IGNORED

Roon Switches From UDP to TCP

I use an sMS-200ultra endpoint, and did not notice any difference in SQ. However, I cannot tell if TCP is engaged as soon as you use Core v 1.3 build 234, or if there is an upgrade needed on the Roon Ready code version of the endpoint. The sMS-200 v0.3.8 firmware runs Roon Ready v1.1.19.

If I am reading correctly, there should be very minimal dependence on the Roon Ready version, because as stated, the design of RAAT is to deliver the protocol code to the endpoint "just in time" from the core, rather than baking it into the firmware. This would suggest protocol changes like this should kick in immediately.

If I were motivated, I could do some packet captures and look for the presence of absence of UDP datagrams on the wire, but honestly, I'm not really motivated. As long as SQ does not degrade... I also hope this reduces the incidence of drop outs, pauses, and other glitches that can plague a UDP-based scheme.

@Quadman - yes I agree. In fact, reading the build notes confirms it:

This change rolls out as part of the update to your Roon Core--which will use the new protocol when speaking to all RAAT-based zones. Aside from updating the core, no firmware or software updates are required on any of your devices.

It does make sense that if TCP processing can be done more efficiently, with lower CPU and memory utilization, this should improve SQ. Looking back, I just didn't get a chance to do a careful before and after comparison, which is why it's impossible for me to tell if there was an improvement in SQ.