IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

16 hours ago, tdimler said:

Regarding Sokolov, I think his musicianship is almost without peer among living pianists.  I just wish we had some quality recordings!  So far the sound quality on the new DG releases is pretty lukewarm IMO.

I heard recent DG release of Mozart 23d and Rachmaninov 3d with him, and I must admit I was very puzzled with his blathery playing. Ether he was drunken or was in a great hurry to finish it as soon as he could.

2 hours ago, Boris75 said:

I agree this "Making Out on Mozart" CD is ridiculous, but in my opinion Yuja Wang's dresses are tasteful; they enhance the enjoyment from the performance, from a very high starting point, as her artistic talent is immense. I very much enjoy her CDs. I was also dazzled when hearing her in concert a couple of years ago. By the way, in that concert, she was wearing a very long dress.

Yuja is a charming person and one of the most promising modern performers. I've seen several videos of her and I think her dresses are okay.

1 hour ago, Boris75 said:

I very much agree with both your points. The symphony transcriptions do not make much sense to me in our age, when it is so easy to listen to anything anywhere. It was a different story before recordings existed. I like the song transcriptions, on the other hand, because they get rid of the voice, which, in certain listening circumstances, I do not want to hear.

It would be fun to see transcriptions as an attempt of a kind of reverse composing, from all instruments back to initial bare piano. 

7 hours ago, semente said:

I have the Ravel with BPO/Abbado for DG but it hasn't been played in years.

That honour goes to Michelangeli.

Will do so tonight.

This is the beauty of classical music where we would have not a single best performance, but a luxury of at least several...)

I like Michelangeli approach in selecting just a few pieces to perform for entire life, like 3d Beethoven sonata. It seems to me Argerich is doing something similar, even if in a wider extent. 

3 hours ago, tdimler said:

I couldn't agree more.  I don't think Martha's career suffered any from wearing more appropriate clothing!   Perhaps Yuja Wang has donned some subtle dresses, but I've not seen it.  Plenty of times I've seen her trot out on stage in something more suited to a night out clubbing, or maybe more like a nightgown.  I think it is a disgrace.  Goodness knows classical musicians can use lots of help in the fashion department, but attempting to make one into a sex symbol while sitting down to a Steinway in the concert hall?  Another story altogether.  Even if I though she was a great pianist (which I don't!)....the stage presence is too much to overcome.  

Well... I do not think it makes a sense to dismiss this or that musician just because his/her look doesn't come up to this or that expectation. Some are wearing strange dresses, some may even look strange. Anyway, music comes through ears, not eyes.

17 hours ago, semente said:

What are your performance suggestions for some of these great violin concertos?

For Bruch, Mendelssohn, Sibelius and Tchaikovsky I am happy with the following:

51LDHAGcQXL._SX355_.jpg

618BLxA-8GL._SY300_.jpg

41MREMQYKGL.jpg

R-4690962-1445793390-8738.jpeg.jpg

But about Bartok, Beethoven, Brahms & Mozart?

I love Isaac Stern with Ormandy/Philadelphia in Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn concertos. He is able to hit just right spot between being too sentimental and too detached. His Tchaikovsky is "russian" in very correct proportion, imho.

Bartok - Stern again, Menuhin is very good. 

Sibelius - Kavakos, Zimmermann.  

Beethoven - Menuhin, Heifetz, Oistrakh/Cluytens.

Brahms - Heifetz, Oistrakh

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Well, sometimes I wonder if less is more. I must have probably at least 3 or 4 days of bruckner symphonies in my library, plus all that's available on Qobuz. But then again, I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them (or maybe only some).

This is philosophical concern. I believe modern man owns much more than might be needed for happy life. Even more, all those possessions make hem/her less happy in most of the cases. The easy way out may be an abandon of practically all and everything, which is not an option for most of us, I guess. What to do?

1 hour ago, semente said:

Wagner's Ring... Without Words.

I enjoyed listening to the (then) local orchestra play Maazel's suite of The Ring's essential moments and later bought the CD:

51lK9-us16L.jpg

With Der Ring it is pretty much easy, also because operas are not recorded any more as often as in last century and because true Wagnerian voices extinct almost entirely - 10 or so complete cycles would cover almost every base: Moralt, Krauss, Keilbert, Furtwangler, one or two from Knappertsbusch, Solti, Bohm, Karajan, Barenboim, Thielemann.

7 minutes ago, rando said:

Glass,hope I can dig up someone else for the letter "G".    :/

Which is why it bothers me a little how much I've liked the two albums of transcriptions for harp Lavinia Meijer has made of various works by Philip Glass.  Not going to cheat since those stand on her musicianship.

I could name only Grieg. Do not think you keep in mind Gluck. Anyway, even taking these two there is plenty of space left for Glass. No problem at all, as with much more populated letter B.

Of course there is Grateful Dead. Are you a deadhead? I am.