IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

The anecdotal results from testing combinations of upscaling or downscaling and HQPlayer settings is that a 7950 (my neighbour has) will out do a 14700 (I have). You already have a lot of computational power there. Is there anything that you want to run that does not run for you? There are some combinations that cannot be solved with more power. For example, if a filter like closed-form fundamentally cannot convert between rate families. 

Thanks for the update. The 7600x struggles when trying dsd1024 for the Holo may. Miska has expressed reservations on hqplayer running on AMD with windows. So the question is do I upgrade to the 7950x (or the more recent 7950x3d) or do I move to Intel which is known to work. I realise that in moving to Intel I will need to add water cooling. The 7950x costs the same as a i9 14900k.

17 hours ago, cpcat said:

I don’t think CUDA offload works either with the OS -not sure about this.

CUDA is not supported on HQPlayer OS which is more like "streamer firmware".

I support CUDA only on platforms where Nvidia supports it. They naturally don't support HQPlayer OS. And the CUDA development toolkit is closely bound to particular versions of the OS development toolkit. So it quickly becomes a notable obstacle. Given latest Fedora developments, it may disappear from Fedora in future unless Fedora changes their course.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Is it possible that as CPUs keep getting faster the “older” GPUs won’t be able to keep up?  For example - the RTX a5000 that I use.  Will this still work fine with say 14th and even 15th gen Intel?

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, NAA 5.0.0 image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Placette Balanced Passive Linestage, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

3 hours ago, cpcat said:

Is it possible that as CPUs keep getting faster the “older” GPUs won’t be able to keep up?  For example - the RTX a5000 that I use.  Will this still work fine with say 14th and even 15th gen Intel?

Yes, eventually that will happen. When CPU has to start waiting for GPU to complete it's tasks, then there is wasted time. As long as GPU can finish at least at the pace the CPU can do things, things are good. Of course it depends on what and how much is running on each.

Hi guys,Miska,

Just got a 4090 yesterday and looks like i m nearly there.The gap between hiccups is preety long for dsd1024 7ecv2/3 sinc-m.my question is(most probably already answered,sorry),is there a theoretical hw setup for dsd1024 asdm7ecv2/3 in general?

My hw:

Win 11

7900x - 5.7Ghz

DDR5 - 7800Mhz Cl 36

4090 - 2625MHz

Overall load is <50% .

Any suggestions about os,tweaks and overclocking are welcomed.

A while ago i ve wrote on this topic that the best cpu for hqp is hqplayer pro.I still believe it,but only if you work for seagate or wd from home:))

I'm not entirely chasing for DSD1024, I just wish I can have all different filters under DSD512 max, as I've no nvidia GPU and out of curiosity I borrowed an old Tesla 16GB cards which I found out accidentally that my friend has and isn't using as he upgraded. Based on what @b0bb shared in the other thread, I do hope it can do DSD512 sinc-MX without stutter, and hopefully it'll be DSD512 Sinc-L, if that's the case, i'm happy to buy over the cards as its fairly cheap these days and having some extra filters seems handy.

Just started to insert the card and already greeted with issues with Ubuntu not booting up due to the "nouveau" issues, reading it up and will tackle with it in the morning and hope I can start running some testing tomorrow

29 minutes ago, paradis said:

Reporting in, as I'm very much impressed with the Tesla P100 16GB (more so considering its price nowadays)

With the P100 in, together with my Ryzen 9 7900...

I can do all filters using ASDM7ECv3, these incl. the toughest Sinc-L, Sinc-MX, Sinc-Long which in the past with just CPU alone I can't do it without stuttering, when it's in Sinc-L, the DSD512 takes up shy of 12GB of GPU memory, with GPU utilisation varying up from 10-30%, i've observed occasionally spike to 80% but it doesn't in anyway causes any stuttering which is great

Obviously with these toughest filter passed...PCM is really just a walk in the park, i am very happy with the capability of the P100 and wanted to share...obviously i can't do DSD1024 without stutter due to my processor, but i'd imagine if Ryzen 8000 series has a better single core performance, DSD1024 might be not far fetch

Thanks for the report..  Just to be clear- you are doing Sinc-L to 512 with 44.1 source files?  

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, NAA 5.0.0 image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Placette Balanced Passive Linestage, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

Just now, cpcat said:

Thanks for the report..  Just to be clear- you are doing Sinc-L to 512 with 44.1 source files?  

Yes that's correct, from 44.1 source to Sinc-L 512 using ASDM7ECv3, only the 44.1 will use up to ~12GB of GPU memory, if its 96khz source file, the memory usage on Sinc-L is about halves to 44.1k

19 minutes ago, paradis said:

Yes that's correct, from 44.1 source to Sinc-L 512 using ASDM7ECv3, only the 44.1 will use up to ~12GB of GPU memory, if its 96khz source file, the memory usage on Sinc-L is about halves to 44.1k

That is cool.

The memory usage is similar to my GPU w/ 44.1 and Sinc-L.  I would imagine you can do the super modulators too.

That Tesla p100 GPU doesn’t t have a monitor output though?  Might be tricky for CPU’s without onboard graphics (like mine)   I don’t often need a monitor as it’s headless -unless something goes crash of course.🤣

IMG_4231.jpeg

I'll try some other modulator over times, I'll imagine I can as the modulator likely its a CPU tasks, only the filters are offloaded to GPU, but that's my understanding.

Yea Tesla P100 doesn't have a monitor output, I'm using the built-in onboard graphic  of the Ryzen 9, it's running headless 99% of the time, only when I need to make changes at BIOS i'll uses it with a monitor

All in all, i just find P100 can be a sweet spot, as DSD1024 largely depends on CPU, and for DSD512 lots of CPUs are capable, and if couple with P100 it can be a very cost effective setup

19 hours ago, paradis said:

Just started to insert the card and already greeted with issues with Ubuntu not booting up due to the "nouveau" issues, reading it up and will tackle with it in the morning and hope I can start running some testing tomorrow

You may need to first install the Nvidia driver packages that will disable the nouveau driver. And only then plug in the card.

24 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

Please help. I have a client with a 7600x CPU and rtx4070 GPU. His USB DAC is currently limited to dop dsd128. His music preference is classic rock and blues. What hqplayer 5.3 settings do you recommend.  We tried the new modulators and they wouldn't work.

Default settings are a good starting point:

1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator = ASDM7EC-light

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents and feed-back : I'm fine I purchased my Studio M1 for

memory usage is often over 16 ; maybe sometimes 64 would be even better than 32 RAM (RAM is very important too IMO) but that's marginal

I can play 2.0 64 DSD sources @512 with AMSDM 7EC 512. Perfect for the May. And maybe 256 is even enough to get most of the May. OK, for downmixed Mch SACD best I can do is 7EC Super @256, provided the files are first loaded in RAM (Jussi wrote that anyway there's RAM load but in practice it's often the difference between luck/no luck). Maybe a bit more power would be welcome then and once you heard say, Bitches Brew Quad SACD*, there's no turning back to 2.0 mix but.... seriously, are you playing Mch SACD, are you playing SACD at all ?

Because if not and if your DAC plays PCM fine with no need to make the heavy lift in HQP to present it easier to convert SDM, think twice. Have you tried limiting upsampling ?

Nowadays I up 4 x 88.2/96 & 192 files (I use convolution, might explain why I prefer 192 @ 768 rather than @384) and 8x 44.1 &48 to reach 352.8/384. Will be objected as technically inferior but I get much more enjoyable listening sessions (though admittedly inferior score on this or that sliced, zoomed on criteria) than with heavy SDM upsampling. Because of a tonal balance closer to mastering conditions while avoiding yet gross HF roll-off? Note that companies with experience in pro world (dCs, Merging...) don't offer PCM upsampling over 384. Why ?

I use poly sinc gauss long as standard whatever the original SR and NS5 (LNS15 with 192 source @768)

Christmas time is hardly peace time this year ; let this be my modest contribution to a mindset towards limitation of arms race 

*minding it's 00 coded, a different weighting of channels than in HQP manual