IGNORED

I Now Consider The Stereophile Staff Snake Oil Salesmen

7 minutes ago, Alcap said:

Sorry to barge in but what are “listening skills” ? I don’t think I have those,

I hear music  playing on a system, I like it......no skill required.A5AC02C6-7840-4533-A303-024C4F4D8DD0.thumb.jpeg.624b3343ba376358f79405f3de5ffe31.jpeg

There’s definitely something called listening skills. Both Harmon and Philips have online listening skills courses you can take for free and shapen your listening skills.

There’s hearing and listening. There are people that can hear better than me but can’t tell the difference between a 128k MP3 and a CD. We are all hearing the same music; I’’ve cultivated some listening skills so I can perceive the difference; they haven’t.

There are lots of examples. People who are into electric guitar can differentiate between different guitars; other people just hear “an electric guitar”. 

Listening skills are developed: you train your brain to notice differences that you wouldn’t notice otherwise. The result is that you can “hear” more of what’s there. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, mansr said:

How can anyone publish such twaddle and keep a straight face?

The article was way too much of a ramble for me to read word for word all the way through, and anyway I think it is out of date. Digital recording and playback today is way better than in 1992. I don't take it too seriously. 

But as far as what is called PRaT, I think I've heard it. Probably has more to do with the speakers themselves (how "quick" they are and how well integrated and time aligned the drivers are) and possibly something in the particular speaker/amp interaction. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

17 minutes ago, dalethorn said:

That's the usual reply, that "digital sounds as good or better", and related statements.  That I don't necessarily disagree with.

But when someone says that "digital captures and represents everything that analog contains", then I disagree.  Now to be fair, the above quote is an approximation of 100 different wordings on the subject, and some of those statements contain subtle hedges and disclaimers such as "effectively all" or "everything you can possibly hear" and so on.

The truth is, a lot of the pointless discussion can be cut off at the beginning when the argument starts with "while digital recordings are a sampling and do not capture *everything* that's in an analog recording, we believe that good digital recordings capture all of the essentials, and eliminate certain analog problems."

Words are important, and too many analog/digital arguments contain incomplete or incorrect premises.  Once we get past those, we can focus on the real differences.

Nice post but in no way answers the points I was trying to make.