IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

• 5 months later...

Well, it has never been my Modus Operandi to spend big bucks to buy a Top of the Line System eg 200k speakers. 2nd hand, good valued stuff appeals to me. I spend a lot of effort DIY/Tuning/Tweaks experimentation to get my system to sound the best... At the end of the day it is Music Enjoyment as much as fiddling with gear. It is also a useless effort to argue for that the same Album on Vinyl and CD, which recorded version and pressing is better. Yes there are differences but unless the Vinyl pressing was on crap recycled vinyl material and the Sound Engineer murdered the mastering, the Original Vinyl release will generally (IMHO) beat the best CD release.

I can say I spend a lot of effort fine tuning both digital (actually the last 3 years - a lot of effort) and just getting serious again with my Turntable system. 

IMHO, and YMMV - it is the recording process/quality of playback in a Turntable system that just pips the digital system at the finishing line in a race to achieve Top Quality Playback.

I have absolutely Crappy LP's - Linda Rondstadt's rock albums comes to mind - I love LR and her voice/music but the compression and lack of dynamic range is just pathetic

I have digital music that sounds really great. Barbara Streisand's Partners Album is a really good recording in 44.1khz CD format for example.

I will continue to steadily improve both systems when a piece of high quality gear appears in the 2nd hand market. A top of the line phono pre-preamp is next in my target sight!!

Enjoy the Music

Umh! - Got to get the latest Sprout from PS Audio - Maybe a good choice for phono preamp and 24/192 upsampling and digital recording from my precious Sheffield Labs. 

No until I try it I cannot.. But I have 24/96 and 24/192 recordings from HDTracks that sound fantastic

Sara Bareilles Live at the Variety Playhouse is an example of a stunning recording even if it was from the DVD as the original source.

Some of the Chesky 24/96 music is good too. Christy Barron - Take this journey is another example

Though you can recognize the Chesky house sound with some experience.

No I think i was too critical on my music/system - My digital system sounds really good too. 
Just for that final bit - I think the Sheffield Labs and other Direct Cuts LPs I have - there is some dynamic over range that gives that additional thrill  - I saw this on a Audiophile style.com featured digital vs LP playback of Anne Bisson _ Blue Mind - You can hear the difference even over crappy YouTube. The presenter explained that the way the cutting head cuts the groves, it overshoots on dynamic peaks and this gives the additional SPL overpeak that makes LP's (well recorded ones) that Life like SQ!

Kelvin

@Semente - Yes preference for digital or vinyl is just like Music - always a matter of taste or more aptly put a choice of flavors!

If you are referring to Tube amplification vs Solid state then I need to point out I use 2 Pure Class A monoblocs for driving my HPs inclusive of the AByss 1266/HD800/HE 560 etc . Also can use the Audionote Quest Silver 300b Monoblocks. 
Tube or Solid State adds different flavors to the basic music as reproduced.

My TT system has tubes in the Jolida/EML 45 Tube Pre/KT88 power amp.

I also can use my iFi iDSD Micro to connect direct to the Jolida phono pre

Depending on the mood of the moment, I can fine tune the end music vista that is presented to my ears. That however does not change the vividness of the BEST of BEST Vinyl has to offer (with the surface noise, etc of vinyl) versus the Best of Digital. (no I am not saying my setups are anywhere near the Top - I would say Mid-FI at best) But they make Music

My point in my original post above is that there is something elusive "Life Like of the Best of Best of Vinyl that you need a MEGABUCK Digital playback chain to go Near! That where I feel we have lost our way.  

I know what @sandyk is referring to about Soundstage on vinyl being more center stage more body and yet slightly more diffuse. Vs Digital which is pinpoint focused but like slimmer and not so corporal body like. Definitely Separation on Vinyl is way less than Digital. I hear this all the time over a range of musical genre's.

Kelvin 

Mosaic Jazz Festival here.. Stacey Kent and her husband and Band were festured! Live Real music but was amplified.. Stacey did not warm up until the middle of the 4th song

Moral of this story Even live music needs tuning

So many of us struggle to tune our digital playback system to rid it of the digital greyness. 

As for Vinyl it is mechanical resonances, noise, and to stretch the fidelity of the playback system

Amplification - take your pick Even Order Harmonic Distortion or DC to Mhz freq range with Solid State .. Pick your poison😁

It is a continuous struggle...the hifi adventure .. the enjoyment is in the pursuit and journey .. Always elusive target ...within sight but beyond reach