IGNORED

Article: Introducing Tonal: A Minimalist Music App for Collectors and Audiophiles

3 minutes ago, baoshan said:

Is the UPnP device shown in  > System Preference > Sound > Output?

No, just headphones.

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

Just now, jaspal kallar said:

No, just headphones.

Thanks for confirming that. I also believe there’re not there. ;)

Another output layer is required to render to these devices. It’s unscheduled yet and will not come fast because everything related to the playback engine needs long time proof listening.

BTW, bluetooth devices and virtual devices such as Devialet Air are currently supported.

23 minutes ago, baoshan said:

Thanks for confirming that. I also believe there’re not there. ;)

Another output layer is required to render to these devices. It’s unscheduled yet and will not come fast because everything related to the playback engine needs long time proof listening.

BTW, bluetooth devices and virtual devices such as Devialet Air are currently supported.

Ok thanks for the reply. 

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

Hello Baoshan,

I have installed Tonal in my iMac (late 2015) and MacBook Air (late 2010). No problem

1. Interface: nice and clean, I feel quite comfortable with it.
  2. Sound is good. I would like to compare Tonal with my present player and my reference system but I cannot because the DAC only works with Yosemite or previous versions (driver problem). I expect that in the near future I will be able to listen to music played thru Tonal in a proper system.
  3. I like very much the amount of information that you include with every disc
  4. I miss some way to organize the "discs" because sometimes I like to browse thru my library and choose any disc among the ones from some composer or from some director or some orchestra or with clarinet or if I tagged it as relaxing or anything .... Also I do not understand the way or criteria used to order the discs: aparently it is not alfabetic neither based on upload date.
  5. Curiouslly form me, the order in which the discs appear in my iMac is the opposite as they appear in my MacBook Air

I have uploaded several "discs" whith the following results:

1º File from my NAS (Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde): no problem

2º File from my Mac mini (Dvorak): no problem

3º CD's package (Giulini: The Chicago Years): no problem: I have used not a superdrive but another external DVD reader / writer

4º File from Mac mini (flac + cue): Mahler: The Symphonies where I have uploaded only the files corresponding to discs numbers 8 and 9: it appears correctly but also has appeared another disc: Mahler VIII, (only the second CD of the case) that is the duplicated of the disc 9 mentioned before but with another edition.

5º File from my iMac (aiff 32bits/44kHz): it appears as a disc of Ravi Shankar and other music, when played is only noise but is a file containing classical music captured from a live interpretation thru Internet (Alatriste, suite de concierto)

Thank you

Correction: I have checked again Tonal, three hours after posting the above written: the disc Mahler: the Symphonies has disappeared and remains only Mahler VIII, Chailly that is the wrong one.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:20 AM, corente said:

Hello Baoshan,

I have installed Tonal in my iMac (late 2015) and MacBook Air (late 2010). No problem

1. Interface: nice and clean, I feel quite comfortable with it.
  2. Sound is good. I would like to compare Tonal with my present player and my reference system but I cannot because the DAC only works with Yosemite or previous versions (driver problem). I expect that in the near future I will be able to listen to music played thru Tonal in a proper system.
  3. I like very much the amount of information that you include with every disc
  4. I miss some way to organize the "discs" because sometimes I like to browse thru my library and choose any disc among the ones from some composer or from some director or some orchestra or with clarinet or if I tagged it as relaxing or anything .... Also I do not understand the way or criteria used to order the discs: aparently it is not alfabetic neither based on upload date.
  5. Curiouslly form me, the order in which the discs appear in my iMac is the opposite as they appear in my MacBook Air

I have uploaded several "discs" whith the following results:

1º File from my NAS (Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde): no problem

2º File from my Mac mini (Dvorak): no problem

3º CD's package (Giulini: The Chicago Years): no problem: I have used not a superdrive but another external DVD reader / writer

4º File from Mac mini (flac + cue): Mahler: The Symphonies where I have uploaded only the files corresponding to discs numbers 8 and 9: it appears correctly but also has appeared another disc: Mahler VIII, (only the second CD of the case) that is the duplicated of the disc 9 mentioned before but with another edition.

5º File from my iMac (aiff 32bits/44kHz): it appears as a disc of Ravi Shankar and other music, when played is only noise but is a file containing classical music captured from a live interpretation thru Internet (Alatriste, suite de concierto)

Thank you

Correction: I have checked again Tonal, three hours after posting the above written: the disc Mahler: the Symphonies has disappeared and remains only Mahler VIII, Chailly that is the wrong one.

Hello corente,

Thank you for your valubale information. I’m sorry for my late response.

Re: Some way to organize the "discs"

I truly agree with you. Your suggestion is top in the to-do list.

Re: Order or discs

It a nasty bug. Blame me hardly.

Re: Mahler Symphonies

I’ve fixed the issue. Please let me know if it’s safisfying on your side.

Re: 32bits audio

Not supported for now. In the to-do list.

Once I figured out resources and time to take Tonal to her next stage, I believe not only above issues will be resolved, you’ll also see a much more fluid experience. More conceptual things is waiting.

Stay tuned. Thanks again corente!

19 hours ago, baoshan said:

Hello corente,

Thank you for your valubale information. I’m sorry for my late response.

Re: Some way to organize the "discs"

I truly agree with you. Your suggestion is top in the to-do list.

Re: Order or discs

It a nasty bug. Blame me hardly.

Re: Mahler Symphonies

I’ve fixed the issue. Please let me know if it’s safisfying on your side.

Re: 32bits audio

Not supported for now. In the to-do list.

Once I figured out resources and time to take Tonal to her next stage, I believe not only above issues will be resolved, you’ll also see a much more fluid experience. More conceptual things is waiting.

Stay tuned. Thanks again corente!

Issue with Mahler Symphonies is fixed

Thank you Baoshan

Is it possible to delete the file "Ravi Shankar / Alatriste" as it is only noise?

2 hours ago, corente said:

Issue with Mahler Symphonies is fixed

Thank you Baoshan

Is it possible to delete the file "Ravi Shankar / Alatriste" as it is only noise?

I’ve deleted the wrong album. Please let me know if it’s still there.

In the future, you can do-it-yourself. Sorry for the trouble.

38 minutes ago, baoshan said:

I’ve deleted the wrong album. Please let me know if it’s still there.

In the future, you can do-it-yourself. Sorry for the trouble.

Everything right now, thank you.

Anothe comment: I see that it is not possile to create an upload queue or I have not been able to do it. Perhaps it would be a convenient feature

11 minutes ago, corente said:

One last question, for the time being ;-)

I have a back-up copy of all my CD´s: which option is better to upload: from the CD or from the extracted files?

(Accurate Rip was used when possible)

For audiophile performance, they’re bit-to-bit identical. Use extracted files for it’s faster. Any error (detected by the integrated AccurateRip or CUETools) will be repaired (by the integrated CUETools) or rejected (when unable to repair).

Whilst importing a CD from my iTunes  i.e hard drive, I get an error:

Step 2 of 3

Verifying Disc

Veryfing disc via CUETools

Dialog box with:

Some discs upload failed

Disc could not be verified

The CD I was uploading was (ripped to my Itunes account using XLD with AccurateRip):

Tittle: Robyn Is Here

Artist: Robyn

Any idea why verifying with CUETools always fails whilst from AccurateRip it’s not a problem, since this has occurred with several CD's?

Is there a limit of 20 discs for the current version?

No worries if that is the limit, it's  just I wanted to delete some discs, do you when deletion is likely to be implemented?

3 hours ago, jaspal kallar said:

Is there a limit of 20 discs for the current version?

No worries if that is the limit, it's  just I wanted to delete some discs, do you when deletion is likely to be implemented?

