IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi @Miska:

Thanks for fixing HQPe so that it both recognizes NAAs on the network and is automatically seen by HQP Client on other machine.  Both of those things work perfectly now.

Today for the very first time I was able to play a couple of tracks--from HQPe on custom Mac mini to highly tuned NUC running AudioLinux/NAA--out to modified Singxer SU-1 to Holo Spring L3 via I2S/LVDS/HDMI.  With control from your Client on my desktop iMac.

Sound is glorious.  Quite clearly better than HQP Desktop on iMac through to NAA.  Spooky real!

I barely managed to get the Library scanner in HQPe to find a thumb drive with a couple of files.  Seems like the USB ports mount thumb dives as "sdc" sometimes...  Something is inconsistent here and now scans of all my thumb drives result in "Fail!" from HQPe.

Plus now the main HQPe window mysteriously has loaded a series of test tracks that are not mine.  They appear as:

/run/media/mmcblk0p2/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav   

There is no button to clear that queue.  Those are not in the Library--which is now empty.

So I am really confused about getting music tracks into the HQPe Library.  And what I actually need to arrive at is a way to get HQPe to scan (reliably) a hard drive full of music (attached to the iMac at my desk) that I have shared as an smb: volume.  MacOS Sharing tells me that other computers should be able to see my shared volumes at smb://192.168.8.109.  But how on earth do I point HQPe to that?

I would consider directly attaching my music drive via USB to the HQPe-running Mac mini.  But that would leave me without any means to manage or add to my music library.  If figure if HQPe can see my Mac drive with music, I could continue to use iTunes (or the lovely DSD and FLAC supporting Swinsian) to manage files.

Looking forward to your guidance.  For a short while the music was heavenly.  Now I can get any tracks into it.

Best,

--Alex C.

P.S.  Can you please also explain the purpose and usage of the Input menu in HQP Embedded?

Hi Alex,

I'm "afraid" I share your opinion about SQ; only heard 3 tracks so far but those let me in a state of disbelief : if I'm not delusional now, how have I missed that for so long and considered Desktop on WS2012, better yet with my TEAC than on macOS,  so good...

If you actually booted from a SD card on your Mac, which did you use, what's the trick ?(failed with 3, including 2 from back your osx trick). Works with a usb stick

I don't master either the Library; works don't know how

through df & mount I found my music on sdc1 and once saw under the Library tag the folder "4embedded" I created (after I had chosen removable in Imput"). Now it keeps saying 0 album but the files show nevertheless on the Main page.

There I can only play them in sequential order or have to press the "next" arrow : can not select a track and launch it

I have TBs of Music on a macos formatted HDD (plays just fine with Windows through wifi or wired, thanks to SMB if I understand well ) and I'm happy Miska has the task on his to do list

44 minutes ago, Miska said:

I will later add tools for mounting SMB shares.

great ! 

So, I would have to purchase a Embedded license (no upgrade coupon I guess...)

a thunderbolt/Ethernet adaptor

what about the ethernet connection ? I'm trialing with a "FTP CAT6E 4 PAIRS" cheapo ; what's the opinion here about the right cable/ optical decouplers or what have you? (I am perfectly happy with 5ghz wifi streaming from the HDD these days)

@Miska I have FAT32 formatted a 500 GB hdd and filled it with music and it appeared and populated Library just fine

To play an album press play in front of the album. To play a track press play in front of the track. Fine. But it plays just that track

But how about not wanting to listen to the whole Heroes album but wanting to have Neukohln follow Moss Garden??!!

I tried the full monty with a borrowed extra MBP and the macOS networkaudiod and no chance.Perfect connection between the wired MBP the wifi mac and the wifi Vista PC, or so it seems, but the TEAC 501 would not start because of a non integer affair.

4.03 Client worked just fine on the 2nd MBP (did not try to have it run both as NAA and as Interface ; is it an option?)

Globally Embedded seems easy now that it works.

HUGE CAVEAT : heat ; is there a danger for my good ol' 2012 MBP? I have seen cpu temperature beyond threshold and cpu throttles messages. However it was followed by messages about speed being normal

But maybe it's the reason music stopped abruptly sometimes ? or maybe it's Trial mode ? (but it doesn't have the clock precise feeling given by 4 as trial). I also changed settings to default for number of bits and buffer for the TEAC 501; good idea?

I'm very motivated by the sound. I have not made comparisons. On some tracks I had greater souvenirs with 3 or 4 but the general feeling was that it might have been my mood/my perception today while I had the global feeling it was better than ever with incredible resolution of details on well known tracks, and always a soft gentle natural sound, as if a digitis that I did not suspect was there with Desktop on Windows and Mac OS and was now removed.

I have a gamer fan board that I used with the 2 rear fans only . I will activate the 2 front ones as well but the MAc gets maddening hot and that's my main fear now. That is mainly with DSD 64 convolved and upscaled to 128. Any suggestion.

