IGNORED

Network Streamers With I2S Output?

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Dave A.... said:

I have the Audiophonics streamer with I2S out going to my W4S DAC. Sounds great on Spotify premium.

A bitch to setup.......doesn't come with any documentation, just assumed knowledge whe

n you buy a Rpi.

I am putting together an Ethernet > I2S - Roon streamer but based on a Sparky SBC running DietPi. I'm adding Ian Canada's McFifo & McDualXO isolator and reclocker boards plus the Audio g-d HDMI LVDS. Waiting for the parts and should be a decent setup.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/207438-ian-asynchronous-i2s-pdif-fifo-kit-buy-243.html#post5111246

https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

9 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Wow - that looks interesting.  Maybe a little above my skill set, but very interesting.  Please let us know how it performs when you’ve got it running.

will do @T-Bone

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 5:05 AM, gstew said:

As you and others have reported the DS DAC works very well with an I2S over HDMI input. So their reclocking mechanisms do work effectively with that input.

To confirm what Greg says here, I tried a WavIO USB to I2S converter with an Audio g-d HDMI I2S module into my PS Audio Junior DAC and the result was impressive. I've also been using Lucians new Bluwave USB to Spdif board into my DAC as well. This is also stunning due to the isolation and the quality of the oscillators on the Bluewave.

These 2 results set me on the path to find the best input and I'm working on a Sparky Roon streamer chain including Ian Canadas reclocker and isolators boards plus an Audio g-d HDMI module (to sidestep the usb to I2S stage). This is still in progress as I had some Linux programming to learn about plus glitches with my Audio g-d module and an LT3045 3.3v regulator. Its not been smooth but new items are in the post, so hopefully in a week or so I may be able to get this all working and powered with clean DC. Even though the PS Audio DACs use an internal master clock the quality of supplied input, especially if it has been isolated, clean powered and reclocked does matter.

Makes me also wonder what the result could be if the master clock (a crystek VXCO I believe) in the PS Audio was upgraded... hmm :)

• 2 months later...

On 5/17/2018 at 3:27 PM, diecaster said:

The Ambre uses RJ45 I2S which is not compatible with devices that use LVDS I2S. 

Yes but it could be tweaked for some that wouldn't be too difficult..

On 2/26/2018 at 12:16 PM, vortecjr said:

I'll tell you guys a story later today. 

... I'm curious what that story was.. :) 

1 hour ago, diecaster said:

No, it cannot. 

Why not. Depends on the tweaker.. question is whether its worth it.

Can be done with and Audio-gd HDMI LVDS module or one of these...http://yanasoft.jp/yana/hdmi_i2s.html

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

..FYI I recall a post from Ted S. where he stated, that using CMOS level i2s might work into his DAC without first conversion to LVDS i2s. I would ask him before attempting it. 

Thats interesting info. Thanks, I may follow up on that as I was under the impression PS Audio DACs needed to follow their recommended format...

You have to look at what the PS A DAC is going internally. My understanding is that it is reclocking all data so externally reclocking before it’s internal reclocking is redundant. The improvement you are hearing is likely from isolation. Externally, I would feed it with a clean source. Internally, you could look at updating the master clock. 

I don't have the skills nor desire to mess with my PS Audio Junior DAC interior, but I wonder who would be able to upgrade the internal clock, that is something I would be interested in...

You would need a proper LVDS i2s send board which requires a power supply, but it can be done. I would pass on the trouble and use USB. FYI I recall a post from Ted S. where he stated, that using CMOS level i2s might work into his DAC without first conversion to LVDS i2s. I would ask him before attempting it. 

I have tried all the inputs including USB and found I2S through a Wavio board with HDMI LVDS module (with clean power all round) gave the best sound to me, so I'm trying to find the best I2S source...