IGNORED

Gutwire banana plub bent , please advise

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

True, but solder will give a better connection

Are you saying i can use solder to strengthen the bend/crip . Or after i put a new end on , then use solder ?

Im wondering would solder impede the signal if i used it on the banana itself ?

Apologies in case im being daft 

have sympathy...

OP, I assume you cannot return the cables.  If you can, do so.  There is no reason to spend > $100 on speaker cables.

It won't hurt anything to cut the end off.  Go ahead and get the screw on spade terminals pictured above.  Just don't pull hard on them, and in 10 or 15 years you may have some corrosion to clean off.

Good Luck!

Despite a few people stating opinions for facts, this site has more knowledgeable people on it than other audio sites I know of.  You can greatly improve your system by doing some of the things here, whether you set a cost limit of $400 for a=the entire system, or a cost limit of $10,000 for the speakers alone.

I'll suggest moving your speakers around in the room and doing room treatments to begin with.

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

have sympathy...

OP, I assume you cannot return the cables.  If you can, do so.  There is no reason to spend > $100 on speaker cables.

It won't hurt anything to cut the end off.  Go ahead and get the screw on spade terminals pictured above.  Just don't pull hard on them, and in 10 or 15 years you may have some corrosion to clean off.

Good Luck!

Despite a few people stating opinions for facts, this site has more knowledgeable people on it than other audio sites I know of.  You can greatly improve your system by doing some of the things here, whether you set a cost limit of $400 for a=the entire system, or a cost limit of $10,000 for the speakers alone.

I'll suggest moving your speakers around in the room and doing room treatments to begin with.

thank you

11 hours ago, esldude said:

Honestly I would hope they might help out a customer especially if they received more than $1k for the product.  Most especially if it sort of failed in 24 hours.  How much do they want to let you send it back and have them re-terminate it?  They didn't spend more than a few dollars for the banana (even some cheap ones wouldn't have bent so easily).  So material cost for them to repair it is not much.  Time to do it might be a little something if the wiring is intricate.  Or maybe they have a machine doing it and no one does such things for them.

I would think it too much, but if they asked for $100 on some $1k plus cables it would make me feel better to pay it and get it made right.   Spades would be better for your situation, but you are past that decision now.  They probably made an $800 profit on those so surely they could help a customer out.

Nope it will cost me 

One banana plug with parts and labor are CAN $40.00 + Shipping + Tax
Four spades with parts and labor are CAN $150.00 + Shipping + Tax

To be honest it is way cheaper than i had imagined , but leaves me wondering if it is that cheap why not give a customer who spent over 1k a one time break 

That would really make me feel good about the company , and i would feel compelled to spread the good news 

Im not as disappointed in them as i am with moon audio (USA)

I ve spent thousands of dollars on their cables , i think my HD-800 cables were about 1k or more USD , just that one

I ve had a few problems with their weak connections , but love their sound 

At one point i was expected to pay half for repairs on  one problem cable ,plus shipping , the other cable was for my Future sonics MG6 pros , they would not fix them , they said it was too expensive to start the machine up for just 1 repair 

I politely suggested that i was in no hurry , "please just leave them on a shelf until you start the machine again and fix my one end please "

They refused , did nt offer me anything to correct this .

Also note (at least on HD-800s at least ) its best to just leave cables in , dont switch in and out . Where you have to pull , the connection is weak and will crimp .

They make awesome sounding cables , but im very disillusioned with their support .

thats why i ve went somewhere else for cables and wont return to moon .

PS if anyone knows of a place who will reterminate/repair my damaged moon cables , please advise me here .

Esp my MG 6 pros . i have such cheap cables on my DAP since my moons failed ,nice , damaged moon cables sit in my sock drawer . wasted money 

Cheers mates

Since i find folks here who are confident enough to reterminate their own gear ill ask this here . If i need a new thread , ill apologize and do a new thread .

As i stated earlier moon fell out of favour with me , and i still have their cables they cant/wont repair , but they sound great in spite of this bad experience .

Please see attached 

1. Is a mini to MG6 pro ( future sonics CIEM) The mini is fine , but the MG6 ends need to be reterminated  or repaired . Just one of them has a short in connection .No hope in hell i can reterm that one 
2. Is likely my easiest option . 

