IGNORED

Chord DAVE and ARIES Mini.

Hi all.

Apologies of this has been answered before.

I have been running my DAVE for 18 months now and I have my ARIES mini connected via USB cable.  My understanding is that DAVE does not do MQA conversion.  However, just the other day I was listening to TIDAL via the ARIES and I just happened to choose an album that was MQA encoded and I noticed the screen on DAVE turn blue (192 kHz 24 bit) and it looked like to me it was playing the file at a higher bit rate.  IS this right?  Or is it the ARIES mini that has the MQA capacity?  I tested this with another four or five albums in TIDAL and same thing.  Some were up sampling to 88.2 kHz. Am I not truly getting the MQA encoding?  Not sure all this makes sense.  But I am certain that DAVE does not do this.

That is correct, DAVE is just indicating at what sample rate it is receiving.  If any unfolding of MQA is being performed it would be before the DAVE.  

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Thanks George.  Yes.  Really happy with the mini. Great sound and stable.  Only problem I have is with the Lightning DS app.  Doesn’t seem to save all the artwork.  Not all of my titles have artwork and I haven’t worked out how to fix it.  

Rob.

4 hours ago, rjb301 said:

Thanks George.  Yes.  Really happy with the mini. Great sound and stable.  Only problem I have is with the Lightning DS app.  Doesn’t seem to save all the artwork.  Not all of my titles have artwork and I haven’t worked out how to fix it.  

Rob.

It's a good idea with Lightning DS to periodically remove the library, delete the cache, then add the library new and go have a cup of coffee while it rescans. Seems manipulating the underlying music directory files can cause glitches.  If after a refresh there's no artwork, I'm betting its not in the metadata and that there is no default cover.jpg file in the folder

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Aries has Auralic’s take on a full MQA renderer. It not licensed nor using anything MQA official. Probably pisses Bob off to no end.

Even though he’s implemented a renderer, Xuanqian recomends listening to regular non MQA as MQA loses dynamic range.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

19 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

It not licensed nor using anything MQA official

Not least I guess because it's built on open source software, it would thus be impossible to remain compliant with the license requirements of both GPl and MQA.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, matador86 said:

I am only guessing (we won't get any confirmation from Chord and that's understandable) but I think it's reasonable to guess the 2-box solution will be the only M-Scaler solution, for at least a couple years.

Won't get any confirmation from Chord for what??  MQA?  Rob Watts, designer, is not a MQA fan.  So future M-Scaler will also not unfold MQA.  The only M-Scaler currently is the BLU2 by Chord.  Do not confuse M-Scaler with unfolding MQA.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)