed for them by Crystek specifically for the B-II. They are well aware of the negative effects of jitter, and are committed to reducing jitter to the lowest possible level. Russ has even stated that they will not develop the USB/I2S interface if it is not better than products already available. He is playing back 24/384 files as part of his testing, and he does most of his listening in a computer based set up.

SONORE computer audio

Barrows - If you are thinking I2S to drive your Buffalo, why not consider my new async 192 Off-Ramp 4. I have other customers already doing this. I am taking pre-orders for Off-Ramp4 now. Showed it at RMAF. Delivery before end of year.

The Off-Ramp 4 is much better than the Off-Ramp 3, and has internal Hynes regulators options. It can also be powered from my Monolith LI battery supply. I'll put it up against anything on the market. Starts at $799.

I measured P-P jitter from the Off-Ramp4 from the S/PDIF output and it was 30psec over all frequencies using the standard clock. The Ultraclock sounds even better, but gets spendy.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

the heads up Steve. I am receiving the Wavelink tomorrow, if it is unacceptable in terms of performance I will consider the Offramp. As noted above, ultimately, I plan on using the forthcoming USB/I2S board from TPA, internally in my DAC, I just know that this could be a long wait.

I believe you are using the OE board from M2 Tech as the basis for your new Offramp? I am little sketched on the M2 Tech stuff, and I would rather use a converter that does not require driver installation. Although, ultimately, I would prefer to go direct I2S, I really want to incorporate this internally to keep the I2S line as short as possible.

I am pretty confident in Gordon's Async USB solution, having done quite a bit of listening to the new Ayre QB-9s and comparing it to the DX-5 and C-5xeMP. It is clear to me that his implementation is fairly sound-I guess I'll find out for real in my system.

I tried to get in your room at RMAF, but you were very busy, (same with Gordon). Having worked shows myself, and knowing how difficult and draining it can be, I chose to leave some busy folks alone! Are there complete details of the Offramp 4 available yet?

SONORE computer audio

Steve - That's the boldest most blatant advertisement for your own products as I've ever seen. It's also a slap in the face to paying advertisers who support Computer Audiophile and the burgeoning community.

You have a lengthy track record of advertising via forum comments on every site related to audio. This may sound a bit stern, but consider it your last warning here at Computer Audiophile.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

"I believe you are using the OE board from M2 Tech as the basis for your new Offramp? I am little sketched on the M2 Tech stuff, and I would rather use a converter that does not require driver installation."

No, my Pace-Car USB used this OEM board starting in April. The Off-Ramp 4 and Overdrive DAC use my new reclocked async 192 USB module. My own design.

I have not had any problems with the M2Tech interface. Works perfectly on both my PC and Mac. On PC, as long as you use Kernel Streaming it is fine. This is recommended anyway.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio