IGNORED

Best USB cable to use between computer and dac?

Tog, the arguing ceased a while back. Please pay attention.

Concerning idle cables, I have found the ones that are fully run in, recover to full performance in about an hour or so of continuous use. It is an unfortunate variable, but at least we can be aware of it.

Very unfortunate for the early pioneers of specialty cables. I bet many of them scratched a good design, because break-in wasn't considered.

Having an alternate devise using a usb cable would be ideal, preferably something that is useful. You wouldn't want your printer, for example, to be printing for an hour or so. Any ideas ?

I have a burn in devise for cables, but no usb adaptors. I'll have to make some, or buy them from Dedicated Audio, who makes the Cable Cooker.

Tarq

• 2 weeks later...

Well I promised to sum up my impressions on the Audioquest Diamond and here they are. Maybe Chris Connaker will chime in and post his impressions. I read that he was using the Diamond while doing his Musical Fidelity Review and maybe his findings differ from mine.

To make a long story short - I will not buy the Audioquest. There was no further burn-in or settling in or warming up since posting a week ago and I like the Transparent much better and it is much better in some "objective" ways and the audioquest does some things extremely well. I wish the transparent had the same way with transients.... Seems to be a matter of taste. Yes and No. The Diamond costs more then 5 times as much then the Transparent. Which for me makes the Transparent a real bargain (with the QB-9 in my system).

The long story

After my last report I used the same burnin routine as described by christopher earlier in this thread and listened every once in a while and liked what I heard. I didnt have much time because I was quite busy. So I never had the chance to sit down for an hour or longer. Last Friday night I did my first a/bing. Exactly the same impressions as the last time. The Audioquest was astonishingly better in all ways. This time I wasnt surprised, So I listened a little bit to the audioquest and made some notes on the sound, changed to the Transparent and felt that there was no need to take notes. So after an hour or so I changed to the transparent and let it run all night. I listened to the transparent on Saturday an it had much improved. Then I changed to the Audioquest and listened to the same songs I heard the day before and compared to my notes. I think I heard a sligth difference in sound but am quite sure, that this has something to do with power. My system sounds different on weekends, daytime nighttime (wonderful past midnigth). So I concluded that not running for 12 hours did not harm the sound of the diamond and let the Transparent run in some more. I repeated the same procedure on sunday. No change. Except that I got really fed up with all this cable changing. What a pita (excuse me i normally do not talk this way). So on Sunday I felt, that it was not a good day for final evaluation.

Tonight my wife is not here. I put my kids to bed and started the final evaluation.

First of I did a quick a/b with a song I now well to see if the cables sounded extremely different (which they did in round 1). They both seemed to sound good and I neither had the impression that one of them sounded closed in.

So I started with the transparent. The last time I listened to a couple of songs and then changed the cable and listened to the same songs until I had an impression on the differences. This time. I listened to different parts/instruments and did a/b after each part/instrument.

First of I listened to some piano pieces (ECM, Verve records). I used one piece which I am sure of, just about every audiophile in the world who likes female voices (dont we all?) has. Diana Krall-Live in Paris- A case of you:

In this peace you can very easily hear her pedal work. The character of this pedal work differed between the two cables. The audioquest emphasized on the leading edge transients. It sounded lean and sharp. More like hearing the pedal alone. Not like hearing a pedal being hit, which makes the piano resonate in some way or maybe resonate the floor under the piano. This was the sound with the transparent. Listening at the same volume, the pedal work was more palpable with the Transparent - in a way that I could physically feel it. This was so much more involving that it was almost frigthning. I a/b about 3 times. I suddenly realised that I heard some coughings in the audience with the transparent I did not hear with the audioquest. This was very interesting, because the first impression was, that the audioquest was more revealing then the transparent. Seemingly not. Then I just listened to the coughings in this recording because I really wanted to get down to the differences. At about 45s you hear somebody cough in the audience (this is the second time she coughs, the first time it sounds as if she is trying to surpess it. The second time she cant). With either cable you can clearly hear the coughing and have an impression on how far this coughing is away from the stage. But with the transparent you not only hear the coughing noise. I also hear how the air rushes (I hope you all understand what I am saying. If not just cough for the fun of it and listen how the air rushes out of your mouth.). I do not hear that with the audioquest.

I was then wondering why I had the feeling that the audioquest is more resolving? I think the temperature is lower with the audioquest (I think this describes it best) and the audioquest seems to be faster sounding. It has something correct. But not in terms of naturalness more so in terms of teutonic correctnes (I am German, so I know about teutonic correctness).

I then listened to some more piano on ECM Records (Yes I also listened to dianas voice ;-)). Then I came down to what the difference really is. The transparent has much more harmonic richness (can you say that in English?). It does not emphasize transients as much as the audioquest. With the audioquest you can much easilier follow the left hand on any piano work I listened to. But I did not get involved with the music half as much as with the transparent. Pianos just seemed more natural, bigger, consisting of wood.

Next I listened to Anna Netrebko because I wanted to know which cable would bring me closer to her. I listened to Lloyd Webbers Requiem - quite cheezy but it can sound quite spectacular with the organ in the background and the choir. There it was again: harmonic richness with the transparent and transient perfectness with the audioquest. Now I knew why I also had the impression that the audioquest was more resolving. The seperation between instruments in orchestral works is much better if the transients are emphasized. BUT: the transparent just got so much more of the organ (I didnt have to wait for Anna). With the transparent the organ sounded like a pipe resonating. With the Audioquest it was a much smaller pipe and there was no resonance. This did not sound half as natural as compared to the Transparent. The difference in other instruments was not as easy to hear, but with the organ the difference was shockingly clear.

No I knew what to listen for. So I listened to some acoustic guitar. Wood and resonance with the transparent and the squiking of fingers. Clarity with the audioquest. Now I am sure. The transparent is much more resolving then the audioquest.

I listened to some HDTT downloads. Very interesting. You can hear the difference between the two cables before one note is played. With the Transparent I hear the tape hiss and rumble much more (which isnt exactly what you want to hear) but you also hear more information (harmonics, wood, deeper bass) and so much more emotion. Right now I am listening to Beethovens Violin Concerto in D (2nd movement) and I started of with the audioquest and moved to the transparent. If you focus on the harmonics the two cables are worlds apart.

I made up my mind. I will not buy the Audioquest. But I urge everyone out there to try different usb cables. They make a sustainable difference. And as allways: more expensive is not necessarily better.

If you like a sound that is discribed as fast, then please audition the audioquest. If you have a QB-9 and are looking for a usb cable, please audition the Transparent.

For the Germans: I also compared both cables to the AQVOX. The AQVOX is not nearly as good as the audioquest.

So I will gladly listen to the transparent from now on - knowing that this is one hell of a cable and very competitive.

I contacted Transparent to ask them about their plans on building a "better" usb cable and they replied that they first have to sell the current production before they invest in a more elaborate usb cable.

I would very much like to hear different opinions on the diamond. Anyone out there?

Greetings from Berlin

Claudius

Claude,

Thanks for taking the time documenting all your hard work. It is really a pain to do. I like that you got down to comparing some subtile sounds to contrast the cables. I've just decided it is time to check out some better cables, I have a QB-9 and am currently using a Starlight. I've had a Ridge Street on order for several weeks, I'll probably see how it holds up against a Tricon. If that doesn't get me where I want to be, I guess I'll be upgrading DACs. JD

I second JDFlood. Your time and effort is very much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with so much detail.

Looks like I will take another listen to different USB cables with the QB-9.

On a side note, I’m also a huge fan of Diana Krall’s version of A Case Of You. I regularly listen to DK. Also enjoy versions of A Case Of You that range from Joni Mitchell (orig) to Prince (tribute).

One issue with Krall’s version on Live In Paris is that someone left the drum head snares on. Doubt it was intentional. That’s the buzzing noise in the background along with glasses clinking, waiters doing their stuff and people coughing.

None-the-less, Diana Krall’s version has a certain je ne sais quoi. It’s just awesome. And the piano accompaniment as opposed to guitar is most welcome here...

Cheers to you and many thanks!

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Based on your posts, it seems like you are smart, witty, fun, challenging, inquisitive, self-aware dude...

i can think of a lot of positives.

If you are leaning in the direction of voltairian jousting...please allow me to ask why?

Personally, I enjoy your posts here and away from CA on your site. I also find value in Claude's post.

Hope all is cool...

Respectfully,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

One issue with Krall’s version on Live In Paris is that someone left the drum head snares on. Doubt it was intentional. That’s the buzzing noise in the background along with glasses clinking, waiters doing their stuff and people coughing.

Is that what I hear (most evident)after the second verse that ends with "darling"....it almost sounds as if some noise is modulating with the pedals............

I think Claude is on to something. And I thoroughly enjoyed his efforts here -- but I also know what a PITA he went through to do it. So, why "reinvent the wheel"? Wouldn't it be interesting to use that work as a baseline for looking at additional cables? No, it's nothing more than another data point and yes, YMMV and all that, but it'd be an interesting data point, no? Big.

Dunno, seemed like a good idea to me.

Oh, and better him than me. That's all I'm sayin'. ;-)

For me, the snare drum starts to vibrate in the beginning of A Case of You. I hear it in the very beginning until the first cough @ 8 or 9 seconds and throughout the entire recording.

Personally, I don’t think a drummer is playing during the recording. The sound of “snare" wires vibrating underneath the drum could sound like brushes to some, but not to me.

In fairness, I wasn’t at the concert and anything is possible. For me, the sound I hear in my system seems unmistakably like a vibrating snare drum and not a drummer using brushes.

