3 hours ago, christian u said:

And the same kind of high quality sound.

But the same kind of well played, well recorded, and boring results. More ""audiophile" music-that only audiophiles will listen to.

Sorry, my opinion.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 years later...
27 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

It's a winner. Available at Qobuz, also.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

51 minutes ago, tailspn said:

Hi,

Reference Recordings Fresh series are recorded by Soundmirror, and all but a portion of one album are recorded in DSD256. All these recordings are subsequently post processed, including editing, in DXD on a Pyramix DAW. The resulting DXD file is the album's edited master, which is uploaded to NativeDSD's ftp label server. 

The two stereo and surround DXD edited masters are in the form of proprietary continuous 32 bit WAV files known as an MTFF (Merging Technologies File Format), which includes the track timing markers. These 32 bit PCM interstage edited masters are then run through Pyramix Album Publishing, producing the individual separate tracks in PCM 352.8KHz/24 FLAC, DSD256, DSD128, DSD64, plus a PCM 352.8KHz/32 WAV copy. I use that DXD/PCM 352.8KHz/32 WAV to produce the DSD512 in HQPlayer Pro.

SInce the edited master IS the original generation of the assembled/edited takes and post processed sweetened recording, the Pyramix Album Publishing process of producing the deliverables is the most direct and least invasive process available. Whether the DXD FLAC, or the highest bitrate DSD that a customer's DAC can support is chosen, it is IMO, completely dependent on the customer's DAC type and conversion process. For DAC's who directly convert a PCM sample based stream of digital values, like a ladder DAC, then the DXD FLAC is optimal. For DAC's with Sigma-Delta modulator conversion, by and large, the DSD format is optimal.

Regardless of the format chosen, I believe for now, this is the definitive Beethoven 9 reading for both artistic value, and certainly sound quality. I say for now, for while delayed from session recording in November last year, I'm hopeful the Budapest Festival Orchestra recording of this Ninth Symphony will occur yet this year. 

Thanks,

Tom   

Hi Tom -

So excuse my ignorance,but please clear this up for me.

The album booklet for the Pittsburgh/Honeck/Beethoven 9th says:

"This recording was made and post-produced in DSD256 on a Pyramix workstation to give you, the listener, the highest sound quality possible."

And the album page at nativeDSD says: Original Recording Format: DSD 256

I understood this to mean that the DSD files of this recording at nativeDSD have not been converted to PCM (except for edits).

Your explanation above seems to say that these DSD recordings are converted to DXD at nativeDSD and then post processed for sweetening, and then converted back to the various DSD rates for sale.

Is that correct, or am I totally misunderstanding?

1 minute ago, firedog said:

sorry,double post

I just bought this in DXD. Not that I actually think I can hear the difference, but that one seems to be closest to the master, so figured I might as well.

And directly supporting nativeDSD, etc. occasionally is a good thing to do (as opposed to streaming).

It does sound really good. And Honeck/Pittsburg are doing a good job with the Beethoven Symphonies.

• 3 years later...
On 12/27/2023 at 8:42 AM, MetalNuts said:

These 6 volumes of Beethoven Symphonies are outstanding DXD recording and the dynamics is at a different level from those other Beethoven Symphonies recordings I have.

image.thumb.png.4ca339811b50b7bf1ed9a8e34d68e08a.png

If this is the Beethoven series referred to above, it was recorded between 2005-2007. Can it have been recorded in DXD? I don't think there were DXD recordings then.