Thats big end is a RSA SR71B end (i flogged my RSA the cable still works) The MG 6 pros are fine on  this cable .
 I just need the RSA end reterminated to a mini .
Is there somewhere , other than moon , i can send this to have the RSA reterminated to a mini ? Or is this a job that i should be comfty with ?

Also advice on tools i would need and where to get the best mini end i can would be appreciated 

Cheers 

1.mini to mg6.jpg

2.RSA to mg6.jpg

You might check audio adviser, they have a guy that works for them that does all there terminations. Just don't know if they only do there cables. That said I did a double run of cables on my rig ,I got a set of audioquest  screw on ,like the ones shown above from music direct ,it was a piece of cake putting them on. The screws make an incredibly good connection ,the quality of the spades would be light years ahead of what you have now,and would give you much better sound.

4 hours ago, bgoc said:

You might check audio adviser, they have a guy that works for them that does all there terminations. Just don't know if they only do there cables. That said I did a double run of cables on my rig ,I got a set of audioquest  screw on ,like the ones shown above from music direct ,it was a piece of cake putting them on. The screws make an incredibly good connection ,the quality of the spades would be light years ahead of what you have now,and would give you much better sound.

Thanks

"audio adviser" Is that audioadvisor.com?

On that 2nd cable above , that has the MG6 pro ends and the mini , is it dead easy to lob off the end i dont need (R.S.A. SR71B end) and neatly fit it with a hi-end mini myself ?  

Im guessing ill need a sharp razor and one hi-end mini , and something to close/seal where i re-terminated to mini ?

Could i somehow seal it all up proefessional looking and not some hack job ?

I want them to look as good as they sound , and they do travel with me , so as sealed as possible would be best , nothing loose or bare .

Cheers mate

On 2017-5-23 at 2:34 PM, wwaldmanfan said:

What is all this talk about adapters? Just cut off the banana plug and attach a new one. Or spade lugs. You don't need to mess with solder. Most use set screws to capture the wire.

13336333834301822613675.jpg

1333729749815107838503.jpg

Those are nice looking spades/bananas 

With 1K plus cables im now very disappointed in what gutwire put on mine 

Whats that brand and where can i get those ?

Is that top set , banana ends a universal size ? Would they fit my dynaudio focus 340s?

To summarize your advice 1.i would just use a sharp tool/razor to lob off the plastic ends (or could i somehow otherwise take that piece off to preserve as much wire as possible?) .

2.Now i wont have bare wire yet ? Ill need something to strip back that rather thick/rough insulation material ? Then ill have bare wire ? Which i then simply inset into either the banana or spade and turn screws down ? And Bobs my uncle ?

In that banana  picture , is all that i dont see under/inside the banana just bare wire /

Thanks mate 

I ask so many questions as im concerned about mucking about with 1k plus cables (That should never have had such cheap ends) .

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Heat shrink tubing.

13336333834301822613675.jpg

1333633382820748926412.jpg

Nice , thank you 

that looks pro :) Is that unique to audio/cabling Heat shrink tubing ?

If so wheres the best place to get that ?

If you did that yourself mate , NICELY NICELY 

Am i correct on the rest of my post on how to go about it ? Ill need to strip away all the insulation to bare wire and all bare wire goes inside the banana/spade , then screw it down , then shrink tubing , and its all nicely nicely after that 

Cheers

20 minutes ago, RoseKloud666 said:

Those are nice looking spades/bananas 

With 1K plus cables im now very disappointed in what gutwire put on mine 

Is that top set , banana ends a universal size ? Would they fit my dynaudio focus 340s?

To summarize your advice 1.i would just use a sharp tool/razor to lob off the plastic ends (or could i somehow otherwise take that piece off to preserve as much wire as possible?) .

2.Now i wont have bare wire yet ? Ill need something to strip back that rather thick/rough insulation material ? Then ill have bare wire ? Which i then simply inset into either the banana or spade and turn screws down ? And Bobs my uncle ?

In that banana  picture , is all that i dont see under/inside the banana just bare wire /

Thanks mate 

I ask so many questions as im concerned about mucking about with 1k plus cables (That should never have had such cheap ends) .

Cheers 

You can get those here:

https://www.avoutlet.com/cables-connectors/av-connectors/speaker/banana/furez-tst-sb40-50-60np/

You Probably need the 5 mm or 6 mm size.  The spec on your wire says the conductor is just under 5 mm (.192). 

