IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

I tried the EtherRegen with the Sonore opticalModule attached via FO to the SFP port (side A) then port B to my server (Roon Nucleus) with very good results.  Liked the SQ better then just running Ethernet straight into port A.

But, when I tried replacing the opticalModule with a TP Liink MC220L media converter it would not work.  Same FO transceivers on both ends (TP-SM311LM) and cable just the opticalModule was replaced.  Tried two different TP Link converters with same result - no connection.

Any one know why the TP Link would not connect?

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

OK, got the issue with the TP Link FMC sorted out.  Seems it needs to be in Auto mode (not Forced mode) but you need to power cycle it after re-positioning the switch.  It connected, but I much prefer the SQ of the Sonore opticalModule as expected.  

A few other items to share - read the manual carefully.  There are some really good tips in getting the best out of this device. For example...the tip about NOT using a shield-tied shell on the RJ45 connectors to eliminate ground/noise issues between devices is spot on.  I changed mine from Supra Cat8 to BlueJeans Cat6 and it improved SQ.  Next up is the tip on using a short Ethernet cable out of the eR to the next device and that also helped the SQ.

On 11/21/2019 at 3:50 PM, jcn3 said:

Also, not all SFPs work with all FMCs -- compatibility is not 100%.  Has the SFP worked with the TP Link before?

BTW, did you try changing the switch on the back of the TP Link from Auto to Force (or vice versa)?

On 11/21/2019 at 3:41 PM, Superdad said:

This may sound silly, but can you try pushing the FO module into the EtherREGEN's SFP cage just a bit harder?  During testing we have found this to be required and I think a couple of other folks here had similar issue as you and then got it to work by re-seating firmly.  Just a thought.  Beyond that I can't really think of a reason why that model TP Link FMC would not work, where your Sonore opticalModule with the same transceivers does.

I found several 6 inch (0.5ft.) Ethernet cables on Amazon.  Went with the StarTech brand and YES, I noticed improved SQ over the 1M Supra it replaced.  This is between the EtherREGEN and the Roon Nucleus.

I like Supra cables and use them throughout my system - USB & power cables.  Good tip on modifying the Supra Cat8 to remove the shield.  I'll give that a try.

Same here....I had several microUSB cables, some had a tag "no data" on it most did not but hard to tell by looking if they are normal data cables or not.  Got lucky with the one I used and the process was straightforward.