IGNORED

Soundcards in a flux?

I'm finally ready to buy a soundcard for my g5. So it seems to me that the 'best soundcard interface' is in a state of change. There's AES, USB, and Firewire going on right now. I've read with interest about asynchronous usb and aes interfaces benefiting from an ext. word clock (Antelope and the like). Cool stuff. But I want 24/192 and word clock capabilities, so USB is out.

For AES, I should consider the Lynx AES16? Or spend about $400 more for the RME AES 32: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_aes32.php

This is, but has dedicated word clock i/o and "the word clock input is galvanically isolated via transformer and operates on Single, Double and Quad Speed signals automatically" Seems about the only difference that I could tell.

But it seems also that the high end dacs I'm considering, like the Weiss202, Antelope Zodiac+, and the Berkeley, all have AES. So perhaps one of these two cards would be 'somewhat' future proof.

But then there's firewire interface, if I got this right, that a firewire interface does not benefit from a word clock? Can anyone confirm this? And doesn't firewire benefit in being 'asynchronous'? I think that's what I read on the Weiss 202 thread, though I'm not sure. I'm still learning all the terminology and technology ;) But if firewire doesn't benefit from an ext. clock, then should I just use the built in firewire 800 to a 'synchronous' firewire dac?

Anyway, I'm not sure which card/interface to choose. I know this was a bit long, but I wanted to give everyone the correct information. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, heck, I appreciate anyone who got thru this posting! ;)

Thanks,

Chris

(If interested, I'm AM getting there, slowly.;) I've got the g5 with 5G memory, a Vertex 2 100G SSD, one internal 2tb drive, and 2 ext. drives for backup and flac files. I've got most of my cd's ripped using Chris' Rip Methodology, and I'm planning to begin auditioning dac's in a month or so. I'm in love with Pass Labs xa-60.5 mono's, great amps that I'll eventually get. I'd like the bigger boys if I could afford it hehe And I'm not sure if I'm going to need/buy a pre at this point.)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Apparently this topic is a dud. lol Not surprised though as this is a pretty basic question and I'm sure people are tired of answering it over and over. I'll continue to look at older threads for some guidance.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

To be honest, you're slightly asking the wrong question here.

You need to get out there and decide what DAC you're interested in. That will (in most cases) answer your question.

If you choose Weiss DAC202 or Metric Halo LIO8, then you'll be using FireWire direct. With the Antelope Zodiac + the natural choice is USB (IIRC this will support 24/192 on the Zodiac+). If you decide in a Berkeley DAC Alpha or another DAC with only AES or SPDIF then you are legt looking for a soundcard.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

That makes sense Eloise, Thanks! I haven't made a decision about a dac as no one has everything I want: async firewire and aes, auto sampling rate conversion, remote controlled (last two eliminated the MH lio-8), clock i/o (eliminates the Berkeley) and even the Weiss is eliminated as it's not a true async firewire implementation. And the Zodiac + has no remote or firewire.

I guess I'm either going to have to wait, or compromise. The real 'biggies' for me is the auto sampling, remote and clock i/0 and of course, the music it makes. I can get around the auto sampling from Amarra or Pure Music. Overall, I like the LIO-8 best by stats, just wish it had the remote control.

Anyway Eloise, your point was dead on and I appreciate the guidance to getting where I want to be.

Chris

Hi Chris - I think you're over analyzing this one :~) Your biggest "mistake" is ruling out the Weiss DA202 because of its async implementation.

I completely understad your reasoning and line of thought. After using all the DACs mentioned, and many more, and using every interface imaginable I know you're doing yourself a disservice by seeking a technology rather than the end game of great sound quality and a product you're happy using long term.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Besides, whether or not it is "true async" as per the terms in the Weiss DAC202 thread, it does control the clocking of the signal coming from the cpu which appears to be the primary issue. Another to look into is the Weiss DAC1 MKII w/ Firewire. You may reject that as well as it does not have word clock in/out. IIRC, it used to have clock in/out but they found the internal clock was better than and Apogee Big Ben (standard at the time) and took it out. You may find an old one with the clocking, and have it updated to the mkII + firewire.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

"overanalyzing"...well, I am a psychiatrist so it makes sense LOL

Thanks Chris and Forrest for your posts, I WAS seeking technology over all end results...like is it a musical experience? I did discount the 202 per noted, and I know how much you, and I have liked the Berkeley dac. So it was very interesting to see your review and how much you liked it over the Berkeley. That whole asynch. business was something that I thought I needed at this level. Mainly, I just want to have a dac that's musical, and somewhat future proof, and the 202 meets those two requirements. I have a dealer that has the 202 I can demo. So I'll give it try (heck just saved $650 to apply to it from no card) and see how I like it via firewire. Too bad MH LIO8 didn't meet my main criteria as I would've enjoyed having a ADC around to rip my vinyl.

But anyway, Thanks Eloise, Chris and Forrest for great suggestions, and a slap in the face reality check ;) In this hobby, it's easy to not to see the forrest for the trees.

Chris