Thank-you @Superdad ... makes sense as to why there is an audible difference.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

2 hours ago, Abtr said:

I only know dropouts. Can you explain what you mean with a fleeting low-level glitch?

Difficult to describe .... a brief soft skip every so often ... but not like a dropout that I experienced before, which is quite jarring by comparison.

Having gone thru a process of elimination, It seems this may have something to do with SonarWorks True-Fi  that I use between the Audirvana player and the EITR (my ageing ears appreciate the headphone frequency response correction !). Strangely, I can't hear it with the HECATE DDC + LPS-1.

Possibly something to do with clipping if the True-Fi output level is too high ... might the EITR be more susceptible to that ? The DAC ? Dunno.

I'll do some further listening and swap-outs.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

A music aside ... I've been listening to the album 'Remember Love' - Houston Person & Ron Carter ... just tenor saxophone and double-bass ... a stunning recording wonderfully reproduced in my office system with the EITR + LPS-1. Ron Carter's double-bass is magnificently clear and natural.

• 1 month later...

Sadly, they have not been available for MONTHS in either Schiit Europe store. Perhaps, supply issues with the EU power supplies ?

• 1 month later...

Thank-you @Abtr for the heads-up. Good to know they haven't canned it (yet). I wonder which parts are in short supply.

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught this comment from Jason Stoddard on another place ...

quote: "Yep, I think we have one more run of Eitr on deck, then it's gone. Eitr and Wyrd are both done when the stocks run out--USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore."

So, there we have it ... "USB has gotten so much better" ...  I'm not sure I agree with that statement. How so ?

It seems that Schiit believe that the advent of UAC2 in Windows 10 and advances in MAC OS's have made the need for USB 'handlers' irrelevant. They also believe that their UNISON technology will overcome any remaining issues. But if there is no EITR/UNISON equivalent replacement then we seem to be reliant on buying new product equipped with UNISON... unless there will be an upgrade path for existing gear, in my case Gungnir MB. For me, shipping from France for an upgrade is a pain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 8:49 PM, Abtr said:

.... Anyhow, I think Jason Stoddard's assertion that "USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices [EITR] anymore", is not true. At least it's not compatible with my personal experience with EITR in my system. Indeed, SHIIT may see EITR as some kind of threat to their new UNISON technology.

Agreed ... you make a valid point, IMO ,about the threat to UNISON based products.

No question over quality of EITR ... I think it essentially competes with their UNISON technology because the EITR uses a C-Media USB receiver, whereas UNISON will be their own-brew. It's more likely a marketing decision.

No, I don't think it's 'hype' ... although the jury is out about how good UNISON might be ... for now. I suspect all their C-Media based products will eventually disappear once UNISON hits.

• 3 weeks later...

EITR back in stock at Schiit Europe (Netherlands) ... ordered ! Might one of the last ones available ... as Jason Stoddard said, this is the last production run.

30 minutes ago, Abtr said:

Did he actually say it is the last production run? Can you provide a link? If so, I'll buy some more. ;)

PM sent 

2 minutes ago, Abtr said:

... according to JS "USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore." 

This is the key 'snake oil' line IMHO ...  JS: "USB has gotten so much better..." . I hear no evidence for that .. out of my Win10 PC or iMac or MacMini, EITR improves the schiit out of the USB coming from those computers.

There is possibly another reason ... with UNISON coming out in their DAC products ... and in the absence of an EITR-UNISON,  there is a greater 'encouragement ' for people to invest in the newer DACs rather than upgrade them via an EITR. It would drive greater sales of the more lucrative items in their product line. I'm not saying that's wrong ... it makes good business sense and funds future R&D/Engineering costs.

EDIT: IOW ...perhaps EITR cannibalised the higher ticket price items too much.

Point taken, although I was really more getting at the fact the JS is not intending to produce an EITR-UNISON version (whatever that may turn out to be). UNISON will almost certainly be patented ... but I'm guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

UNISON, aka Schiit's homebrew USB handler to replace C-Media, will likely NOT appear in an EITR type product ... from what's been said by JS in the past. At this stage, it seems, it is destined only within Schiit DACs, either new product (e.g Bifrost2) or as an upgrade to existing upgradeable DAC products, sometime early 2020.

Might be worth it ... and if you're in the mood to splash a bit more cash, a couple of us have hooked up an Uptone LPS to inject clean 5v power into the EITR to avoid dirty power from the source PC or MAC. I think it makes a worthwhile difference ... YMMV

I'm not sure about the need for the ISORegen ... so, perrhps you could use the Uptone LPS for the EITR (with the right connector). Kill the 'cat' ... metaphorically speaking, of course !

Ok, then perhaps the LPS isn't necessary for the EITR as it's getting a clean power/signal from the ISORegen ... if I understand your chain correctly.

@creativepart .. Yes, you're quite right ... the main (Schiit) power supply stays. It's the 5v through USB that is not isolated, from what's been said, and that's where the benefit is, IMO.

I just received my last EITR (probably) ... and I took notice of the serial numbers ...  of the first one I bought in 2017 (soon after it was launched) and the most recent one ... I'm really not sure if they run consecutively .. the prefix is the same tho' ... but the difference is only 2186. That really doesn't sound like an awfully high number to me for the period of time involved.

Yes, my view is that the CD-Transport is speculative, based on some comments Mike Moffat made some time ago ... possibly a wish rater than an actual product at this stage,

I missed that update... less speculative than I first thought !

• 2 weeks later...

@Blake ... yes, I use the BNC input on the Schiit Gungnir ... in my experience, its USB (pre-Gen5) is the worst input, and I find the BNC input rather better than RCA, especially from EITR. I may consider the new UNISON USB upgrade when it becomes available ... depending on cost and the shipping circumstances after Brexit, as I would have to post to the UK.

@Holzohr  I bought the Gungnir from Schiit-UK originally so perhaps I am obliged to use them for servicing ... not sure if that's the case. I'll check nearer the time when the upgrade will be available.