IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

6 hours ago, jjraffin said:

Can I politely ask - if users of the LPS-1.2 are using it to power their DACs, can you please mention the DAC model? I don't want to derail the thread, but getting information about which quality DACs can be powered by the 1.1A would be helpful (and Alex it might generate more LPS-1.2 sales...)

Chord Qutest

10 minutes ago, Colin Green said:

I’m using a Chord DAVE, which notwithstanding Rob Watts’ claims, is sensitive to the quality of the upstream signal. In fairness, I don’t think he’s tried any USB devices apart from the Jitterbug, but he does recognise that battery power can improve matters. The DAVE is sensitive to RF on its ground plane. 

Agree ? it responds to any small change upstream. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hifiveharry said:

Either I guess. I was wondering if anyone had one 1.2 on each piece. I'm getting in line for a second supply to power my  UltraRendu. I'm also wondering if anyone has tried in on both the IsoRegen or the UltraRendu , and which piece did it make the best difference. Thanks in advance.

Not a direct answer to your query, but I have always found that the closer a PSU is to the DAC, the stronger the impact.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Use some sort of switch on the output of the LPS-1.2 that waits until the output voltage is already close to max before turning on. This can be a relay or a transistor circuit.

Hi John

If you can elaborate a bit on this part would be great.

I am facing a similar issue with my LPS-1.2 when I try to power the SOTM tX-USBexp USB card in my PC. The LPS-1.2 turns green but I hear a slight buzzing noise in the LPS-1.2 and the USB card doesn’t turn on. I have tried 3 different LPS-1.2s and still have the same issue.

However, the LPS-1 works absolutely fine, so I am puzzled. 

6 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Is this acoustic buzzing from the LPS-1.2 itself or over the or from the speakers. Also is it coming from the feeder supply? The LPS-1.2 can take more current from the feeder than the LPS-1, this might cause problems with the feeder you are using. What feeder are you using, is it the same for both the LPS-1 and LPS1.2? The supply Alex provides with the LPS-1.2 can supply much more current than the one supplied with the LPS-1, so if you are using the one that comes with the LPS-1.2 that should not be any problem.

Can you check the output voltage on the LPS-1.2 when it is in this state, if it is not delivering the appropriate voltage and is in green, then Alex will replace it for you. Even if the feeder supply cannot handle the current the LED should be red not green.

John S.

The buzzing noise is from the LPS-1.2 itself. It is the same buzzing noise with the supplied SMPS or with my other 5Amp LPS at 19V. I will measure the voltage output when the light shows green. I don’t think there is any issue with the LPS-1.2 as I have tried 3 LPS-1.2s and they all have the same issue but they all work fine on my other components.

35 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I'm sorry Moussa, but I can not even fathom what sort of mechanical "buzzing" you are hearing.  I have had hundreds of LPS-1.2 units on my desk--in my extremely quiet studio--and not a single one buzzes, even with a full 1.1A load on it.  If I press my ear to the case I can just barely hear a very faint "tick" when the unit alternates between ultracap banks.

So we really would like to know more about what you are hearing with your LPS-1.2 units!

Alex,

What I am experiencing is very odd. The 3 LPS-1.2 units I have buzz ONLY when connected to the SOTM tX-USBultra. They all work fine without any buzzing noise on all of my other gear. What I don’t understand is that the LPS-1 work without any issues so it is not a current issue. I suspect that there is something to do with the LT3045 boards that the tX--USBexp card don’t like. I made an

experiment today with a lithium battery and when I added the LT3045 to the DC cable, I heard the same buzzing noise coming from the LT3045 board and the tX-USBexp card didn’t power as well. I ordered the voltmeter you recommended from Amazon so I can measure the voltage and report back. 

So to make it very clear, there is absolutely no issue with the LPS-1.2, it seems that it is a compatibility issue with the tX-USBexp card. I am using now my LPS-1s so I fine for now, but I would like to understand what the issue is. 

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Okay, that is weird.  You mention both the tX-USBultra and the tX-USBexp.  One is a big external box, the other is a PCIe USB card that goes in a computer slot.  Which one causes the issue?

Also, in your experiment with battery, is the LT3045 you added inline one of Alexey's (LDOVER) DIY PCBs?  

And I assume that when you get the "buzzing" result with the UpTone LPS-1.2s you are not using the LDOVER boards in line after the LPS-1.2--correct?

And with the battery>LT3045 PCB experiment, do you hear the buzzing from the LT3045s themselves or from the 10uF caps on the output?

I mean tX-USBexp PCIE card.

Yes I am using the DIY boards from Alexey.

With the Uptone LPS-1.2, I use no LT3045 boards inline  after it.

With the battery, I think the noise is coming from the big rectangular yellow part in the middle of the LT3045 board.

Will continue this offline.

Thanks for your help

• 6 months later...