IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

I realise that policing of laws may be poor in certain countries and jurisdictions, but that does not negate the rule of the law. An individual may take his chances with the law, chancing that he will not get prosecuted. However, let's be clear, copyright infringement is breaking the law. Whether you get caught, and get prosecuted for it, has no bearing on that.

I live a country that has lots of arcane laws which do not make sense. Finding no basis of logic in these laws does not give me the right to break them. Correspondingly, if I choose to break these laws, I do stand the chance of prosecution in the legal system.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

11 minutes ago, agladstone said:

The problem now that I suspect (my experience with Blu-Ray Audio or CD's that I own that come with a download code), is that the download code is for Lossy MP3 or equivalent! What we need is to be able to buy the LP or CD jacket and booklet only and have a download code for 24bit FLAC files of that Media! That there would be a market for!! (a very small market I'm sure, but it would exist)! 

Yup, I am disappointed when I see that the download code is only for mp3s, especially for Blu-Ray audio purchases!

11 minutes ago, Bystander said:

I've had a few instances of vinyl records coming with a code for a lossless (sometimes even hi-res) download. But too often it is indeed for MP3 versions. Unfortunately you can't really rely on it being one or the other. In some cases, it is specified beforehand that a CD will be included, so you know you'll get lossless versions at least.

From memory, I only got access to hi-res downloads, with Peter Gabriel's vinyl remasters. I also got hi-res downloads with the Blu-Ray audio for Tears For Fears' "Songs from the Big Chair", but unfortunately, no joy for "The Hurting".

@Paul R I have realised that no amount of discourse on this topic (keeping rips after one sells/gives away one's CDs) is going to change the minds of people who already do.

While many recognise that it is against the prevailing law, they rationalise that some failure in the law (policing) or the corrupt nature of the music industry (unequal distribution of income), then allows them to disregard the law. While some have also admitted that they are willing to face any consequences, if prosecuted for their actions, others have been painfully silent (I think some of them may go so far as to even support P2P distribution of pirated music, just to spite the music labels).

As some have proposed, and I agree to, let us just agree to disagree...

23 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

And that's the core issue.  One's sovereign right to discern, free of any authority, whether or not a law is just.  To rely upon one's innate ability to question, to explore, to find out.  And from that centered point, make their *personal* decision about how to relate.   When we strip the surface layers of society away, we are not robots running on auto pilot.  Each day, each moment we are making choices.

Well said. I do agree that it is up to each of us to understand the law, and to question and challenge it, if we think it unjust. However, there are those who would want to take advantage of the law (and whatever loopholes that exist) for their own benefit; and simultaneously not taking responsibility for their actions.

Like some of us agree, break the law with your eyes wide-open and ready to bear any consequences. Some would try to place the blame on others, and plead personal ignorance or similar, to escape from such prosecution. Hence I believe that we should put it in black and white, lest people claim that we in the forum never warned them of these potential ramifications of their actions.

14 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

i doubt there is one person here that doesn't have in their possession at least one copyrighted sound track,video,picture, or movie they didn't pay for.....

I freely admit that I have copyrighted music that I didn't pay for. There is lots of free copyright music available, including samplers, and freebies from magazine subscriptions, etc.