IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Just got this:

MI0003595292.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

And I'm very happy. Don't know any other versions but I think it's great.

So what would your essential Bach recordings (cello suites, Goldberg v, keybord concertos, mass in b minor, orchestral suites, sonatas, partitas, fugue, Brandenburg concertos, WT clavier, anything else.?) be.?

This is a question. Well, there is about ten or fifteen essential recordings of each Cello Suites and Goldberg Var. which I am not willing to part with. My recommendation will be too lengthy. Also it changes constantly, one time I prefer HIP approach, the other time I am listening to modern renditions, than again HIP...) At the same time I believe there was a discussions for both pieces at CA before - I guess many people were sharing their preferences there, me too. Sorry..)

5 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Rostropovich

That would be my minus recommendation. 

6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I know :)

That's right - I've found these threads, thanks!

@Musicophile Thanks! I was just browsing your blog. What would be your second recommendation for cello suites (I've got Watkin but would willingly add one more version to my collection)?

Ok, for cello suites. I would suggest to try Thedeen, recent Wispelwey, Bylsma from 1979, Schiff. Watkin is very good. First recording by Ophelie Gaillard is mesmerizing.

14 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Actually I imagine Scarlatti sonatas played on harpsichord could sound interesting. Think I'll check it out tomorrow. Do you know any other compositions particularly well suited for harpsichord, guys? 

By some reason I am listening Scarlatti only played by piano. Sudbin is my clear winner here. 

Do you know Mahan Esfahani? He had Rameau recording and recent Goldberg Variations among other harpsichord recordings.

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

No, I don't. Will check him out.

Esfahani is Iranian, and he gives a good case to reconsider harpsichord sound...) In fact, I was not listening to harpsichord a lot, preferring piano all the way. I have no explanation for this, but my guess is harpsichord which you listen at home requires quite decent sound reproduction system, other wisely it will sound too sharp and irritating. Additionally I was not happy with harpsichord music before discovered some French artists, who plays differently than those who belong to what I call for myself "German" tradition. The same story with organ.

Another very interesting Iranian musician, who plays piano, is Ramin Bahrami. His Bach is very close to me.

10 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Starting with some good Esfahani albums. Not sure if all of this is "essential", but all of it are very good. 

034571179957-3.png

Or, more recently, including some contempary stuff:

0002894794964_600.jpg

Some others (again not all essential):

rather funky Bach transcriptions:

0825646220014_600.jpg

One of my favorite Scarlatti albums (although I'm not that much into Scarlatti in general)

3760127223269_600.jpg

Also check out vol. 1-4 and his Rameau (I already mentioned his Bach, his Goldberg's are among my favorites).

Finally, Andreas Staier is usually a safe bet, e.g.

3149020214305_600.jpg

or with a baroque orchestra (See also here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/01/15/a-review-of-cpe-bachs-cembalo-concertos-by-andreas-staier-just-beautiful/):

0794881984626_600.jpg

+1. This is very good recommendation. 

I only want to add, I do not feel there is something wrong with concentration on Bach. I almost believe I would survive very long time on his music only...) Today I am listening to his cantatas album by Sigiswald Kuijken with La Petite Bande and I am completely enchanted, would repeat it again and again.

16 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Like many of you, I have a large classical collection (some 1,700 albums, with some truly amazing recordings among them), but one I keep coming back to is actually a film soundtrack:  Tous les matins du monde, a 1991 French film.  It has some lovely early French Baroque music featuring Jordi Savall.  Well worth a listen.

3298490046401_600.jpg

I believe I started listen to Jordi Savall after watching this film and discovering Marais and Sainte-Colombe music from it. Wow, it was in mid-90s... Time flies.

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I had not been a big fan of string quartets until I saw this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226240/?ref_=nv_sr_1

What hi-res (got mainly redbook string quartets recordings)  Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart (any other composers worth a closer look.?) well recorded performances would you recommend.?

This is indeed a great movie! 

Can not recall interesting hi-rez string quartet recordings right at this moment, hope others have better memory. But, instead of this I want to name several interesting albums from Kronos Quartet which were made with world music artists (linkage with other thread):

- Caravan, with Kayhan Kalhore and Zakir Hussain among others;

- Short Stories, last track with extremely rare participation of Pandit Pran Nath, Indian Mystic, who imparted the truth about spiritual meaning of the sound to La Monte Young and Terry Riley;

- You’ve Stolen My Heart - with great Asha Bhosle, who sings in innumerable variety of Bollywood films.

4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

+1 for Schubert's string quintet being one of the absolute masterpieces of classical music.  Like the Beethoven late quartets, no single performance seems to capture everything.

