IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the feedback. Going from a wide screen to this is kind of tough, but nearly all readability studies suggest this is the sweet spot with respect to number of characters and line length. ...

That may be the sweet spot for a news anchor's auto-queue, but it is not at all suited for presenting technical information and audiophile arguments (which tend to be rather elaborate). I want to see as much text and information from posts as possible. This format may be good for mobile devices, but IMO it's far from optimal for browsing/searching an audio forum with a decent computer and screen.    

Well, it all looks much better now than it did 2 days ago. :) Yet, I would prefer even more horizontal and vertical space for content/posts. This can be easily achieved with a slightly smaller font and/or a smaller line spacing. Also, some chunky black menu bars can be much smaller and this ugly top menu bar shouldn't be continuously visible, wasting vertical space. And please get rid of the black & white theme. Nothing wrong with blue or even purple shades, anything but black and white.. Thanks. :)

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If anyone needs to adjust the notifications being sent from CA about new posts etc..., here's the link - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/notifications/options/

And if you want the same basic notification settings as the (default) settings of the old CA site, check the option: "Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community."

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

... I think the best solution is for me to adjust the font on the username. I researched it yesterday and found that there are other items that use the same value. In other words, changing the font on the username also changes the font elsewhere. Thus, I need to do a bit more editing of the site behind the scenes to make this work. ...

Well, if adjusting the font of the usernames will simultaneously adjust the font of the *MENU BARS*, that will be a very good thing. :) 

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

... This site is for the readers. I want to make it the best site possible. ...

More screen space for ads and less for content is not in the interest of readers.

And regarding this always visible big ugly black header bar, here's  a site where on the home page, not only the main menu is much better looking, the header bar only appears when (on a Windows PC) you scroll up and it disappears when you scroll down. Brilliant!

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/

Note that In the forum threads on that site, the main menu simply disappears with the scrolled content, which is also excellent.

5 hours ago, mansr said:

... Speaking of the persistent menu bar, it's mostly a waste of space. I'd much rather see the bar with search, notifications, etc in its place. Those I actually click on from time to time.

I agree. And if a (much smaller) header menu bar *must* be shown persistently, then I would include a clickable *go to top* icon/link, so that the go to top links in each and every post can be removed..

30 minutes ago, botrytis said:

My problem with this type of playing is it doesn't follow a DBT style test. What they do is, this is the track w/o MQA - play and then play the MQA file while describing the differences you should hear. This is an AUTOMATIC BIASING of the test. PERIOD. Nothing can be claimed as asounding better in this type of listening because your brain does all the biasing in this test.

What they should have done is: The system should be setup behind a curtain and the people setting up this testing, tell the track name (for the test of both) and this is A - play it and this is B . This should be done with all the tracks being randomized so not all MQA is B or A. This is never done as the marketing people KNOW that telling you what you are listening to (MQA or not) automatically biases you because, of course, MQA should sound better.

I am a scientist, by training, and really hate the non-scientific way audiophile companies use to hawk their wares.

Huh? I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread..:|

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, plissken said:

How does the quoting system work. Having a heckuva time taking a single quoted post and breaking it up into blocks.

Place the cursor at the position in the quoted post where you want to split it and press enter twice. After that be careful because you can remove such a block with a single backspace keystroke and you can't get it back with the undo function (right mouse click -> undo), so you may have to create and type your entire reply again. Very annoying. This can also happen when you just try to remove a newline between a quote block and your text or a newline within a block. Finally, getting text below the last block can be a PITA. Sometimes the editor simply won't let you type anything there.

5 hours ago, plissken said:

Also if you start a response how do you scrap it all together?

Just don't post it and refresh the page..

• 1 month later...

@The Computer Audiophile I used to receive only a single email notification when new content was posted in a topic I follow, until I revisited the forum, which was perfect. Since a few days however I receive email notifications for *every* new post in topics that I follow, amounting to tens or even hundreds of emails per day. :o So I checked my notification settings and the option "Sent a notification when new content is posted" was selected. Moreover, the option "Only send one email notification  for content I follow until I revisit the community" has disappeared! Why? Can you please restore this notification option? Thanks.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Looks like it’s still there.

A9B9A526-EFE9-4A30-B906-E10D91D4F8B1.jpeg

Hi Chris,
I'm 100% sure that the removed option stated literally: "Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community." This is the default notification behavior of other fora I visit and it was the notification behavior I selected in my settings. It worked just like it says; you receive one notification per topic until you sign in again. I find this very useful. The option: "A notification when new content is posted," sends notifications of *all posts in all topics you follow*, whether or not you are signed in. I can't see why anyone would select this option, it's pretty useless and you will receive a lot of emails from CA..

So the notification preference setting "only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community" is present and it is checked in my settings, but it no longer works. I still receive notifications for all new content in all topics that I follow. Also, if I select the option "Do not send me notifications," I keep receiving notifications..

• 2 months later...