IGNORED

DAC suggestions coax input, no USB input needed

There are two tuners I wish to switch directly to a pre-amp, and not having to switch via a DAC that I already have to a different input to the pre-amp.

The main DAC, a Playback designs MPD-3 has an analog output that's too hot and it can accept a coax and AES3. For digital audio, HQ Player is set to -6.0db permanently and the is level is OK compared to other sources, not so much of a jump in volume.

Thing is, only need a coax input to RCA, USB is not required. The fixed sample rate is 48kHz, so maximum 96kHz is more than enough.

Prefer a DAC that's directly AC powered, rather than wall warts, or alternatively a 5V USB mini connector which I can run off an LPS.

Any ideas welcome. Price is not so much of an issue since what I'm looking for is not that expensive I imagine.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

For a classy s/h option, how about the original Chord DAC64? AC power, accepts 24/96 via single BNC or AES input. Sold mine for £599. Or as a more left-field s/h option(valve, mainly but not all NOS) one of the cheaper audio note DACs? I have a DAC zero which sounds pretty good, ac power, valve output, coaxial input to 24/96, conventional SDM. Go for around £275 in UK.

It's all good. I actually hooked it up to a secondary system yesterday to hear how it sounds and was a bit shocked. It's actually better than most of the under 1k DAC's I've heard recently. Now I know what I get many folks from Asia looking to get it as the older Krell gear is loved in that market as many know.

Thanks to the comments so far. Yes most DACs have a coax input, but no need to spend money on inputs that are not required :) Maybe the older DACs are some way forward, or the Schiit Modi.

@ctsooner - The Krell is nice thanks for the offer, but no space in the rack, even for 1U style :(

There are two tuners I wish to switch directly to a pre-amp, and not having to switch via a DAC that I already have to a different input to the pre-amp.

The main DAC, a Playback designs MPD-3 has an analog output that's too hot and it can accept a coax and AES3. For digital audio, HQ Player is set to -6.0db permanently and the is level is OK compared to other sources, not so much of a jump in volume.

Thing is, only need a coax input to RCA, USB is not required. The fixed sample rate is 48kHz, so maximum 96kHz is more than enough.

Prefer a DAC that's directly AC powered, rather than wall warts, or alternatively a 5V USB mini connector which I can run off an LPS.

Any ideas welcome. Price is not so much of an issue since what I'm looking for is not that expensive I imagine.

Might be overkill, there is a BADA Alpha Dac on Audiogon. This is what I might use for this. It is BNC and not RCA for coax.

My tuners have AES and not coax. Using a Canare converter this gives galvantically isolated coax.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.