IGNORED

Anyone have any info on The Bricasti Design Model 5 Network Player

52 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Ethernet is noiseless? Why are there pages devoted to cleaning up the signal, including special noise free switches/routers/nics/clocks?

If I would be nasty, to most extent I would say lot of that is snake-oil.

Why do Ham radio operators go to extraordinary lengths to reduce the crud from IT/Ethernet.

Probably that is not something that is conducted by ethernet wire to their system, especially optical one?

And if you look at pro-audio networked interfaces (Dante/RAVENNA) now commonly used to record the music you listen, I'm not hearing too much complaints. Even using plain old copper ethernet which is transformer isolated by the spec, unlike USB.

Optical fibre requires a media conversion from optical to copper to the likes of the M5, and media converters are powered, wait for it, a noisy SMPS.

Well, that's a design problem of M5 that it doesn't have optical ethernet connections. If fact I think manufacturers should just equip devices with SFP slots, then you can choose between copper ethernet and various different optical links. This is what is the common practice in normal IT world.

Sure, audiophile device sector has lot to catch up and learn on networking side, even more so than they've had on USB.

33 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

A gigabit network switch that optically isolates internally, inside one metal box powered by one single PSU, with just ethernet input and ethernet output, one day would be really nice.

Just use a switch with optical connections and have network card with optical interfaces in your computer. No converter boxes needed.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Macbook user here :-) And Roon Core (ROCK) and Roon endpoints are all ethernet based.

You can certainly build Roon Server and Roon Bridge with optical connections. No problems on that front, no need for FMC.

Btw, "ethernet" also includes optical media links as well as copper.

10 hours ago, Em2016 said:

But yes, that's a solution if you just have one computer as both your 'core' or server, and 'endpoint'.

Nope, works for both Roon and HQPlayer separate server + endpoint. And of course also for Roon <-> HQPlayer comms. So you have options such as copper or optical ethernet, and WiFi.

If you want point-to-point connections. Certainly networking gear is not for you. Probably you don't want to connect to internet either. It is not point-to-point either, it is a network. You don't run USB from home to your ISP's backbone either.

What comes to "audiophile switches" and the like, try to convince Tidal and your ISP to have such in their network. If you don't like optical, try to get ISPs adopt copper again, good luck with that.

Having ordinary network gear and connections in your home is much simpler and less noisy than anything out there in big world. Including your mobile phone's cellular connection. If streaming from Tidal servers to your stereos work without audiophile switches at the ISP side, it'll work just fine the last few meters in your home too.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

Source to target like turntable-amp, tuner-amp

That creates potential ground current setup. This can easily create noise problems.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

not router-switch-switch-computer-renderer

While this doesn't as long as you don't purposefully screw it up. This is unlikely to create noise problems.

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

No wonder @Miska advises against STP, since the chassis of the different parts of the network are at differences of voltages and significant ones at that, enough to create the worst ground loop for low and high impedance leakage currents to travel wherever they like.

Similar behavior can be observed with traditional audio gear when their grounds are not connected. And one reason why ethernet has isolation between devices. Longer the distances get, more problem it becomes, think about wiring of entire office building with completely separate power feeds.

A standard filter won't work, because the power supply needs to be isolated as well.

I'm not following on this one...

Apart from a few diversions here and there, 'network noise' needs taming as much as USB otherwise threads like this wouldn't exist... would they?

There's no "network noise" as long as things are new screwed up. But I'm happy to see the network noise things demonstrated in DAC output measurements. So far, I've successfully measured DAC analog output noise reduction by using NAA-type devices instead of direct USB connection from computer.

I grabbed a GS108 (S2)

This is one device that works OK, but not something I'd recommend. By default it has a floating wall-wart PSU, although I have such (GS108Tv2) in one place in the house, but it is powered using PoE (the reason I have the switch is because it supports running from PoE). Generally I recommend switches that have proper metal chassis with built-in PSU, and high quality gear like stuff from Hewlett-Packard Enterprise or Cisco. And I have 802.3az aka Energy Efficient Ethernet aka Green Ethernet support as requirement, this allows to use lower transmit power for shorter cables. At the moment my listening room's local distribution switch is Zyxel GS1100-series 16-port model GS1100-16 (good MTBF and low heat production too). 24-port model gives you in addition two SFP slots for optical connections.

Other than that, my recommended switch for home audio use is HPE 1820-series. But I think I will soon upgrade mine to 1850-series which can do 10 Gbps switch-to-switch links.

12 minutes ago, plissken said:

Wifi works really well now days. 

All networking works generally very well, like copper/optical ethernet which has been around for ages and even in very large installations much more challenging than home. Even in very challenging environments like industrial.

Recent WiFi standards have so much bandwidth and with addition of MIMO it usually works well for audio. Only in very congested city areas with lot of apartments and such, it can become challenging. But usually even in those environments 5 GHz band works well because it doesn't go so much through concrete walls and thus it is much more "local".