IGNORED

Superclocks

On 4/25/2017 at 4:11 PM, Hammer said:

Are these clocks different than a rubidium clock from say Stanford Reseach Systems?  I picked one up on the cheap off eBay and had been meaning to purchase a DAC such as a Mytek which accepts clock input to play around, but have not had the time.  Has anyone tried this with good result?  Thanks, hammer

Rubidium clocks are usually very bad to use for audio. They have very good long term stability, but high phase noise. The long term stability has nothing to do with audio but the close in phase noise is what is important. So a rubidium is exactly the wrong oscillator to use.

Another problem is that the rubidium is probably NOT going to be outputting a frequency that can be used directly by audio circuitry, so some for of frequency synthesizer is going to have to be used, and these ALWAYS increase the phase noise.

A rubidium is great for an actual clock (you can read the time) that you want to be accurate to the microsecond over years of run time, but not so good for audio.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Elberoth said:

Thanks, that was the page I was looking for. The specs for their clock are as follows:

FemtoSecond Galaxy Clock Specifications:

Phase Noise at 0.1 Hz -67 db

Phase Noise at 1 Hz -99 db

Phase Noise at 10 Hz -134 db

Phase Noise at 1 kHz -157 db

Phase Noise at 10 kHz* -157 db

Phase Noise at 100 kHz -157 db 

If you get me the phase noise figures at the same freq for other oscillator (Crystek or other) I will calculate the jitter for you to make the comparo possible.  

Be very careful with these numbers, they are not directly comparable to any other clock phase noise numbers. Note the numbers are in dB, NOT dBc/Hz which is the standard for phase noise measurements. Looking at that page from MSB it looks like those numbers are from an FFT. Which means this is a sampling of some waveform with some clock. Exactly what is undefined. Did they use the Galaxy clock to sample the analog wave from a DAC? If so is the Galaxy clock also used in the DAC? These unknowns make it very difficult to convert these numbers into meaningful dBc/Hz numbers that can be compared to other clocks.

John S.