IGNORED

TAS, MQA and the tone of discussion

7 hours ago, Sonicularity said:

The DRM issue with MQA is more about the concern that an arbitrary quality level is at the mercy of whatever MQA wants to impose, which is a major concern if this becomes the only format available to purchase.  The format has already been shown to be technically inferior to formats that already currently exist for purchase.

It is one thing to make light of the issue in the current environment where consumers still have a bountiful number of choices available, but things could be very different if MQA takes root and become the only official format distributed by all the major labels in the industry.

If all the streaming services have a more expensive tier for MQA, all the DACs have to include an MQA license to get the highest quality, and all the files have MQA integrated within them, nothing would prevent MQA from adjusting the quality level for non-licensed playback to the point where more people would be willing to pay more to unlock the potential.   When the consumer's choices are more limited, it will be too late. 

This is an industry with a deplorable track record on the consumer front.  If given the opportunity, they will create a climate where piracy becomes a more viable option to many and send hordes of lawyers to lobby for draconian rules to be enforced, all while taking advantage of and neglecting the artists that mostly have no other options.  This would not be the first time this behavior has been witnessed.

Indeed - not sure if the funny replies come from MQA supporters - but one thing is clear  - I do not put it above the industry to endeavor for the an end game that is the  most damaging for the consumer - and they will work towards that. MQA is the latest tool and attempt... 

Right now  the point maybe be considered alarmist, since, as Sonicularity pointed out, we still have choice.  - but they have stated their goal is MQA everywhere - there is not guarantee we will still have those choices in 10 years - specially if MQA is, well,  everywhere...

I am currently listening to a CD I bought used 10 years ago. I am pretty sure those industry jerks hate that. I hope I don't have to say I told you so when a subscription becomes the only way to listen to music.

v