IGNORED

Ifi crushed by cheap Chinese gear

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I buy garlic as a large bag - about 14 bulbs per pack.

What i am surprised at, is that there was a spate of when the garlic was sourced from China. I mean, for something as simple as garlic, Tesco had to import from half way around the world. I cannot believe that European garlic was so expensive that you had to go to China.

Or is it profit at any cost ?.

Are people being greedy when they use China to make their products ?, or are our products that we purchase so low cost we cannot make a profit if it is made locally ?

In addition, products are made to a specification - so if it is crap and the product is an American or European brand - then it was specified to be crap.

Regards,

Shadders.

Chinese garlic tastes wrong. We have it too, but I prefer to buy local even if it would not be available at the end of winter - early spring.

5 hours ago, firedog said:

You guys are confusing 2 different things: Communism and communism.

The first did and does exist, and is maintained by force, including in China. 

The second also exists, and is maintained by choice among the people who are communing. 

We were talking not about communism, but about "communist governments". 

2 hours ago, mav52 said:

Well you still have Laos, Vietnam , the Republic of Cuba and the Communist Party of China all still are recognized supporting a communist government.   

One may want to see the difference between the name or slogan and the reality of life in a country. Pure and clean communism is and was an idea or ideal only, never practically achieved. If you proclaim your country communist and kill a large part of your people it doesn't mean your country' government is communist. As good as it may sound the principle of communal ownership and distribution was never actualized in reality. Some people are more equal then other people each time.

20 minutes ago, firedog said:

Communal living works on a small scale, when the participants are all willing to live that way and choose that lifestyle. It can't work on a large scale, for 2 reasons: a)non-market/non-money  based distribution becomes very complicated and can't be done efficiently or equitably; b) even in a situation where non-market based distribution can be achieved, a communal setup can't work if people are forced into it. It requires willing participants who have a positive desire to have it succeed. 

What we call "Communism" is more accurately called "Bolshevism"; but we're stuck with the name we have, it appears. 

Again, we talk about governments. In a small scale communism is more than viable, of course. Every survived family or even single organism exist on the same principle.

34 minutes ago, mansr said:

Unless, of course, you dared disagree with the wrong people.

Oh, well. Wrong people didn't care about you too. And, all of them lived im Moscow. I lived in Odessa on a Black Sea, the town of most beautiful girls in the world, gorgeous food and cheap wine.

22 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Basic necessities were cheap, as long as you don’t include clothing and food in that category. Maybe cigarettes were cheap and plentiful, that’s about it. Don’t know what you mean by ‘nobody was afraid and nobody cared’. Anyone with a little intelligence saw the terrible living conditions, the constant oppression by the communist party, lack of freedom and lack of opportunities. Not caring is not the same as not being able to say aloud that you care.

Wow, sounds terrible. Now I do not know how I survived that constant oppression and lack of freedom. My guess it was preoccupation with girls and listening Zappa, Weather Report and Mahler. 

22 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I agree, although I’m less optimistic than maybe just hopeful that this grand experiment will survive this particular stress test.

Let's see how democracy survives a robbery an assault of a sovereign country in a mid of an Europe. As per now I see only an attempt to pacify robbers, but not a protection of justice and order. 

31 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I think Teresa is challenging those Google articles as to the true meaning of communism.

Teresa should know better, I guess. As someone who never lived under communism. Ideas looks better from some distance. Again, I take a liberty to repeat, the life in a communist country may be very nice if you pay no attention and do not care much. As I did.

24 minutes ago, mansr said:

Depends on which (nominally) communist country. The USSR probably wasn't so bad, all things considered. At the other extreme, North Korea seems quite miserable indeed.

It doesn't make sense to evaluate from outside. How people feel is the only measure. One may say they are brainwashed. Well, who aren't? Clean and empty brain wouldn't hurt anyway.

44 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Yes, a life in a cage or a prison or on a slave plantation may be  ok if “you pay no  attention or care too much” or know any better. What does that prove? That being a slave is a nice place to be or that we humans are adaptable? 

Funny thing the life of wealth and so-called freedom would be a cage too. The conditions of existence never important to those who "are".