IGNORED

Need to change HDs in my NAS - recommendations plz!

@mcgillroy Quiet and fast do not usually run in parallel when it comes to HDDs. It sounds more like SSD - silent and fast. However, if you are looking at HDDs, the 5400 rpm drives (such as the WD Red) usually run quieter than the 7200 rpm drives, while 7200 rpm drives are faster. The 7200 rpm drives also run hotter, so do consider this if you are placing the NAS in an enclosed area, like a closet.

While looking at drives, also consider reliability. Backblaze does publish their own failure data from running their data pods and data centres.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

I also find the WD Red to be fine for a server. Quiet enough (from 6 feet away or so I almost never am aware of them, and even close up you don't hear much) and work well.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Umm . I bought a WD Red 750GB 2.5" NAS HD and use in my Nuc 7i3 running Roon ROCK.  It's  nosier than I expected. I can clearly hear it 9 feet away.  I get away with it since my NUC is in a cupboard.  

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

I run 4 x WD Red 4tb in my DS412.  They run quiet and out of a total of 9 of these drives, I've only had one fail in the NAS.  The HDD was covered under warranty and with the mfr SHR, was able to rebuild the drive.  I used WD Red 3tb before and zero failures on those.  The 4tb failure came after about 5 months FWIW.  Look for them on sale.  I buy a couple every now and then

FLAC and AIF files mainly 192/24 and lower on Synology DS412 4x4Tb WD Red  in SHR2>direct ethernet to NUC>Intel NUC5PPYH w/JR Media 20 Akasa Newton P fanless case and DIY o11 LPS>Straightwire USB cable>W4S Recovery w/LPS>W4S DAC2DSD V2 w/Femto clock>Kimber Silver Streak balanced>Balanced Audio Technology VK3000SE>Kimber Monocle XL>Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders

• 1 month later...

I have just bought a new DS1517+ NAS and added 3 WD Red Pro 8G drives. 7200RPM overkill...

Very quiet. About the same subjective volume as my DS710+ with 2 drives. 

Can recommend the WD Red Pro drives. :)

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

I've never had an HDD fail that wasn't kicked or knocked around when on.  Get the cheapest possible.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

15 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I've never had an HDD fail that wasn't kicked or knocked around when on.  Get the cheapest possible.

Then I would respectfully suggest that you have been very fortunate. 

See the article quote above (https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/) - even datacentres with optimal handling, environmental management etc. have a drive failure rate of several percent per year.

I suggest getting HDDs that are designed for NAS use. Western Digital Red seem to be a favorite of many.

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes