• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, PAP said:

I just downloaded the new Witmer Trio album. It is not a one mic but none the less it sounds fantastic. Check that drum sound...whew...

[video]

[/video]

On 3/5/2019 at 12:43 AM, danadam said:

I'd suggest listening to the preview on their page. This youtube upload sounds to be corrupted (e.g. the 5 kHz tone every 15 sec).

Funny I don't hear that.

But anyway get the download. It's a spectacular recording.

7 hours ago, HIFI said:

I contacted sound liaison and gave them my comments.  They asked for feedback. 

I suggestet more “One Mic” recordings as I found it incredible.

Your feedback counts so .... Please recommend they expand in “One Mic” disciplines. 

I must say that I expected more definition on recording room details and ....yes...met my expectations.  What I wasn’t prepared for was the separation and space around musicians.  I think they are onto something very special. 

Happy listening !!!

I agree. It's very special. It's like the band is in the room with you. And I adore Carmen's voice, such an elegant horn like phrasing and none of those mannerisms that plagues so many of her colleagues. She is completely believable.

But I also understand why Joe likes the Witmer Trio so much. I am going to advise them to keep doing both. One mic as well as their more traditional approach.

BTW. there is only 24 hours left of the introduction offer for the one mic recording. I just received a notification.

link; one Mic special offer.

spacer.png

On 3/11/2019 at 10:40 PM, danadam said:

I did, the same day (though certainly not the DXD but 24/96, and I'd likely pick 16/44 if they offered).

1min.flac 4.48 MB · 0 downloads

Carmen sells the 16/44 download as well as the redbook CD on https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/.

It's almost half the price of the 24/96 and almost 3x times cheaper than the DXD than on the https://www.soundliaison.com/  site.

I personally do like the sound of the 24bit and I like to have the original master format, DXD in this case, when possible.

Do you convert you 24/96 back to 16/44 before you listen? Do you like that sound better?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 3:25 PM, JoeWhip said:

Sound Liason released another one mic recording last night, Feenbrothers Play Brubeck. Since my Yggy does not take DXD recordings natively, at least not yet, I downloaded the 24/192 WAV file. I like this one way better than the Carmen Gomes recording as it has a fuller and more impactful low end. The tone on this release is excellent. Great piano reproduction, tight detailed bass and drums that sound like drums. Same with the sax, The instrument placement perfectly matches the pictures of the recording session before a live audience. Oh and the music is great. Well done Frans.

It's a fabulous recording, no doubt.

The one mic method is ideally suited for a saxophone quartet .

Great liner notes too; https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/453-new-the-feen-brothers-one-mic-recording

On 3/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, christian u said:

The Feenbrothers and the Witmer Trio, two completely different albums both in repertoire, playing style and sound and yet there's something that unifies them, the sound of the studio I guess.

@JoeWhip, you being our jazz piano expert,( I've read you excellent Bennie Green review) which piano sound do you prefer the old fashioned Feenbrothers or the more ''modern" Witmer trio?

On 3/27/2019 at 12:16 AM, blue2 said:

That will be interesting to read. I think I prefer the Witmer Trio "Free" versus Carmen Gomes "Don't You Cry" and Feen Brothers "Play Brubeck" musically, but the OneMic recordings have the best SQ. It seems to me these 3 are the new ultimate reference standard recordings. Despite Witmer Trio "Free" not being recorded 'live' in a OneMic session, each instrument sounds 'live'. Well done Sound Liaison you've raised the bar!

It's a different SQ, in my opinion, I don't know if it's better, but indeed a most welcome addition.

And it is "laidback" back music to a certain degree....but  l like laidback and the SQ benefits.

How is this slow music? And it sounds incredible.

Feenbrothers one mic;

The Witmer Trio is recorded with more mic's and is more laid back than the Feenbrothers. But OK it is a different type of music.

and btw this is the last days of the Witmer trio $10 offer a superior sounding and played laidback😁 album.; 

spacer.pngWitmer Trio

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/30/2020 at 2:10 AM, MetalNuts said:

SoundLiaison has become a label of good recordings. 

On 1/29/2020 at 5:11 PM, kumakuma said:

Wonderful recording.

I buy every new release from Sound Liaison as soon as the email announcement arrives in my inbox. Don't even listen to the previews any more. 

For any newcomers here I'd recommend the  sampler " the Visual Sound".

It is a brilliant show case of what the label has to offer.

spacer.pngSound-Liaison--music-sampler

recording engineer Frans de Rond is proving once again that his knowledge of mic placement and use of equipment is in a class of his own. 
He is able to create a sound stage, that projects an almost visual image of the musicians.
A sound stage which is intimate but also has depth and space.

The sound on the recordings presented here are like a three dimensional Van Gogh painting, where you can step in and take a look around.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, Milan said:

Got the CD it last night.

We listened to it from start to finish only getting up to get a refill.

Fantastic way to spend the evening. I advise new listeners to dim the lights and if possible listen to the whole album as if it was one long song or as if watching a movie with your ears as she suggest on her BandCamp Site  .

The small instrumentals combining the songs works like magic or is it voodoo?  That low bowed bass is almost scary!

Personally I love her way of singing and how she gives meaning to the lyrics and she and her band has given new life to these timeless Robert Johnson songs.

Best album of the year for me so far.

Looking forward to experiencing it again if it will be available from Native DSD or Sound Liaison in DXD.

Carmen calls the album a SOUND LIAISON audiophile recording so I guess it'll be there soon enough.

She is really growing as a musician. Compare Love in Vain and Come on in my kitchen with her earlier versions on the Torn album.

I like the older versions but on this album she is singing with a laid back confidence and a freedom in phrasing reminding me of some of the great horn players from the past. Maybe this way of phrasing is more jazz than blues but come to think of it all of my favorite jazz  has some blues in it and here the songs are all blues. Best of both worlds.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:13 PM, christian u said:

Got the CD this weekend and listened last night. What a trip. Finally a band that dares to make a concept album.

I am big Robert Johnson fan and have all the covers of his songs made from the likes of Elmore James and Eric Clapton to the Rolling Stones and what have you, but Carmen Gomes Inc takes first place in my top 10, why? They have made the songs their own. In no way do they try emulate Robert Johnson, instead they seem to have looked at each song and explored the song it self, so not Robert Johnson the artist but Robert Johnson the composer. So refreshing. 

Joe has published his fine review of the album; Very insightful and well researched;

5 star review of Sound Liaison One Mic + Recording

Joe says it will be released on Friday the 13th!  but it is possible to download it here at introduction price;   https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/677-up-jumped-the-devil-carmen-gomes-inc

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, bmoura said:

The new Monty Alexander is also available at NativeDSD Music in Stereo DSD 512, DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD.

It's an excellent album in DSD 256 and DSD 512.  Highly recommended!  (Native DSD on Facebook says it's in their Top 5).

https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/2xhdre1187-monty-alexander-love-you-madly-live-at-bubbas/

Great album. Thanks. And it's with Paul Berner on bass!