IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

I got notice today my ISO Regen will be delivered tomorrow (London address). Are you using those new rocket fuelled drones for delivery Alex @Superdad

??

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

• 1 month later...
On 25 May 2017 at 1:38 PM, tapatrick said:
Last night I sat down to listen to music after my new ISO Regen had been playing/warming up for about 3 hours. I know the potential benefits of isolation and reclocking from my Luckit Wavio USB to Spdif board powered by LPS-1 but this was an 'oh my god' moment nonetheless.......

I gave a review on receiving my IR back in May. This is a little update:

Today I received my Luckit Wavio USB to I2S board back from Lucian Romega in Romania where it was being repaired, so I haven't been able to try the IR & Wavio together until now. I added it after my IR with the USPCB into the board. I use the Isolated SPDIF output of the Wavio (not the I2S) into the isolated BNC spdif input of my Aqua La Voce 2 Dac. Simply put I was completely floored by the combination, which is really astounding now. My wife immediately said WOW as we had one of her favourite classical tracks on. 

The Iso Regen with LPS-1 is a new benchmark on its own, but combined with the Wavio there is (even) more detail without any unpleasant side-effects or artefacts, a cavernous and wide, full soundstage, long shimmering decays and an incredible clean precise sound with a velvet quality. Voices are sweet and pleasant. Highly recommend this combo and had to communicate this discovery right away as I am so pleased with the sound :).

Alex @superdad, did you try your wavio with the IR?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/12/2017 at 2:12 AM, audiojerry said:

I'd like to comment on my  impressions of my recently purchased PS Audio DirectStream Junior dac with ISO Regen and LPS-1 followed by some questions for others who are currently using the DirectStream Junior (DSJ).

First off, I cannot believe how amazingly good this combination of devices sounds. I thought my system was already sounding great with my existing dac with the IR and LPS-1, but the transformation was...transformational. While my OPPO Sonica dac represented a significant step up in sound quality for me, I was still aware of a slightly digital signature on my music, which for me was manifested in a kind of low grade aural irritation resulting in listener fatigue over time.  This irritation has always overlaid and degraded my enjoyment of music for as long as I've been listening to cd's and now, streaming digital files, In recent years i've discovered new equipment that brought about wonderful improvements to my digital playback.  The DSJ seems to have finally rid my music of any digital signature, and I am now able to completely relax and enjoy my music.

I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to computer audio, but this website has been a tremendous aid in helping me learn and discover how great computer audio can sound. So now I have some questions for anyone familiar with the DirectSound Network Bridge II.

The advisors on PS Audio suggest that the Network Bridge is the best way to source music from an NAS to the DSJ  Bridge because the Bridge employs i2s, whcih separates  the clock from the signal path.  This method seems to obviate the need for the IR and LPS-1 because a usb cable isn't involved.  Am I off the mark here? 

I find it hard to believe that I'm losing anything in sound quality by running my usb cable into my IR/LPS-1/USPCB.  Does anyone have experience using both types of input with the DSJ?  

Hi Audiojerry

I also have the PS Junior DAC and agree it is an exceptional product with amazing quality of sound and variety of inputs. I also use an ISO Regen fed by an LPS1 but mine also feeds into a Bluewave USB to Spdif converter. So I use the Spdif input on my Junior.

I’ve tried the USB and Bridge (both sound very good and a year ago I would have been satisfied with either). The USB input sounds amazing with the ISO R and LPS1 in spite of claims that downstream components do not have any effect on the DAC performance. 

However I haven’t bothered to compare each input because after 2 seconds with my current USB to Spdif chain I haven’t used the other inputs since. 

I have added a lot of mods to this chain which I won’t go into but the SQ keeps me happy very day :)

PS audio just released a new software upgrade for theie DACs including the Junior and if you haven’t loaded this I highly recommend as it is another significant uptick. 

To answer your question, there is no way you are losing any Sound quality in my opinion by using USB input. 

22 hours ago, audiojerry said:

...I've only had the DSJ for 2 weeks, and it seems to still be breaking in and getting better, and it does have the latest firmware, which is another reason I am very pleased to own the DSJ with upgradeable FPGA vs pre-programmed DAC chips - good as they may be.  ...

Yes we have an amazing free upgrade path. Just check on your menu panel that you have ‘Redcloud’ version of software loaded as it just came out on Friday last, and your model may have been sitting for some time on a shelf. It’s a significant improvement. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, ciccio1112 said:

Hello everyone, hi Superdad, I have a problem with L'iso regen and audiolinux. In practice, my dac is not detected with jlsound v3 con xmos . Sometimes randomly switching the dac off and on again and detaching the cable detects the dac. Everything works perfectly with win 10 and windows server 2016, tested both with a PC optimized with xeon that also with a nuc. What could it be? I've always known that the so regen is a transparent device to the operating system, but here it seems to be a problem with linux. Thanks. 

Thats interesting @ciccio1112, I have a similar problem (Iso Regen and NUCs/AL), but it only started recently where my ISO regen will not allow connection to my DAC, (after running perfectly for a month or 2). Now, often when I switch on I have to mess with the IR until it shows up or just take it out of the chain.... anyone have any clues to what it might be - apart from the obvious :), cables etc..

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 7:48 PM, tapatrick said:

Thanks Alex, yes I have been know to make the odd tweak 😎 however recently I have pretty much stopped messing around due to the excellent results pouring from the dual NUC/AL set up. Don’t know what to do with myself these days except listen to music ! 😂

The IR has been a trusted workhorse for a long time so I agree it’s probably  something to do with cables and connectors. One of  the connections into the IR is a bit loose due to all of the connecting/disconnecting. It’s not the first time I’ve broken a USB input ... I’ll let you know after further testing. 

Cheers Patrick. 

Hi Alex @Superdad

Turns out my intermittent problem with my Iso Regen was because the traces under the USB B input over time had become loosened from the pcb. I have been using it between 2 NUCs with a USPCB in and out and due to the hard connections, and reconnections, the pressure was a bit much and damaged the board.

However, I managed to repair it miraculously with tiny silver wires soldered to the traces under the USB connector.

All good now and been working well for a few weeks (minus the USPCBs)