Hi jaspal,

1. The deletion feature will be implemented very soon. Tomorrow maybe.

2. Please send me a disc you believe which is AccurateRip or CUETools verifiable but rejected by Tonal. I’ll dive into the case.

3. Please PM me and I would like to discuss more on the 20 discs limitation. I would like to help you continue building your collection while the Tonal is in her early stage.

Thank you again and sorry for the trouble.

12 hours ago, baoshan said:

Hi jaspal,

1. The deletion feature will be implemented very soon. Tomorrow maybe.

2. Please send me a disc you believe which is AccurateRip or CUETools verifiable but rejected by Tonal. I’ll dive into the case.

3. Please PM me and I would like to discuss more on the 20 discs limitation. I would like to help you continue building your collection while the Tonal is in her early stage.

Thank you again and sorry for the trouble.

HI again

1.  Thanks for the deletion feature, and so quickly :-)

2.  I will PM to ask you how to do this since one such disc (that can not be verified with CUETools is ~ 600MB). 

3.  No, I'm fine with the 20 discs limit. It's just about 9 of my current discs are cd singles (which I don't want to listen to any more). Plus I can test your deletion function.

37 minutes ago, jaspal kallar said:

HI again

1.  Thanks for the deletion feature, and so quickly :-)

2.  I will PM to ask you how to do this since one such disc (that can not be verified with CUETools is ~ 600MB). 

3.  No, I'm fine with the 20 discs limit. It's just about 9 of my current discs are cd singles (which I don't want to listen to any more). Plus I can test your deletion function.

Please use this build: http://binaries.ton.al/app/Tonal-20180423.zip

Right click the cover art from the grid view, a pop-up will be shown.

3 hours ago, baoshan said:

Please use this build: http://binaries.ton.al/app/Tonal-20180423.zip

Right click the cover art from the grid view, a pop-up will be shown.

Thanks, deletion works.  Now I can recommend Tonal to a few more people who are interested but wanted a deletion option first.

Hi again Baoshan,

I have the following issues:

• Two discs without cover (as minor issue, they belong to a collection of four discs: Brahms four symphonies by Giulini and they do not have exactly the same metadata)
  • Disc Bruckner Symphony does not play: I uploaded ALAC 24/96, not playing; deleted it and then uploaded FLAC 24/96, still does not play
5 hours ago, corente said:

Hi again Baoshan,

I have the following issues:

• Two discs without cover (as minor issue, they belong to a collection of four discs: Brahms four symphonies by Giulini and they do not have exactly the same metadata)
  • Disc Bruckner Symphony does not play: I uploaded ALAC 24/96, not playing; deleted it and then uploaded FLAC 24/96, still does not play

Hi corente,

I wish the Giulini/Brahms boxset issue is fixed. Check it on your Tonal app and let me know if the result is satisfying.

96/24 is supported. The source format of your audio is irrelevant. All music is stored in a proprietary format. If you click the play button and nothing happens, it may because your device does not support 96khz sample rate. Do you see a buffering animation? What device are you using?

Sorry for the trouble, again.

I”ll check later if the Giulini / Brahms box set is fixed. If not, I will come again. Thank you.

Regarding the other issue, no animation occurs when I try to play the 24/96 file. In fact, if I was playing another disc, the player remains in the other disc.

Where I have this problem is in iMac, late 2015 if I remember well. I have to check if this problem happens also in my MacBook Air. Again, I”ll do that later.

Hi again,

The issue with the 24/96 remains in iMac (late 2015): the feeling is that the app is an image when I click in the disc. No other disc has this problem.

On the other side, it plays smoothly in MacBook Air (late 2010)

Both Macs run 10.13.4

3 minutes ago, corente said:

Hi again,

The issue with the 24/96 remains in iMac (late 2015): the feeling is that the app is an image when I click in the disc. No other disc has this problem.

On the other side, it plays smoothly in MacBook Air (late 2010)

Both Macs run 10.13.4

Hi corente,

Why not collect another 96/24 disc on the iMac and see if it plays well?