IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

Putting aside the potential for DRM (we all agree this would be bad but just put aside for a small moment):

Is MQA unfolding up to 24/96 agreed to be a better than CD quality streaming solution? Assume the same master is used.

Something better than CD quality but not as good as the true 24 bit master?

So it’s something in between?

Or are we saying it’s not as good as even CD quality? Assuming same master is used.

20 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

Qobuz's Sublime+ is MQA-free

For now.... there is always potential for the labels to force all streaming companies to only stream MQA.

I guess that's the fear that's been discussed for a long while now on this site - the potential for DRM going to the next level.

My gut can't see that happening in 2018 but who knows - that's all crystal ball stuff.

8 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Hopefully, - Tidal will be gone very soon, and take those Meridian people down with them.

But Deezer (with larger market share) has MQA coming:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/09/deezer-ends-sonos-exclusivity-joins-hands-with-mqa/

10 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

FWIW, - i appreciate the wisdom in your posts. 

You must have me confused with someone else... :D

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

Very interesting about Deezer.... thanks...

Use these 2016 figures as a guesstimate only.  Obviously Dezzer is still a small piece of the pie overall, but it shows Deezer having over 6x the subcriber numbers of Tidal. 

And that was when Deezer Elite (CD quality streaming) was exclusive to Sonos. That exclusivity with Sonos has now ended.

100-million-subs-1024x759.png

42 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

I agree, but at least, the streaming services are the "gate keeper"

Just another angle to this. I formed the opinion a couple years ago that the labels set the minimum monthly subscription fee after the labels rejected Apple’s reported initial plan for a $7.99 monthly plan. Apple fell in line with pricing and they ended up charging the same as others.

We don’t know all the politics involved though so I only guess and am likely wrong.

@Rt66indierock may have more informed knowledge if the labels effectively set the minimum monthly subscription price ? 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6494979/fight-between-apple-and-spotify-could-change-digital-music-labels-said-to

PS: don’t ask me how the labels can reject Apple’s $7.99 plan but allow Spotify’s freemium plan  O.o There must be seperate terms and conditions agreed to, which we will likely never know publicly.

Just now, Rt66indierock said:

I have confidentiality in my profession but if you look at the numbers companies have charged for streaming you will have your answer. Also notice charging more doesn't seem to work either.

Yep it's not too hard to connect the dots with what's been reported (negotiations between streaming services and labels) - if the labels don't set the price, they certainly have a big influence.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, FredericV said:

So if MQA can do somewhere around 15 to 17 bits, they have some extra headroom and more than what is needed for most situations

Following on from this, I'm definitely not a fan of MQA quality becoming our only option in future but based on the above, shouldn't we put MQA and it's limited ~ 14-17 bits, aside? If that's enough to dynamic range for most music?

Is there any album that truely has 24 bits of dynamic range (over 144dB !)?

I ask genuine questions  - I'm not trying to be a smart a$$

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Actually to much resolution causes fatigue.

Not sure I understand this at all.

2 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

No it doesn't.  A little too hot in the top by design speakers/system or a reflective room or brutally mixed/mastered recordings causes fatigue.

My ears agree with this.

5 hours ago, knickerhawk said:

For a couple of decades now the technology has tilted in favor of the consumer being able to take advantage of an old physical ownership model. That’s rapidly changing. Get ready!

Again I'm not a fan of MQA but I feel the above is what mostly interests the labels about MQA.

• 6 months later...