IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

As for names starting with 'Sch..' - I have very few Schumann recordings - most of them are late M. Argerich performances and her earlier recordings mainly from 'The Collection' and 'EMI Classics' boxes. Haven't heard a lot of Schumann however I remember I liked his cello concerto. I count on your recommendations again guys! (both 70s-90s and newer recordings)

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I like his Piano Quartet and Piano Quintet very much. 

What performance(s) are your favorite ones? (I know Argerich's performances only, I like them).

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Beyond that I see Schumanns biggest potential in the solo piano genre.

I think I have always seen him in that way. That's why I decided to stick to Argerich (whom I just love) recordings. BTW she used to say that she and Schumann 'understood each other' very well ('Evening Talks with MA' documentary). Meaning his music was close to her and that she enjoys playing it.

Thanks, guys!

15 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I will pick Lupu (besides, on his Decca album it is paired with Grieg's Piano concerto, both in beautiful renditions).

Andsnes album includes Grieg piano concerto too. I think I'll order both. How about Richter's Schumann and Grieg PC (mid 70s recordings, I've found used SACD set at a good price - it includes Dvorak PC too).?

45 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Inspired by your question

Wow! I'm really impressed!  And there are moments when I think that my 500+ albums classical collection is something (for somebody whose interest in classical developed quite recently)..x-D Also glad that M. Argerich is at the top of your list. I'm not that much into chamber music so I'm afraid I won't have a chance to make a similiar comparison any time soon but I like her performance (in fact most of her performances in general). Thanks for posting your list!

@AnotherSpin As for different subgenres of classical preferences - I believe they can evolve. I got interested in chamber music about a year ago. Got quite few chamber recordings though. For now.. Unfortunately I'm not fond of opera (got just some Wagner and Callas but I like some instrumental transcriptions - eg IMO Gould's Wagner is quite interesting just like some of Wagner orchestral transcriptions). My main problem are male vocals. The female ones are easier to accept in my case.

What I'm doing right now reminds me of time (years ago) when I discovered jazz. I used to buy dozens of CDs per month back then - much more than I was able to listen to. Just used the momentum - enthusiasm connected with discovering whole new music world. Today I know all these albums I ordered back then. Some of them 'by heart' - note after note, musical nuance after musical nuance.. I know myself quite well  - the same will happen with all classical albums I've been buying recently. I don't buy music that is completly new to me in a random way - I look for information, ask people who know much more than I do (like you, guys) etc to minimise the number of second-rate recordings. I'm pretty sure 24hours day will be enough to get to know it all (96 hours would make the process faster yet do we really want 'faster' with music.?).

I'm very glad you guys directed my attention to Andsnes and Lupu albums (I've ordered both) - not only because of Schumann piano concerto but also because of Grieg's pc which I knew in fragments but I didn't know it was Grieg's(!). It's such a fantastic composition! Are there any performances that are  significantly better than the two above mentioned.? (it's not that I don't like them.. just asking)

Been just listening for the first time to Grieg's Lyric Pieces performed by Andsnes. Sound great too!

That's another bad news for my wallet..

15 hours ago, WAM said:

BTW, this thread is not good for my budget

Glad I'm not the only one to suffer in this regard :D

15 hours ago, WAM said:

Wayne Shorter's Speak no Evil (present from my son :-)).

He seems to have a very good taste!

As for Liszt's Faust Symphony I've decided to buy Bernstein and Solti performances. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!

Today I listened to:

rachmaninov-piano-concerto-no-2-corelli-

at the local store and I wasn't impressed. Nice photos in the booklet though.. Classical has been going in a sexy direction recently :)

Just finished listening to Argerich playing Rachmaninov 3 PC and asking myself the question - is sound quality of the recording really that important to me if the performance is just breathtaking.. Of course it'd be great if this recording sounded really good but I'm afraid it will never happen..

What do you think, guys.?

19 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

This performance is so beautiful, I was never able to pay an attention to SQ. Is there anything wrong with it? Anyway, I have a ten or more Rach 3d's, and enjoy most of them (Bronfman, Helfgott, Lugansky, Lang Lang, Andsnes, Janis, Hough, etc.) but Argerich's version is something not be touched even close...)

Just checked out - 8 versions in my collection. I love this piece. And I hardly listen to any other version than Argerich's :) It doesn't sound that bad but IMO the recording isn't the last word in detail, transparency and venue acoustics, even taking into account the fact that it's 1982 recording.

5 hours ago, Musicophile said:

You have enough Bruckner from a lifetime now.

Well..we will see if this is enough.. For now for sure.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I wish everyone to have lifetime long enough to listen many various great interpretations of Bruckner symphonies...) As for me there is not enough great 7th's or 8th's that I would stop looking for new versions I didn't know before.

For me that's yet another example of what a great adventure discovering new music can be. A week ago I didn't know his music at all! Hope I'm ignorant of more interesting composers than I suspect..

Ok, let's move on to 20th century music. I have some selected recordings of Mahler, Debussy, Schoenberg, Berg, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stockhausen, Reich, Glass, Britten and Part. 

The question is: have I omitted some important names/compositions.? (hope I have :))

Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Barber, Bartok, Sibelius, Faure, Poulenc...

I'm not that familiar with their music. Will check them out. Would you recommend some of their compositions/performances in particular?

17 hours ago, semente said:

Simeon Ten Holt's "Canto Ostinato":

This is a beautiful minimalist piece. I listened to fragments of 3 different performances yesterday for almost an hour and a half! Haven't decided which one I like best yet. What's your favorite version?

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

the most approachable Bartok...

Thanks. Will check it out.

2 hours ago, semente said:

I remember listening to a four piano and a two piano version and settled for the latter:

I'm not big fan of minimalism but this 'piece' is really beautiful.

Decided to get these two very different versions (and haven't OD'd yet :)):

http://www.allmusic.com/album/simeon-ten-holt-canto-ostinato-mw0001840281

http://www.allmusic.com/album/simeon-ten-holt-canto-ostinato-mw0001872469

32 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

One of Frank Zappa's favorite composers.  :)

I am aware of that. Bought Stravinsky cassette many years ago only because I knew Zappa liked him too. As it proved - I was too young for Stravinsky back then :) Couldn't digest Varese some years ago but maybe it's a good idea to check him out again..

BTW recently I bought 2 more Ensemble Organum albums. Great stuff! Thanks!