Terminating cables like this isn't usually too bad a job.  I understand if you haven't done it before and maybe aren't great or have little experience with handy work.  Are there any audio dealers or electronics places where perhaps you could pay someone a few bucks to do the termination for you?  Just had another thought.  There is a greater likelihood there is a car stereo shop in your general area.  They do this sort of thing all the time with many different wire sizes.  Probably even have some nice spades or bananas on hand to get one that fits your wire, and will finish it with heatshrink.   That might be your best bet. 

Oh, and if I were you, wouldn't buy from Gutwire anymore.  Actually, I would write them an email linking to this thread.  CA is one of the larger audio websites around.  Let them know the kind of publicity they are earning for themselves.   There have already been nearly 600 people view this.  None have come away from reading this thread thinking, "damn, that Gutwire is some good stuff, and they really care for their customer.  I'd like to buy from them next time I buy wire.  If I should have problems, I'll only have to handle it myself."

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

6 minutes ago, RoseKloud666 said:

I buy my stuff from Douglas Connection. The pics I posted are their Furez copper connectors. The solid copper or silver-plated copper spades are good.

For bananas, I prefer the locking type. They are more durable than the plain copper ones.

http://www.douglasconnection.com/Speaker-Cable-Connectors_c10.htm

6 minutes ago, esldude said:

You can get those here:

https://www.avoutlet.com/cables-connectors/av-connectors/speaker/banana/furez-tst-sb40-50-60np/

You Probably need the 5 mm or 6 mm size.  The spec on your wire says the conductor is just under 5 mm (.192). 

Terminating cables like this isn't usually too bad a job.  I understand if you haven't done it before and maybe aren't great or have little experience with handy work.  Are there any audio dealers or electronics places where perhaps you could pay someone a few bucks to do the termination for you?  Just had another thought.  There is a greater likelihood there is a car stereo shop in your general area.  They do this sort of thing all the time with many different wire sizes.  Probably even have some nice spades or bananas on hand to get one that fits your wire.   That might be your best bet. 

Oh, and if I were you, wouldn't buy from Gutwire anymore.  Actually, I would write them an email linking to this thread.  CA is one of the larger audio websites around.  Let them know the kind of publicity they are earning for themselves.   There have already been nearly 600 people view this.  None have come away from reading this thread thinking, "damn, that Gutwire is some good stuff, and they really care for their customer.  I'd like to buy from them next time I buy wire." 

Thanks mate

Not likely anything here . Im in small amish town Ontario . We have groceries and one computer store and lotsa horses LOL .i dont drive and everything is hours away . Internet or do it myself are my options .

Maybe the computer store dude ? hes a nice chap is all in know of him .

Thanks for all the advice 

Now im seriously questioning gutwire . Its only 40.00 CND to fix one banana , but ill assume thet put the same cheap end back on , and with shipping 2 ways and insurance , that adds up 

Cheers

11 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

I buy my stuff from Douglas Connection. The pics I posted are their Furez copper connectors. The solid copper or silver-plated copper spades are good.

For bananas, I prefer the locking type. They are more durable than the plain copper ones.

http://www.douglasconnection.com/Speaker-Cable-Connectors_c10.htm

thank you

"For bananas, I prefer the locking type."

So the bananas that lock are silver ?

PS are all bananas universal sized ? My speakers are dynaudio focus 340s

Cheers

15 minutes ago, RoseKloud666 said:

thank you

"For bananas, I prefer the locking type."

So the bananas that lock are silver ?

PS are all bananas universal sized ? My speakers are dynaudio focus 340s

Cheers

The tubular bananas should fit. But, if you can afford to spend a bit more, these Furutech locking bananas are the best.

http://www.douglasconnection.com/Furutech-FP-202-G-Banana-connectors-FUFP202G.htm

FP-202(G) 3B.jpg

Now im sitting here thinking and stewing , this does not appear a good thing from gutwire 

1st off why such cheapo ends on such expensive cable 

The ends are so cheap and soft i can bend them with my weak and sensitive teeth (Yes i tried , after the end did just finally completely fall off )

the cable cost a lot of money but that does not mean it provides high sound quality

at least now you know

and next time, you can spend $50 on cables then add $950 to your speaker budget or for room treatments -- things that matter a lot