IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

9 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Coming late to the thread, so just to be sure, I can use the LPS1 to power both the SU1 and the ISORegen?  Full 7Vs I assume, and a simple Y DC power cable to power both?

And what to use to power the MRendu properly in this whole chain of power supplies?

Power the SU-1 and IsoRegen off 5v from the LPS-1 via a y cable 

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

10 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

If it were me I would get the external power kit from the manufacturer and cut off the internal cable, leaving pigtails on the both connectors. Then use a piece of 4S6 starquad to replace the cable you just cut off.

John S.

This exactly what I am going to do.  Man I need to brush up on my soldering skills.  Maybe I will just use some caps instead.  Much easier though not has pretty looking.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

13 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Such is best practice and part of my business and personal ethic.

And this is precisely why I trust Uptone and am willing to buy their products without any sort of audition.  Business ethics is not an oxymoron.

Other components:

15 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Do I assume you are referring to wire nuts, or something else?

Yes sorry about not being more clear.   I mean wire nuts.  Any draw back to that aside from how lame that looks?

Other components:

58 minutes ago, Superdad said:

What, so nobody's going to guess about the purpose of my "hang-60" dead-REGEN surfboard?

Is it to impress the ladies while you are strolling on the beach rockin your yellow speedo?

Other components:

21 minutes ago, thyname said:

2 - ISO Regen: 6-9 Volts DC

IsoRegen can run off 5V.

But doing so wont allow it to regulate the power for the VBUS downstream.  If you power it off something nice like an LPS-1 then its ok.

Other components:

1 minute ago, thyname said:

I was hoping I could use existing LPS-1 for both SU-1 and uRendu via Y cable, but it looks like this would not work, as I need to set the LPS-1 at 5v, and uRendu needs at least 6 (range is 6-9). Which means that I may need to buy the second LPS-1 now, or just go back to powering uRendu with its iFi iPower. Or maybe I buy a (cheaper) sBooster. Don't know....

You have an option...you could use a quality low noise voltage regulator like this one.  I own this as well.  It has good specs. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-low-Noise-40-V-Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-Module-Based-on-LT1963-/201209828911?hash=item2ed90a562f

Other components:

Alright gang.. theoretically which is the lesser evil:

A.  Powering both my SU-1 and IsoRegen with a single LPS-1

B. Powering my SU-1 with the LPS-1 and IsoRegen with my HDPlex linear power supply?

Once I get my IsoRegen I can test this out myself but until then I am really interested in hearing the theory why one approach could be better than the other.

Other components:

1 hour ago, Middy said:

The Iso is my last treat...

20170514_152907.thumb.jpg.400cf5b00dc0e2c1fc25241a64311d92.jpg

No truer words have ever been spoken!  When I had my 2 girls, my music hobby instantaneously stopped.  I actually ended up selling my entire system and only had a Sonos system for 7 years!  Only in the past 3 years have I been able to find the time, money, and mental capacity to cobble together my current modest system.  However, I wouldn't trade my experiences (good and bad) with my two feral kids for anything!

So congratulations.  Your life will truly never be the same.  I know mine hasnt been especially since boys have now entered the picture.  

Other components:

7 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

It's Big in Japan Hawaii...

IMG_0153.JPG

Dude, I used to love eating spam and the weird jelly that came in the can!    Also, nothing better than fried spam over sunny side up egg and rice!!!!!!!!  I am going to have that for dinner!

Other components:

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Sorry man, you are making my stomach turn! >:(

Alex, give it a try man!  Consider it part of your Hawaiian experience.  

Other components:

33 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

If inserting a REGEN (or other reclocker) in front of a USB DAC yields no SQ improvement, then it suggests the DAC was very well designed and achieves a high degree of USB noise immunity, making the reclocker redundant & unnecessary.  

I am very interested to see if adding the IsoRegen in front of my modded SU-1 DDC powered by an LPS-1 makes any difference.  The SU-1 already uses very good clocks and I recently had the power regulator replaced with a very high quality one.  Definitely looking forward to receiving the IsoRegen to test.

Other components:

8 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

OK, based on this I understand now that actually conclusion earlier today was a  bit wrong misleading by some other true believers ?

So how I now understand this is that avoid using a PC upfront the ISO REGEN, as one have to assume the computer has the worst clock. 

A good endpoint with a propper clock is crusial upfront the ISO REGEN.  So since some of John's creations also contains endpoints of "various quality", I think i may have to purchase something from this paranoid guy that just closed his thread. ?

My personal findings support this conclusion.  I currently use a cheap $100 low powered PC as an NAA in my system.  The USB out from this PC goes into the IsoRegen.  I was able to try a microrendu in place of my PC (prior to having the IsoRegen) and it did sound better.  That being said, I dont know if I would still hear the improvement now that I have the IsoRegen in the chain.  Unfortunately there is only 1 way to find out!  

Hopefully we will start hearing feedback from people with the microrendu or sms200 in their system as well as the IsoRegen.

Other components:

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, ted_b said:

Uh-oh, it's popcorn time again because ted_b is asking the same question he asked last month:

If you are pulling the microRendu then what is replacing it as your source of (fill in blank....DLNA renderer, NAA, Roon endpoint, etc etc).

I am still using a cheap $100 low powered pc running Server R2 acting as an NAA in my system.  Ultimately I would like to use a smaller NAA (ultrarendu, sms200 ultra, pi, clearfog, etc) so I can get rid of my usb cable and use a USBPCB instead.  However, I really cant see myself get the either of the ultra devices because I cant justify the price versus the improvement over my pc (I did audition a microrendu).

Other components:

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Ciukas said:

I plan to use the iFi AUDIO iPower 9V (or 5V, havent bought it yet) to power the IR for my Hugo 2. Since the Chord Hugo 2 will be powered separately with its own PSU (thus not bus powered), will the ISO Regen operate within acceptable temps if powered by the iFi AUDIO iPower 9V?

I used the iPower 9V on my IsoRegen and it worked fine though it did get a bit hot.  I asked Alex the same question and he said its fine.  

Other components:

20 minutes ago, Ciukas said:

Did you do anything to alleviate the heat? Like maybe opening up the case and installing an aluminium heatsink or two? Did you find the heat to affect SQ as Alex warned it might if the the ISO Regen gets too warm?

Yes, I alleviated the heat issue by not using the ipower anymore!  I did not detect a change in sound quality due to the heat however.  I only stopped using the ipower purely out of being paranoid and conservative.  My intention is to purchase an LPS-1 so I can set it at 7vdc which should help with the heat.  Currently, I am powering the IsoRegen at 5vdc with my linear power supply but since my DDC the SU-1 requires VBUS power, I am wondering if I could get an improvement by using the LPS-1 instead.  

Other components:

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, str-1 said:

I pisted this question also on the ‘Impressiins’ thread.  Can I safely run my ISO Regen off 5V?  My Chord DAVE dac only needs the 5V to be able to recognise a usb input.  Someone said the IR sounds better off 5V as that bypasses the internal regulators.  Would that be a good thing?

Ive been running my IR off 5V for quite some time now.

Other components: