IGNORED

How DOES the grounding boxes work?

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Nope. 

Didn't drink salamander hormones and chop off a finger to see if it would grow back either.  I guess in some people's eyes I am unqualified to speak to the effectiveness of salamander hormones or grounding boxes.

Ha! semi-obscure biology reference of the day!

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

I am a personal believer in that scientist is just a person with an extremely curious mind.

Above all keep it civil and without any personal attacks or stupid comments please! ?

your OP made personal attacks if not a stupid comment

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I'm the OP. Do I have to explain the difference between personal attacks and stupid comments?

OP also mean original post

you (perhaps inadvertently) dissed scientists - but I figure you don't really know what science is anyway, so don't worry

8 hours ago, 4est said:

If you call that a personal attack, you must not get out much as many would consider being "extremely curious" as a compliment.

You are betraying your own ignorance of science,  the fundamental basis of our civilization.

That says a lot about you 

4 hours ago, Jud said:

If you want to be scientific, there are studies about this.  Being confrontationally oppositional with individuals whose beliefs do not make sense has been shown in scientific studies to make them believe *even more strongly*.  ...

I've only seen a single study on that and it has been criticized heavily

More fundamentally, others read the posts here too.

Not to say that AJ was not his usual charming self :D

OTOH, he was most likely correct

1 hour ago, 4est said:

This says a lot about you as well, if you think curiosity is not a part of scientific studies. Of course what does a layman as me know, you are the prof.

not only do you not know much, you are misquoting me - is it intentional??

3 hours ago, marce said:

Of course for these electron pools to work we have to discard the fact that electrons only move about 0.002mm/s so it would take them quite some time to get anywhere and thats just with a D.C. voltage when you get on to A.C. they just wiggle about a bit, so we can forget all these sort of tweaks

not clear what your speed comment is about

are you confusing electron flow with electrical flow?

6 minutes ago, wgscott said:

The thread itself is a troll.

Anyone who thinks sand in a box is a ground has sand in their head.  Anyone who sells such a thing as a grounding device should probably have a chat with their liability attorney.

The thread itself [should be] a troll.  

Unfortunately for modern civilisation, it is quite possible that the thread is in earnest and is merely the result of contemporary liberal arts education.  Just like the very well educated woman in Tiburon who was an anti-VAXer who, when questioned, responded that she had looked into it and was well qualified to assess the information on the topic because she had a liberal arts degree from a renowned liberal arts college.

50 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I went to one of those liberal arts colleges.  

That ain't where this comes from.

I thought you were a Bezerkely-ite - grad. school?

my point tho is there is insufficient science education in the liberal arts curriculum (and what there is, tends to teach science as a body of knowledge, not as a procedure for understanding reality)

I agree.  The science faculty would much rather spend time discovering the secrets of the universe (or a small fraction thereof) than argue with a committee of liberal arts people for more science course requirements.

... not to mention the disinterest in teaching difficult things to disinterested undergrads

but the idea that all viewpoints are equally relevant is pervasive in liberal arts education and untrue in fields where actual knowledge is required

if the Mainiac college is the one I'm thinking of it is a very fine school