• 3 years later...
32 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Though Honeck/PSO seem to be recording in DSD256 these days, the audio engineer who produces the downloads on NativeDSD always recommended the DXD versions to me, which I've only seen on NativeDSD.

For what is it worth, according to the booklet that RR included with the commercial SACD release:

"This recording was made and post-produced in DSD256 on a Pyramix workstation to give you, the listener, the highest sound quality possible."

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

16 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

And it's Tom Caulfield (seen around these parts before) who does that post-production, and who always recommended the DXD.  At these levels of resolution it may just be a matter of preference, though they seem to up the charge based on the larger file sizes.

Certainly. 

"NativeDSD obtains the .dff DSD Edit Master files directly from the labels, converts them to .dsf (no music data conversion, just added data buckets to contain metadata). These .dsf buckets are then custom metadata-tagged with album data like artist name, composer, etc."

OTOH, Tom and NativeDSD promote their "Higher Rate Program:"

"NativeDSD sells only recordings that were originally recorded in DSD or DXD (352.8KHz PCM). With the exception described below, the overwhelming majority of these recordings were edited and post processed in DXD, then converted (modulated) into one or more DSD deliverable bit rates by the label. NativeDSD acquires the label’s original DXD edited master, and using Merging Technologies Album Publishing, create first generation DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256, as well as a DXD FLAC deliverables. Additionally, on selected recordings, a 32bit PCM WAV file is extracted (the DXD PCM FLAC is 24 bits by format definition), and uses it to modulate a DSD512 using HQPlayer Pro. "

Now, these two statements from their website do seem to be in conflict but the insertion of an DXD intermediary is the issue.  Personally, I have not heard any difference between the ".dff DSD Edit Master" and NativeDSD's .dsf files at the original recording bit/sample rate.

Kal Rubinson

31 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Switching back and forth between recordings has never been my thing.  I have both and both sound marvelous, though the MSB Select 2 DAC favors PCM at lower rates.

Nor is it mine and I do it only when/if there is some particular issue that I am researching.

31 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Have you had the opportunity to compare the retail DSD256 and DXD of any recent RR?

Not lately but I can do it for this particular recording.................................if I must. 🙄

Kal Rubinson

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 8:01 PM, tailspn said:

NativeDSD has decided to also offer the 32 bit BroadcastWAV version of the DXD, which I produced from the Soundmirror supplied 32 bit source, and have uploaded it to native's AWS delivery server. It will take a few days to appear on the site for selection, as the site is not currently programmed to offer multiple DXD deliverables.

Two-channel only, so far.

Kal Rubinson