Best regards,

Chris

Hi Scot,

Aside from USB cables, I ordered a bunch of Myrtlefeet from Jeff today. As usual, enjoyed your review and comments.

Keep'n the faith here with an open mind...

Best regards,

Chris

Are you sure that is the snare drum? It sounds like it corresponds with when she is operating the pedal. Possibly it is the sound of the movement of the dampener going up and down on the strings. The mic might be in close proximity picking it up.

Diana 1st min of coughing that I hear

Coughing at 4-5,17,30-32,40-41,44 sec.

I am using the Ridge street alethias usb cable. I will probably get my offramp 4 within the next couple of weeks. That should help with my detail retrieval.

Imac > Offramp4 > Ayon Skylla > Eddie Current B.A./Stax 717 > LCD-3/SR007 mk1

Just a quick reply.

I will listen to the coughings tonight (what a crazy thing to do).

About the Pedal work: i am all with you. Close miced seems to be a good explanation. To my ears there is no snare drum. Definetly pedals.

Claudius

Hi Claudius

Were all the cables tested of the same length ?

I would have thought that differences between shorter USB cables such as 1M length would be far less obvious.

Personally, I would try to use the shortest available length that would do the job. Nevertheless, a very well written writeup of your results. I just wish I could afford to spend >US$90 on a Transparent USB cable ! I also suspect that the game will change markedly when USB 3.0 with it's much wider bandwidth and greatly improved construction becomes more commonplace.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

that folks strive to hear all the extraneous background noises, like someone cough in the audience or a car horn blowing outside the concert hall or club. While many that digitize vinyl want to edit out minor record surface noise that is no more objectionable than when playing the LP.

Why don't the professionals in recording and mastering remove these extraneous background noises from digital music like the coughing or glasses clinking mentioned in these posts? Is it that in the process of removing this minor bad stuff they would also remove some of the good stuff? Or perhaps in using processes to remove these extraneous background noises they would alter some of the naturalness and essence of the music itself by adding bad stuff?

The sins of omission versus the sins of commission.

Why would you want to remove sounds actually present in live recordings? Background sounds give a sense of the room/hall (as they can define the dimensions of the space) and of the event to the recording, I do not think the goal of a live recording should be to present the music as if it was made in a studio. Well done live recordings draw me into the music and the sense of the event, and subtle crowd sounds contribute to being drawn in.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi Alex,

thanks.

The cable length is 1m Transparent and 1,5 m for the Audioquest. Cable length probably matters (as always) but in what way and to what extent I do not know. I dont even want to think about a 0,7 m Audioquest sounding significantly better then the 1,5m length.

Why dont you look for a used transparent?

I am not sure about 3.0. I imagine it will still matter how well a cable is built to specs and not only that it reaches the specs. But since almost everything seems to matter with computeraudio, 3.0 just might be a gamechanger.

I understand your comment as positive feedback to my listening abilities? ;-)

Nevertheless, help me with the term "petcables". I dont know what that means. (Cables which are lying around and are of no particular use other then to be swapped in whenever we feel that our usual stuff does not work?)

Claudius

Not only don't I want to remove sounds actually present in live recordings, I don't think that it is possible to remove these bad sounds like someone coughing without removing some of the good sounds of the music and ambience. That said, for me there are limits and if some background sounds are too loud or objectionable I would prefer that they be gone; they should be removed even if that means taking out some of the good stuff.

I just did a quick check on the coughing. (You should have seen the faces of my wife and children just a second ago when I answered their question as to why I start the same song over and over)

There is also a cough at about 7 and about 28s.

I think I like listening for background noise. This really keeps me away from the music. ;-)

Did you compare the ridge street to other cables?

Claudius

I was just wondering if that slight impression of a cable taking a minute or so to warm up might be no more than the listener getting used to the music being turned back on and taking a short while to regain their focus?

After all there is zero measurement data to show any cable ever burning in or warming up. ;-)

17\"MB-Pro-Weiss 202-Muse 200- NS 1000M

OK, gotcha.

I think Claude is right on in what he is listening for, as these very low level details are a good test of the ultimate resolution of a system. Subtle details, way down close to the noise floor can be a good indicator of what is going on, without having to rely on "knowing" the exact timbre of a given instrument (which is often impossible to know, unless one was present during the recording session, and has perfect auditory memory). Small details, when present, will better define the timbre of an instrument accurately; Hence I think it is valid to judge low level resolution by the presence/sound of these small details.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I thought I heard a cough at 28sec too. I will have to go back and check out the one at 7sec. It was a little noisy in the room at the time. My wife and son were playing the wii. I used to have the locus axis cable. The locus cable didnt do anything for me compared to a cheap usb cable. I didnt have the cables at the same time so I was unable to compare them. I havent taken the time to compare the R.S. cable to a cheap one yet.

Imac > Offramp4 > Ayon Skylla > Eddie Current B.A./Stax 717 > LCD-3/SR007 mk1