IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Actually, for "energizing"/charging the LPS-1 (from the JS-2) in your case, a 12V setting will have the LPS-1 drawing the least amount of current from your JS-2 (about 1.5A peak).  While this will make ZERO difference to the output of the LPS-1 or to SQ, it will allow your JS-2 to both run cooler and will leave more of its 7-amp total current capability available for whatever you are primarily using it for (a Mac mini in your case if I recall).

So for using the JS-2 for both macmini & LPS-1, set both to 12V.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...

Is the Uptone tri-star quad available on their website somewhere? - couldn't see it ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 2 weeks later...

/& this is markedly superior to the supplied dc cable?

• 1 month later...

What did you power the LPS-1 with?

18 hours ago, lmitche said:

Green and Amber REGENs make great 7 to 5 volt DC to DC power supplies. They will regulate power without any signal.

Give us some 'for instance's ... I got one of each needing useage somewheres.

• 4 weeks later...

This above reminds me that Alex is the master of plug sizes & procurement locales!

By chance, Alex, you wouldn't have noted the required size for WD hard drive power plugs? - seem to be all the same going back years ... 5.5x2.1 doesn't go, so adaptor of some kind coming up.

/& then I need to check my router plug ...

On 09/10/2017 at 5:28 PM, jamesg11 said:

This above reminds me that Alex is the master of plug sizes & procurement locales!

By chance, Alex, you wouldn't have noted the required size for WD hard drive power plugs? - seem to be all the same going back years ... 5.5x2.1 doesn't go, so adaptor of some kind coming up.

/& then I need to check my router plug ...

Follow up - both my hard drives & router smps must require a 2.1x5.1mm plug? ie my 2.1x5.5 plug (standard for Uptone etc) from the lpsu won’t fit their sockets, but the reverse is fine.

Locally can’t find an adaptor - hints online?

Yep, done that & hence the post ... does 2.1x5.1 exist as a plug size?

Thanks John & Alex, so I ‘worked out’ from this above that I most likely need a 2.1x5.0mm plug (how do you measure such!), which Alex’s link doesn’t have & John’s link does - but they don’t deliver to Aust ... grrr ...

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Thanks for the info John and Alex, but rather than wait weeks with ebay, I will see if I can buy over the counter, suitable sockets of the same dimensions that you use in the Regen which are a perfect fit with the Li Ion batteries etc.

If you find one of mine, let me know - as you say searching isn’t much help really!

Think I’ll start a new thread - where in the accessible world is my 2.1x5.5mm socket to 2.1x5.0 plug adaptor(s)?

• 2 weeks later...

Took the isoregen out when the ultrarendu arrived, a couple of months back now. Started using roon, care of the sonore / roon freeby trial - given I couldn’t get A+ 3.1 working properly in this setup, for still to be determined reasons.

Today I put the isoregen back in, having had some ghent cables waiting here for a few weeks. The first setup was non-functional cos I tried to run both the rendu & regen from a single lps-1, forgetting that the idsd micro dac needed power, not using the battery ... doh.

(ie macmini (with usb hd) bridged ethernet to rendu, regen downstream, uspbc from rendu & curious cable to idsd micro.)

Next, I ran just the iso regen from the lps-1, also thus powering the idsd dac, & ran the ultrarendu from the second power output of the js-2, which powers the macmini.

Thus far, very pleased with this, sonics-wise. Will leave it in as is for a few days & consider the difference, though the top end has a sparkling definition contrasting with the easy smoothness of just the roon-ultrarendu. No idea what’s in-play here, reclockings, etc.

Yeh, well, ... just read thru JS’s epic tome in the smps grounding thread ... how many leakages have I just let loose (& already had) within my system - at least the elgar iso tran confines things.

• 4 months later...

Been meaning to do this ‘leakage loop’ graphic of my setup for a while - it would be very useful for a template sample to be posted ...

/& I nominate Em!!

I had a listening session today at a fellow audio enthusiast, along with several others - eyes instantly glazed on mention of smps running a dsp & leakage current ...

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to Alex for his support for a suddenly non-functioning system - a surprise! phone call across the Pacific ... now all good!!

• 10 months later...

What might be the reason for such an improvement, with the 2x usb?

• 7 months later...

IFi power reputedly with issues ...

• 8 months later...

I’m pretty sure there numerous experiments with series regen + iso regen when the latter was first made available.

• 7 months later...