IGNORED

Proper Grounding a system

I've been a big fan of proper grounding of a system since actually doing it a few years ago.  My main power strip is a Nordost QB8 which has a very convenient ground lug.  I have attached to it a separate earth ground (different from my electrical box house ground) and to a Entreq Sliver Tellus using their Apollo wire.  This has been my setup for about 3 years now.  I was very please with the darkness of my background not only with nothing playing but within tracks/notes the silence where it was supposed to be was great. There are also improvements in the bass as well.   I never went the whole way with the Entreq box to ground other components of my system not sure why just never did.  Fast forward today I now have two demo Silver Tellus minimus each connected to my Bricasti M28 amps using Silver Eartha cables (connected is to the negative speaker terminal).  In-addition to my Silver Tellus I connected to a RCA input to both my Bricasti M1 DAC and Aurender N10 Atlantis using Apollo Eartha cables.   I just got it hooked up last night and for those that don't know it takes the Entreq products about a day to reach full potential.  So Tonight I plan on doing some listening to see if there are even greater improvements.

Also Nordost is coming out with a grounding box called QKore.  I should have a demo box here later next week as I want to compare.  They have some write up on how its constructed on their web site but its considerably smaller and lighter then the Entreq solution.  However I think the $$'s to spend may be similar.  From what I've read the Nordost solution is active right away so that will be helpful doing a compare. Both the Entreq and Nordost solutions are passive solutions.

I'm sure the cable crowd that thinks cables don't make a difference will jump all over this but infact proper grounding does indeed improve the listening experience. More on this later.

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

Yes I will post info as I have time and I'm particularly interested in the compare.  As I want to do something but don't know which is the best at least for my system and situation.  

I do have a metal network switch I'm curious how you grounded it and why?  What effect did that have?

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

42 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I am also a big fan of external grounding and will surely follow your impressions with great interest! ?

If you have a metal case network switch in your audio chain I would recommend you to try grounding it...if you have'nt done it already.

Yes would be interested in why you did this and what effect it has

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Here is a review with some good info for those who want to learn! ?

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/entreq.htm

Here is some info about ground reference

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/104222/where-is-the-ground-in-a-simple-electronic-circuit

Yes I have actually read the Audio Beat one several times there is a lot of info in it.  I was particularly interested in the comments about the Nordost QB8 ground lug, earth ground and how that figured into the setup.  Since I have that particular device and earth ground it was most helpful.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:33 AM, Cornan said:

I beleive it means the QB8 is connected to a dedicated circuit and the grounding box is connected to the GND screw on the QB8. 

With that said I will leave you guys alone and come back when something interesting regarding grounding boxes or anything thread related turns up! ?

On 5/17/2017 at 0:33 AM, Cornan said:

I beleive it means the QB8 is connected to a dedicated circuit and the grounding box is connected to the GND screw on the QB8. 

With that said I will leave you guys alone and come back when something interesting regarding grounding boxes or anything thread related turns up! ?

Yes you are exactly right!

WOW - we have gone off course big time here.  My original post did not ask about theory of operation it was just  a way for others to express their results with grounding boxes.  In particular Entreq boxes and soon the new Nordost QKore that was just introduced at the Munich show.  Some may even have the Telos boxes that would be interesting also.  Somehow we got way off tangent with this subject.  I you have no experience with these or other grounding boxes please save your comments as they are not being helpful.  If you do by all means lets hear how you got started and why you continue to use them.  

Personally I've been listening to my demo more enhanced Entreq setup and I really like what it does.  The note attacks are much crisper, particularity noticeable in the bass and the overall the music is more engaging and real. The other aspect is the darkness of the background.  I already had that with my initial setup with the Silver Tellus connected to the QB8 ground lug and at least for me adding the demo boxes did not enhance that but it really wasy excellant already.

Admittedly there is time needed about a day needed initially and once you disconnect it takes some time for the effect to diminish.  So a good AB is not all that possible and my memory is not as good as it used to be.  However what I'm told about the QKore is that it is immediate on and off so a much better idea of how it effects the overall sound will be much more noticeable.  I have all the models coming so hopefully late next week or over Memorial day weekend I will be having some fun testing.     

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I will keep on subject.  I have QKore 1,3and 6 coming by this weekend and should have the mighty Olympus next week.   It should be interesting 

27 minutes ago, YashN said:

I have certainly read more than one reports from people using the Entreq 'signal grounding' boxes about the delayed effect. This is one of the intriguing things about it. Not sure what causes this. I haven't seen anyone (even the textbook know-it-alls) give an explanation for that.

Hadn't heard of the Nordost box until now. Will check it out. In the meantime I am building a lot of synthesizer gear, and of course, we get similar issues with grounding between different modules and the prevailing use of unbalanced interconnect cables...

Not sure either what the technical reasons for the delay but I can tell you there is one.  

Just as  side note I took my Entreq Silver Tellus with Everest over to my son's setup.  He has a all in one (stereo and home theater) consisting of Parasound Integrated, Aurender N100H, Pioneer Elite receiver and Martin Logan 13a's, Stage X  and a single 210 sub.  He has my old QB8 also connected to a earth ground wire.  We proceeded to swap the main power cable to the QB8 from a Nordost Red Dawn to a Frey 2 and then moved the Red Dawn to replace the stock power on the 210.  In addition we connected the Silver Tellus to the QB8, Parasound and Pioneer.  Boy did that make a huge change!  In addition there was a small hum coming from his system that was driving both of us nuts for weeks that is now almost gone.   I had a similar issue with a hum in my media room and since I did not have much space and it was pre-Qkore I got a silver minimus and connected it to the ground lug on the Anthem AVM60 and the hum is completely gone!!

So at this point I'm kind of done and waiting for others to try either solution and hear their comments.  Suggestions I would have is the following:

1.  The QB8 has a nice ground lug to attach too.  Not sure what other distribution type power strips have.  I have seem many that look similar but not certain if they have a ground lug.  To me I think this is important as all my components are plugged into this one connection point so it makes sense to me to have a common lug for grounding.  I'm not saying that Nordost QB8 is the only one to consider but if it was me I would be looking for that feature.  According to Nordost their system is effective if just connected to various components.  I did not try that but the manufacturer claims it will work so then no matter what setup you have it will work.  Also for that matter the Entreq solution can be similarly just connected to components.  Just a warning with the Entreq box setup as they recommend to connect to the negative terminal of your stereo amp or mono for best results.  You must not connect them to the same box if not I think there is a safety concern.  So like the Silver Tellus that I had you must not connect them to the same box.  An Olympus yes as it's essentially three separate boxes or for Stereo to a single Silver minimus.  They also recommend not connecting digital and analog for best results.  Nordost from what I know has no such issues that I'm aware of but I did not try either.  They also do not recommend to connect to the negative terminal of a amp only a spare connection which in my case was a RCA.  My original setup was with a Q1 for just the ground to the QB8 and the the Q3 I just hooked up the two mono amps.  I did not have a spare cable to connect either of my digital inputs but I think I could of.  Of course with the Q6 I could connect all components to the same box.

2.  For those that can I would recommend a earth ground in addition to whatever grounding box you decide on.  Like I have said previously with both the Entreq box and Nordost box adding the earth ground did help and it was noticeable.  If you are on a 2nd story etc. and can't don't sweat it as the box is way more effective then the earth ground by itself its just if you can it does a the bit more.

3. I have worked with Entreq and Nordost and both of the dealers I have worked with let me try first.  I would certainly encourage to demo on your own system.  I believe the Nordost one will be much easier spacewise and being instant on once connected to demo however.

I'm very interested in any that actually do try and to hear your results.

19 hours ago, Trainleader said:

Michael you say nr5.. adding a earth ground improves the effect. How do you add earth ground? I live on 6th floor in an apartment so I cant hammer a pole to the ground in my garden. Do you go from ground in wall outlet to QB8 ground pin or do you go from the radiator to QB8? Sorry if my questions are stupid.. I dont know much about this.. but it seems to have a very good effect with good grounding conditions for my system.

Yes I did say that adding an additional ground if you can does help.  In your case the nice thing about either the Nordost or Entreq solution is that someone in an apartment can enjoy the benefits of grounding without an earth ground.  Either solution works well. 

Which Entreq box and why?  Also are you going to try the QKore box?

May be prices in Sweden but a Silver Tellus and Q1 are about $2500 here in the states.  Are you talking a Silver Tellus minimus?   If the Silver Tellus is that much less in Sweden then yes go for if.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have been away for awhile so just catching up.  I read a lot of questioning how they work mostly from those that have done nothing but question how they work yet have put no effort in trying one or all of them out.  That's all great but the subject of the thread was to get comments from people who have actually tried and compared the various products be it Nordost Qkore, Entreq or SR etc.  I believe a couple of you were going to give it a try any comments from actual users not virtual ones?  Don't get me wrong it would be nice to know more how they work but in everyday life there are many things we use that we have really no idea yet we do -  is this any different if it sounds better do we really need to know more?

35 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

I'm not the one making extraordinary claims.

And if I did some blind tests and found no differences, would you accept the tests as evidence that the grounding boxes don't work?

Here we go again!  Someone trying to dismiss grounding boxes yet has not tried one.  If indeed you did the work and actually tried some and then determined that they really do not make a sound difference that is positive absolutely that would add to the discussion.  But to run on and on with how this or that can't be measured yet you have heard or measured nothing does not make any sense.  Why don't you move on to another thread or better yet test some of the boxes and have some real input.