I have another use for the usb hub I use now. Buying a second one is cheaper than the thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor ; do you expect a difference towards an even better SQ if I plug directly the usb stick with embedded and have the ethernet on a thunderbolt port?

Thanks and kudos

8 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, great! :)

So here...

Screenshot_2019-05-28_23-31-53.thumb.png.6f91e1d836d440d64609156541585cd1.png

...you can use the upper "Play" button to play the album immediately. And the lower "Queue" button to queue it on the playlist.

Note that there are two modes just like in HQPlayer Desktop 3/4, "album mode" where you load an album to the transport. Just like you load CD disc to CD player. The other mode is "playlist mode". Queues are always in "playlist mode", but playing an album is in "album mode". Reason for these two are that "album mode" contains some optimizations that "playlist mode" doesn't have. Primarily because of some assumptions about albums:

1. All tracks belong together and are in specific order
  2. All tracks are same format (sample rate, file format, etc)
  3. There's one common cover image for all tracks (not a strict limitation though)

When you click that "Burn" link, you get to the album view...

Screenshot_2019-05-28_23-32-48.thumb.png.e188c197e0cae172c1e8df3cff0f3ac2.png

Where you can either immediately play a track using "Play" button, or queue the track to the playlist using "Queue" button.

This same logic is also in the HQPlayer Client which you can also use to do the same thing, with some extra flexibility.

If it's cooling is doing it's job, it shouldn't have a problem. And at least the CPU has heat protections anyway. In addition, the image also contains some thermal management. Overheating may lead to audio drop-outs though, because CPU clocks and voltages are dropped to lower levels to keep thermals in bay (called "thermal throttling").

Laptops are tightly packed devices and tend to have some heat challenges always, not so much designed for constant high loads, although many professionals still do it all the time (for example video professionals rendering video/movie files which is much higher load than HQPlayer).

Probably it makes a difference in many ways. I'm just not sure if the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter on Mac will work with the image. I can try to find time to try it out some time with the Macs I have... Thunderbolt is essentially PCIexpress, which is much more efficient than USB. In addition, less traffic on USB removes quite a bit of extra load from the CPU too.

Mac is quite a lot like a PC, but Apple has done some things a bit differently, so things don't always work as expected...

Thank you very much !

HDD + USB stick running Embedded + USB to Ethernet adapter on the same USB port does not seem "physiological" and I feel it accounts for the issues

the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter is supposed to work just fine with my MBP and I'll order one as soon as you will be able to confirm it works with the image. 

BTW, I tried to put music on a FAT32 SD card and the image does not see it. And I still can't boot from SD card either (loops on writing timout

On 5/28/2019 at 4:07 AM, Superdad said:

Hi @Miska:

Thanks for fixing HQPe so that it both recognizes NAAs on the network and is automatically seen by HQP Client on other machine.  Both of those things work perfectly now.

Today for the very first time I was able to play a couple of tracks--from HQPe on custom Mac mini to highly tuned NUC running AudioLinux/NAA--out to modified Singxer SU-1 to Holo Spring L3 via I2S/LVDS/HDMI.  With control from your Client on my desktop iMac.

Sound is glorious.  Quite clearly better than HQP Desktop on iMac through to NAA.  Spooky real!

I barely managed to get the Library scanner in HQPe to find a thumb drive with a couple of files.  Seems like the USB ports mount thumb dives as "sdc" sometimes...  Something is inconsistent here and now scans of all my thumb drives result in "Fail!" from HQPe.

Plus now the main HQPe window mysteriously has loaded a series of test tracks that are not mine.  They appear as:

/run/media/mmcblk0p2/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav   

There is no button to clear that queue.  Those are not in the Library--which is now empty.

So I am really confused about getting music tracks into the HQPe Library.  And what I actually need to arrive at is a way to get HQPe to scan (reliably) a hard drive full of music (attached to the iMac at my desk) that I have shared as an smb: volume.  MacOS Sharing tells me that other computers should be able to see my shared volumes at smb://192.168.8.109.  But how on earth do I point HQPe to that?

I would consider directly attaching my music drive via USB to the HQPe-running Mac mini.  But that would leave me without any means to manage or add to my music library.  If figure if HQPe can see my Mac drive with music, I could continue to use iTunes (or the lovely DSD and FLAC supporting Swinsian) to manage files.

Looking forward to your guidance.  For a short while the music was heavenly.  Now I can get any tracks into it.

Best,

--Alex C.

P.S.  Can you please also explain the purpose and usage of the Input menu in HQP Embedded?

@Superdad I have writing timeouts preventing me from booting from a SD card

Have you found a way around or can you please tell me which model has worked for you on Mac hardware?

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Dear Jussi:

Now that you have kindly added to Embedded support for mounting/scanning SMB volumes, can you please explain to us (non-Linux layfolk) the exact syntax to enter in the Path field on Library page before hitting the “Scan” button?

