IGNORED

Giant Black Things in my Living Room

I have been a fan of Magnepan speakers ever since they ousted my pair of Vandersteens in the mid-1990s after a several month long comparison.  

After 22 years, I decided to upgrade my 1.5QRs but the dealer wouldn't let me test the 3.7i speakers at home.  So, I kept trying to find a different brand - maybe dynamic speakers would work better in my difficult listening room or provide better bass and sound for rock music at the same price.  No real luck there but I did find a used pair of 3.7i speakers for 30% off.  I'd wanted the cream or off-white cloth so it would blend into the background and not be so obvious.  For the side rails I'd wanted oak again or maybe cherry which would look nicer.  Instead, these 2 ft. by 6 ft. panels are black on black and they seem HUGE.

IIRC, theses new 3.7i's are rated to 40 kHz so these are xlnt test subjects.

The old ones were 1.5QRs (not 3.7s) and the main difference I hear is a LOT more clarity in the sound.  Also more speed, and more LF extension.  I am going to hook one of the 1.5QRs back up and set the pre-amp to mono, then do a test where I walk back & forth (a la @Jud ).

The only really extensive listening tests of others was 3.7i vs. 1.7.

BTW, I have some of the worst listening room layouts one can imagine.  But I like having big picture windows... and it would really be nuts to try and move them.

More to come...

Yes -- very ...ah... spacey.

But for all its advanced technology (what with radio beams to Jupiter and all), the Monoliths are relatively inefficient at converting electricity into acoustic energy.  Magnelith, the company in Magnasota that builds them, says they are just 86 dB, 500Hz, 1 meter, 2.83V.  I guess that is A-weighted.

Here we see an unfortunate listener attempting to drive one with an early version of the "First What" amplifier.  The SPL is so low he had to fashion that hearing trumpet in his hand out of a leg bone.

ape bone monolith low efficiency.jpeg

I think there are plenty of monkeys listening to high-end audio systems already (trading in their monkey chow on magic cables, etc.)

BTW, monkeys are certainly subject to certain human biases, and so are birds.  when I was teaching undergraduate biology course, I used ot have a slide I'd show of a frigate bird sitting on and incubating a large red ball.  It had abandoned its own egg to incubate a bigger, redder object...  So there is a general bias for larger size (sometimes called "The Mae West Effect").

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here they are - I often pull them further apart and further from the rear wall if "really" listening.

Given the highly asymmetric room and the glass on 1st & 2nd reflection points for the LH side I am a bit surprised they sound as good as they do.

Den stereo Listening Room.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...