Is the Ebène one of your top 3 favorites as a performance, disregarding SQ?   What are your other favorites?  I suppose mine is the 1952 (monaural) by Stern, Katims, A. Schneider, Casals & Tortelier.

I am trying to avoid making a comparative top lists. As you said, there is no definitive performance of D.956, and, I hope, it will never be. Sometimes, I hear Quintet performance with just doesn't work for me, or something goes wrong - in such case I tend to believe my own perception might be the reason. Of course, I am not speaking about terrible SQ, but, I am very tolerable here, and I love many archival recordings.

Well, your favorite version is very good, I listen it often. Was very much impressed with Lindsays version lately. But... I think I have more than twenty recordings of it, and I like every one of them.

37 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

As for names starting with 'Sch..' - I have very few Schumann recordings - most of them are late M. Argerich performances and her earlier recordings mainly from 'The Collection' and 'EMI Classics' boxes. Haven't heard a lot of Schumann however I remember I liked his cello concerto. I count on your recommendations again guys! (both 70s-90s and newer recordings)

I like his Piano Quartet and Piano Quintet very much. 

22 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

What performance(s) are your favorite ones? (I know Argerich's performances only, I like them).

[...]

If you have EMI box of chamber music with Argerich it contains very good performances of both. Otherwise you may try Jerusalem Quartet with Melnikov. 

11 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Andsnes album includes Grieg piano concerto too. I think I'll order both. How about Richter's Schumann and Grieg PC (I've found used SACD set at a good price - it includes Dvorak PC too).?

Inspired by your question I'm going through a marathon audition of various Schumann Piano Quintet versions since yesterday. I also made an evaluations which marks not a quality but my subjective preference of some Quintet versions over others. You could compare it with your findings if will be interested:

Argerich/Schwarzberg, etc. - 5+
Adsnes/Artemis - 5
Pires/Dumay, etc. - 5
Rubinsten/Guarneri - 5
Larrocha/Tokyo - 5
Zacharias/Leipziger - 5
Demus/Barylli - 5
Entremont/Alban Berg - 5
Melnikov/Jerusalem - 4
Howard/Schubert Ensemble - 4
Serkin/Budapest - 3
Hamelin/Takacs - 3
Rosel/Gewandhaus - 3
Pressler/Emerson - 2

I do not like Richter.

11 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Wow! I'm really impressed!  And I do sometimes think that my 500+ albums classical collection is something..x-D Also glad that M. Argerich is at the top of your list. I'm not that much into chamber music so I'm afraid I won't have a chance to make a similiar comparison any time soon but I like her performance (in fact most of her performances in general). Thanks for posting your list!

I do not expect everyone will support such approach, but I'd rather get another version of a piece I really love (I am happy to know not much of those) than will dive deep into the depth of composers and their compositions for which I didn't develop an interest. I listen chamber and solo performances much more than before, and I almost stopped listening to symphonies and opera which topped my interest for decades. Anyway, I collected much more music that I would listen to if only they will not invent some way to enlarge a day from 24 to 48 hours. 96 will be even better.

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

@AnotherSpin As for different subgenres of classical preferences - I believe they can evolve. I got interested in chamber music about a year ago. Got quite few chamber recordings though. For now.. Unfortunately I'm not fond of opera (got just some Wagner and Callas but I like some instrumental transcriptions - eg IMO Gould's Wagner is quite interesting just like some of Wagner orchestral transcriptions). My main problem are male vocals. The female ones are easier to accept in my case.

What I'm doing right now reminds me of time (years ago) when I discovered jazz. I used to buy dozens of CDs per month back then - much more than I was able to listen to. Just used the momentum - enthusiasm connected with discovering whole new music world. Today I know all these albums I ordered back then. Some of them 'by heart' - note after note, musical nuance after musical nuance.. I know myself quite well  - the same will happen with all classical albums I've been buying recently. I don't buy music that is completly new to me in a random way - I look for information, ask people who know much more than I do (like you, guys) etc to minimise the number of second-rate recordings. I'm pretty sure 24hours day will be enough to get to know it all (96 hours would make the process faster yet do we really want 'faster' with music.?).

I'm very glad you guys directed my attention to Andsnes and Lupu albums (I've ordered both) - not only because of Schumann piano concerto but also because of Grieg's pc which I knew in fragments but I didn't know it was Grieg's(!). It's such a fantastic composition! Are there any performances that are  significantly better than the two above mentioned.? (it's not that I don't like them.. just asking)

Been just listening for the first time to Grieg's Lyric Pieces performed by Andsnes. Sound great too!

That's another bad news for my wallet..

Glad I'm not the only one to suffer in this regard :D

He seems to have a very good taste!

Grieg's Concerto - the version I would treasure most is one from Dinu Lipatti (very archive...)

