IGNORED

Is there any Device as good as or better than the LUMIN D1

2 hours ago, Kelly said:

I second the vote for Ayre Codex, especially of you have any interest in headphone use. If you need network and especially Roon connectivity, get an Allo USBridge to use with it and just be happy. The Allo is so good it makes it seem silly to spend significantly more on a streaming source, especially because the change is so rapid in that area.

looking for "off the shelf single box solution"...not a diy'er, so allo is out.

Your system chain in your tagline is interesting and unique.....would be worth a listen (grin).

Anyway, any recommendations inre an off the shelf network player/dac?

Anything promising on the horizon?

I am Currently considering auralic altair and lumin D1.

I own the Codex and the D1, both to me are devices that play above their dollar value.  the D1 its a hard streamer to beat. The Codex, love the unit it just does everything right.  I still have both and a A1 and a to darn bright Brooklyn.  All units are fed through a pre-amp(s).

The Truth Is Out There

Unless your married to Apple products, want to be, or currently own a large screen Andriod tablet or plan on buying one I would find a different option to the Lumin.

Seems like a decent option in general though if you have no plans to upgrade for many years. If you do decide to change DAC's then you may regret the Lumin purchase cause at that point it turns into a very expensive music server.

Do you already have a PreAmp for volume control?

37 minutes ago, cjf said:

Unless your married to Apple products, want to be, or currently own a large screen Andriod tablet or plan on buying one I would find a different option to the Lumin.

Seems like a decent option in general though if you have no plans to upgrade for many years. If you do decide to change DAC's then you may regret the Lumin purchase cause at that point it turns into a very expensive music server.

Do you already have a PreAmp for volume control?

actually, i thought that at first too....but they now have android ap as well, and they also support "open home" many other pc players will work as well...at least that i believe that is what i have heard.

i have integrated mcintosh amp.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:25 AM, beerandmusic said:

looking for "off the shelf single box solution"...not a diy'er, so allo is out.

Your system chain in your tagline is interesting and unique.....would be worth a listen (grin).

Anyway, any recommendations inre an off the shelf network player/dac?

Anything promising on the horizon?

I am Currently considering auralic altair and lumin D1.

I have no experience with any one-box solutions at this time. I would take a little exception with your characterization of the Allo as a DIY device. I purchased the USBridge and it came fully assembled and ready to run. Literally all I did was plug in the Ethernet cable and the power supply. Within 1 minute it was recognized by my Roon core. I have updated to the latest firmware with no issues. I appreciate your skepticism of it as a less than reliable solution, but it is just so damn good at its price that I can't fathom not using it unless you just have money to burn. If you want SPDIF then the DigiOne is an option that should be even better because it would't have any USB connectivity issues. My understanding is that anyone that has had issues with it is trying to use it beyond the original spec of 384khz/DSD128. For the price I consider it a nearly disposable solution. If something better comes along next year and I feel compelled to upgrade, then the $150 for the USBridge is something I won't feel too bad about losing.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

5 hours ago, Kelly said:

I have no experience with any one-box solutions at this time. I would take a little exception with your characterization of the Allo as a DIY device. I purchased the USBridge and it came fully assembled and ready to run. Literally all I did was plug in the Ethernet cable and the power supply. Within 1 minute it was recognized by my Roon core. I have updated to the latest firmware with no issues. I appreciate your skepticism of it as a less than reliable solution, but it is just so damn good at its price that I can't fathom not using it unless you just have money to burn. If you want SPDIF then the DigiOne is an option that should be even better because it would't have any USB connectivity issues. My understanding is that anyone that has had issues with it is trying to use it beyond the original spec of 384khz/DSD128. For the price I consider it a nearly disposable solution. If something better comes along next year and I feel compelled to upgrade, then the $150 for the USBridge is something I won't feel too bad about losing.

I apologize.  I googled the allo and saw a circuit board, when i first wrote that, but have already researched more, and see they have ready made products, and they do seem enticing for the price.

6 minutes ago, mjb said:

Why no Auralic love in this thread?

reliance on apple....no apples in this house....

I was considering the Altair, but i believe that was the reason it is no longer in consideration...but it may have been some other reason as well...I would have to refresh my memory...but i believe that is why i struck it off my list.

A base iPad isn’t too expensive in the big scheme of things, and it’s only used as a remote control so there’s no need to get into the Apple eco-system. Auralic products work and sound very good for the price, if you can control them. 

4 minutes ago, mjb said:

A base iPad isn’t too expensive in the big scheme of things, and it’s only used as a remote control so there’s no need to get into the Apple eco-system. Auralic products work and sound very good for the price, if you can control them. 

Actually, my wife recently bought an ipad (bitch, w/o my knowledge-grin), but i will never touch it...i would rather wait 5 years for auralic to develop another option....than to touch an apple.  Don't ask me why, i really don't know, but I won't.  Hell, i hardly will touch my android....let's just say i like the pc and the big monitor....i even send/receive texts from my pc.

3 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I am leaning strongly toward buying an Allo DigiOne running as a Roon bridge. This lets me avoid USB completely and it has a quality SPDIF output. 

i contemplated that for one second...but my insistence on native dsd tells me no...the usbridge, now maybe...but i still would prefer no interface and have ethernet to dac direct in one box.

• 2 years later...