IGNORED

Article: Free Higher Resolution Upgrades*

Only Apple can do that. Only. Of course they will charge extra money from you via iTunes music store (yes, indeed, cos downloads sells dramatically down today), and you will paid more or consumes lossy mayby for less (yes, downloads, not stream hi-res via AM). So, if Apple do that... you have to spend a lot of $$$ for music in better quality. Sad but true.

Alternative? Near zero. Qobuz is v.expensive and accesable only on some markets. Music is different story Chris, you have very cheap options today (ofc it's ~90% lossy compressed) and many consumers don't want pay extra for subtle differences (for them its subtle - for me and you not, but for them...). When you have BD UHD set (not very expenssive today) you have better quality in video territory. Now. Movies on BD cost a lot, but...

4k video stream today is v. similar to lossy compressed music files. Yes, thats truth, but future is bright imho. You have new technologies, new, very fast standards (mobile / WiFi), new options on market. Music, like I said, it's different story. Mayby Apple give us smth like iTunes Match Hres, mayby, but I think they really want extra charge for that and sells a lot of files via iTunes once again. Yes, iTunes now is very odd, lossy files (albums) for 10$ is odd, they must do smth with that, but not like you want.

So, better SQ files in Apple world? Yes, of course, for XX $ more. Subscription? Mayby but for min.99$ (Match Hres) per y/ or 49 per /y (when you buy HomePod).

• 3 weeks later...

Well Tidal has this system of upgrades from 16/44.1 to MQA and the library is still expanding. But this is not for an average consumer and keep in mind that not all Hi Rez is good just because of horrible dynamic range. 

All for casual usage is in Spotify - full multipaltfrom experience and Spotify Connect.

if Apple will implement an lossless and MQA streaming into Apple Music it will be a real deal for someone who uses iTunes libriary for years