IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

10 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

I have three questions for a reality check please  

I have a caps pipeline within HD Plex ATX LPS  which means that everything in my computer including the SOTM USB card get clean power.   I have a shunyata USB cable connected to an eastern electric mini max DAC supreme.  All of my components are plugged in to a Shunyata hydra. 

1.  Would the ISO regen help me?

2.  Would it defeat the ground isolation if I powered it with my HD Plex ATX ?

3.  Slightly off-topic,  I am assuming that with my set up a micro Rendu would not be a benefit is this correct?

What do you suggest I do, please. 

Thank you 

Bill

Why don't you buy, take your free trial time and return for refund if IsoRegen doesn't fit?  Hearing is believing and virtually nobody have the production version yet.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Changing the voltage on an LPS-1 requires re-writing the firmware in the FPGA, not a trivial task. I think that would be one of the more ambitious reverse engineering tasks. 

John S.

John,

I'd rather you may produce  an LPS-12V version first, an item that has been anticipating, talked long time ago, and wanted for a long time.

22 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

That is all ready available. You just purchase two LPS-1. What is not available is a plug that does the serial connection. And that is what we should request. 

I suggest Alex should use some of his 1000 Oyaide plugs and offers such a cable. 

You may may even get Jesus new front plate that bundles two items together made withe a new text ?

This has been discussed before.  Two LPS-1 in series means two energiers and will the cabling more clumsy.  Let all alone another cable is needed to contact tnbe 2 LPS-1.

12 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

The 12 V version has also been discussed, and if I remember correctly, John mentioned a 3K price point. So your option is then Vinne Rossi. 

A high price to pay just for some annoying cables ?

The 3k price point was not true.  John mentioned that the price could be similar to that of the current LPS-1 with 12V/1A output.  Probably the discussion was in the Uptone website rather than in here.  I cannot remember the exact content.

However, I can see 12V demands in other applications which is both Video and Audio related and that could bring business to Uptone.

5 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I think the $3k price point was for an Ultracap ATX supply! Going to a 12V 1A version is fairly easy, going to higher current is MUCH harder and costly.

John S.

Thank you John for your chime in.

I do not dream the advent of a 3k PSU, it is too far reaching for me, and probably  for quite a few of the CA members here.  However, I do know that there are devices that needs 12V/1A, say Routers, Switchers, txUSBUltra, some HD decoders, ...With each of these devices powered by 2 LPS-1, it would be both very costly, space consuming and not elegant looking (in my POV).

It is up to Uptone to produce an LPS-1 12V/1A or not, an entirely business decision.  What I see is the comparative advantage of this potential product against your competitors, the advantage that multiple LPS-1 12V/1A may be simultaneously powered by a powerful energier which makes the organization simple.  Also more demand of 12V/1A audio devices are coming.  

As a faithful and long term customer of Uptone, I just point out my observations and rest my case here.

48 minutes ago, Superdad said:

To be more fair, I am sure that all we ever said was that upstream changes will matter less.  EVERY USB device has a PHY processor at its input (even if it is integrated into its hub chip or protocol engine--such as XMOS), and will thus be susceptible to some extent to upstream signal integrity.  So while the ISO REGEN outputs great SI, variations at its input can still have a effect (e.g. you will still hear some differences between USB cables)

The galvanic isolation added by the ISO REGEN takes care of other problems (no time to write about that this morning).

--Alex C.

Does cascading IsoRegen help?

7 hours ago, tboooe said:

My personal findings support this conclusion.  I currently use a cheap $100 low powered PC as an NAA in my system.  The USB out from this PC goes into the IsoRegen.  I was able to try a microrendu in place of my PC (prior to having the IsoRegen) and it did sound better.  That being said, I dont know if I would still hear the improvement now that I have the IsoRegen in the chain.  Unfortunately there is only 1 way to find out!  

Hopefully we will start hearing feedback from people with the microrendu or sms200 in their system as well as the IsoRegen.

I believe mR + IR will improve the sound.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

While John and I would love to publicly share everything--and quite frankly we share WAY more than most manufacturers--you need to understand that we operate in a small and competitive niche, and it would be very poor business judgement for us to reveal all current methods, new ideas, or product plans.  

Manufacturers in high-end audio watch each other, and without naming names I can say that both UpTone and Sonore have had its concepts and designs copied.  My approach is to try to move quickly and innovate, and our future plans and products will contain plenty of truly unique techniques.

Based on our respective desires, mixed in large part with radical brainstorms that John has, both Sonore and UpTone have good things planned.  But we will NOT be talking about them 4-9 months ahead of release!

Andreas, I do not know what information you think you are being denied.  We have been very clear about what the ISO REGEN does and how it does it.  It is all on the web page.   If you want to know how it sounds in comparison or in combination with other products, then you will need to try them--or wait for others to report about it.

Alex,

Surely Andrea is not talking about you.  I think the timing is very bad that UR(ultraRendu) must be delivered in a short time.  As I've stated in another thread, this puts anxieties to the customers as well.  Under such a difficult situation, the styles of handling the customers' enquiries becomes even more important.  Unfortunately not everybody has the skills as you, as pointed out by austinpop already.

@John

I want to check if my understanding of Galvinic Isolation (GI) is correct.

1. Say, for a simple system a DAC + an Amp, both AC powered and chassis earthed, there ground (or ground plates) are basically connected through the signal cable.  Hence noises may flow between them.

2. If, say, the DAC is powered by battery, it will become floating and there will be no common earth between the two devices.  Hence noises between them may not flow to the other party.

3. GI effectively forbids noises flow between interconnecting devices.

4. If a system that flows from A to D (say PC to mR to IR to DAC), if B and C are both battery powered, then the noise from the ground plate of each of the devices will be isolated and cannot pass to other devices.

I understand IR does more for providing high SI.  I also understand that LPS-1 provides effectively clean DC and takes care of the AC leakage current.  What I really want to know is what GI is for and how it helps in SQ.  Recently I come across with the term "ground loops" and cannot figure out a coherent picture even after reading lots of web pages.  Hence my questions.

If John or other members would pm me on these, you're welcome.