To your other points - I think a voice is the best musical instrument humans invented ever. If my memory serves me well, Gabriel Garcia Marquez once told opera taught people how to sing better than birds. And, worst half of humans also gave some vocalists which would turn you mind out, melt your heart and bring tears to your eyes. Give yourself a few minutes and listen to Hans Hotter in Bach’s “Ich habe genug” - you will know what I am talking about. Hans Hotter was, many believe, one of the best Wagner's Wotans, and I think any superlative will not be enough to give a praise to his artistry. He recorded mesmerizing renditions of Schubert’s lieder as well. I am not trying to narrow the list of great opera male singers to Hotter and Wagner only. The problem with Wagner is the best existing recordings belong to pre- and post-war eras, and sound quality in most cases is hardly enjoyable. One could enjoy a good sounding Karajan's schmaltzy Ring, but mostly because of orchestra, not singers. Even well beloved Solti’s first ever stereo Ring is not exactly on par with Krauss, Knappertsbusch and Keilbert cycles from 50s. Or, take Verdi. Listen to “Povero Rigoletto” (try Bastianini) – isn’t it gorgeous? And to “Cortigiani, vil razza dannata” right after it – you will have goosebumps sure as hell. Or, if you want something modern, try Bartok’s Bluebird's Castle, rare instrumental music would be as creepy and beautiful at the very same time as this short but extremely intense opera is. 

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Grieg's Concerto - the version I would treasure most is one from Dinu Lipatti (very archive...)

To your other points - I think a voice is the best musical instrument humans invented ever. If my memory serves me well, Gabriel Garcia Marquez once told opera taught people how to sing better than birds. And, worst half of humans also gave some vocalists which would turn you mind out, melt your heart and bring tears to your eyes. Give yourself a few minutes and listen to Hans Hotter in Bach’s “Ich habe genug” - you will know what I am talking about. Hans Hotter was, many believe, one of the best Wagner's Wotans, and I think any superlative will not be enough to give a praise to his artistry. He recorded mesmerizing renditions of Schubert’s lieder as well. I am not trying to narrow the list of great opera male singers to Hotter and Wagner only. The problem with Wagner is the best existing recordings belong to pre- and post-war eras, and sound quality in most cases is hardly enjoyable. One could enjoy a good sounding Karajan's schmaltzy Ring, but mostly because of orchestra, not singers. Even well beloved Solti’s first ever stereo Ring is not exactly on par with Krauss, Knappertsbusch and Keilbert cycles from 50s. Or, take Verdi. Listen to “Povero Rigoletto” (try Bastianini) – isn’t it gorgeous? And to “Cortigiani, vil razza dannata” right after it – you will have goosebumps sure as hell. Or, if you want something modern, try Bartok’s Bluebird's Castle, rare instrumental music would be as creepy and beautiful at the very same time as this short but extremely intense opera is. 

Well, this is funny..) Bluebeard's Castle.

17 hours ago, semente said:

My favorite Symphonies at the moment.

Even though I am quite partial to the Romantic period I'll let LvB into the list.

I felt compelled to append a maestro but I should add that I don't own many interpretations of some of these works and some of them were bought accidentally or by magazine suggestion.

Beethoven: 3 (Schmidt-Isserstedt), 5 (Kleiber), 9 (Wand)
Berlioz: Fantastique (Inbal)
Brahms: 3 (Wand), 4 (Kleiber)
Bruckner: 4 (Wand), 7 (Blomstedt)
Dvorak: 8 (Suitner), 9 (Neumann)
Rachmaninoff: 2 (Fischer)
Schubert: 8 (Wand), 9 (Wand)
Schumann: 3 (Sawallisch)
Sibelius: 2 (Vanska), 5 (Vanska)
Tchaikovsky: 5 (Mravinsky), 6 (Masur)

I would not be willing to select one conductor for most of this...) 

On 6/27/2017 at 0:25 AM, semente said:

I am now listening to Sibelius' Pelléas & Mélisande (Baudo / CPO - Supraphon), writing down another list, this time with a few concertos. :)

213.jpg?1489496620

I was trying very hard to appreciate this opera, no success as per now. Oh, I meant Debussy's opus.

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

Same here.  Pelleas is much more abstract and non-melodic than Debussy's instrumental music.

Poulenc's "Dialogues of the Carmelites" is a more inviting entry point for modern French opera.  Berlioz' "Les Troyens" is an interesting opera to explore.  It's long and not uniformly inspired, but the best parts are wonderful.

On the whole, I must admit I vastly prefer Italian opera.

Not trying to be selective, but I could survive easily without any French opera. Yes, I will keep Carmen in my desert island chest, just as an example to support a general rule. And, just because chest is not so big, I will limit my collection down to Wagner, Mozart, Verdi, Puccini, mostly.