IGNORED

Ayre QB-9 power cable

For those of us into such things, I just swapped out the power cable on my Ayre QB-9. First of all, I know a lot of you think this is totally bogus and that's cool.

For those of us who are open to the idea, this is one of the most striking examples I have seen. I have tried a Shunyata Python and, better yet, a power cable that a guy who used to work for me designed and built. It is truly better, not just a change. More focus, top end very detailed but not at all smeared. I did it on a whim and can't get the grin off of my face.

I'm not really trying to start a thread, just thought I would mention it to QB-9 owners open to experimentation.

Best

Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

So maybe I'm not crazy. On the other hand, to quote my mother, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you...

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you......

I've often wondered how easy that would be to translate to another language :-)

BTW, I use and love my home made power cables based on Dueland single strand cotton covered copper http://www.partsconnexion.com/ on my Paganini. Preferred to several name brands including Shunyata Anaconda, and they cost nearly zip to make.

best

Murray

"the one thing I can't stand is intolerance"

"fools and children shouldn't see things half done"

"I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure"

OK, so I couldn't pick which one to sign off with :-)

Actually Murray, poor grammar and all, that's what she meant. In other words don't discount the fact that they may be after you even though you know that you're paranoid and it could be a delusion. Admittedly, not a normal family... at least in terms of sense of humor.

Rick

Sorry Scot, I don't know. My guy is the one into it. He presented me with the first finished product for an evaluation and I kept it :~)

Rick

My experience was similar, I swapped out a Shunyata Anaconda Helix for a Black Sands Silver Reference and couldn't believe the difference. The Black Sands (at about 1/3 the price) was a clear standout - much more detailed and lively. Of course the same power cable swap on my amp gave the opposite result - the Black Sands was way too harsh. So I settled on running the Anaconda on my amp and the Black Sands on the QB-9. I'd be interested to hear what other people are using on their QB-9.

Hi Scott,

I just lightly twisted - about 1 twist per 6" - three cores of wire described as by Partsconnexion as

"Duelund Hookup Wire-71189 14.5 awg, round solid-core HC-OFC Copper". USD 4.50 /ft

A sleeve of something innocuous should be added to enclose all three as the cotton insulation is not super thick, though seems very rugged.

I and others found it very good. Slightly warm and rich. Friends tried the similar Duelund Silver wire and preferred it in their system, but it was too thin and bright sounding for mine.

Another trick, for what it might be worth was to star or daisy chain my four box player power circuit - ie one mains plug runs to the dac then I split it off to three runs, one each to the transport, the upsampler, and the clock. I kid myself that this helps by keeping the kit at very similar ground potentials. Some Japanese have always put a separate chassis ground connection on their kit that allows you to do pretty much the same thing - I've no idea why the rest of the world has not followed this idea. The approach worked well too when I included an integrated as the start of the daisy chain (plug to integrated to dac then starred as above).

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's results with this.

best

Murray

Guest Claude

Use Lessloss DFPC Signature. Bought one and was so satisfied with the sound, that I bougth two more. The sound is very natural.

Highly recommended.

Claude

I have used Virtual Dynamics power cables and have been very pleased with them. Their main concept is dealing with micro vibrations and cryo treating their wire as well. I just got Alan Maher's new Infinity Strings cable to connect my power conditioner to the wall with solid effect. Very pleased. I wasn't a believer until I tried one on my Mac Pro and really enjoyed what I heard; switched back to stock and the "magic" went away. I now have them on both of my monitors and interface as well. One aspect of why it's not surprising that "better" power cables work is because most power supplies in audio whether it be the gear in your house or even major studios give off fair amounts of EMI, this is one of the most common problems in studios as far as noise / hum problems goes, a dying or poorly designed supply. Take an EMF meter into a studio around the racks, most audiophiles would be horrified. Your power supply may not be as good as you think ;) Power is beyond essential especially in the digital audio world.

david is hear[br]http://www.tuniverse.tv