On the Mac when I set an attached drive or directory to be shared, it tells me that other computers will be able to connect to it at smb://192.168.8.112.  Though that would seem to be the address/path for all drives being shared by that machine—so more specifics will likely be needed.  Still, how do I begin to point HQPe to such volumes?

Given that the packaged HQPe image I am booting does not let us log in (you don’t give out login name or password), my Linux friends can not help me scan the network to see how shares look from its perspective.

Thanks very much,

ALEX

root is the password at login 

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

@Miska, aside from loading music from shared network drives, the final puzzle piece for me is to understand what music player front ends—available for macOS or simply to run in a browser—that will allow me to play though HQ Player Embedded.

I promise I am trying to give love to your Client, but it is tough.

THANKS!

I think I saw Roon suggested by Miska

31 minutes ago, Miska said:

Now the latest HQPlayer OS image contains support for SMB/CIFS mounts.

Auto-mounting at boot should (I didn't test much) work following kind of line in /etc/fstab

//server/share		/mountpoint		cifs	user=myuser,pass=mypass		0 0

Replace "//server/share" with the correct one and "/mountpoint" with a folder path that you create for the purpose. Then "myuser" with your server side username and "mypass" with server side password.

afp seems to be the incumbent protocol ; is it supposed to work as well ?

afp://AirPort._afpovertcp._tcp.local

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Now the latest HQPlayer OS image contains support for SMB/CIFS mounts.

Auto-mounting at boot should (I didn't test much) work following kind of line in /etc/fstab

//server/share		/mountpoint		cifs	user=myuser,pass=mypass		0 0

Replace "//server/share" with the correct one and "/mountpoint" with a folder path that you create for the purpose. Then "myuser" with your server side username and "mypass" with server side password.

could you please help further?

let's forget my Time capsule and afp 

Before the TC I have an internet provider's box called a bbox. I have plugged the HDD into it, empowered share and can access it when I (on macOS) go to go to the server and type smb://bbox 

as simple as that if I choose invitee ; it then just opens the folder dubbed 4ED I created on the HDD with music files

let's add that the username for the bbox is admin and that the password is one of those suggested by Safari but let's say it is concombre for the sake of exemple

what would then be the syntax

just after I have typed root at login

under the Library tab (including if necessary run/media)

?

and does the larger of spaces between characters matter? (better dumb looking than stuck!)

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

You could first make a mount point for it "mkdir -p /media/bbox".

Then the line to add to /etc/fstab with "nano /etc/fstabe" would be (ctrl-x will exit and ask you about saving)

//bbox/4ED  /media/bbox  cifs  username=admin,password=concombre  0 0

You can then test if it works by running "mount /media/bbox" and see if it succeeds. If it does (doesn't complain and "ls /media/bbox" shows something), then this will be mounted at every boot. Then in HQPlayer library scan you can point it at /media/bbox and that's it.

No the amount of spaces doesn't matter, as long as you have at least one space between. Some people like to keep the file pretty and have each entry in nice columns... :)

Format of the file is:

source_node mount_point filesystem options dump_frequency boot_check_order

P.S. Sometimes giving instructions on this forum is difficult, because the cloud service bans my posts if they contain certain unix commands...

thank you very much ! can't try at the moment but will report asap

3 hours ago, Miska said:

You could first make a mount point for it "mkdir -p /media/bbox".

Then the line to add to /etc/fstab with "nano /etc/fstabe" would be (ctrl-x will exit and ask you about saving)

//bbox/4ED  /media/bbox  cifs  username=admin,password=concombre  0 0

You can then test if it works by running "mount /media/bbox" and see if it succeeds. If it does (doesn't complain and "ls /media/bbox" shows something), then this will be mounted at every boot. Then in HQPlayer library scan you can point it at /media/bbox and that's it.

No the amount of spaces doesn't matter, as long as you have at least one space between. Some people like to keep the file pretty and have each entry in nice columns... :)

Format of the file is:

source_node mount_point filesystem options dump_frequency boot_check_order

P.S. Sometimes giving instructions on this forum is difficult, because the cloud service bans my posts if they contain certain unix commands...

no success

once I have typed mkdir -p /media/bbox with the correct spaces it says nothing and gives me hand back ; fine, I guess

then I access nano just fine and type the line with the boring Safari given password (especially with an AZERTY keyboard ! but I know the conversions by heart by now!), end the line with 2 zeros separated by a space and exit just fine that is I type Y and then enter 

then it says media/bbox can not be found in etc/fstab  fstab without a "e" while I nano acces to writre fstabe with a "e" : the issue, something else ?

thank you so much ! I go enjoy embedded as is

14 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

no success

once I have typed mkdir -p /media/bbox with the correct spaces it says nothing and gives me hand back ; fine, I guess

then I access nano just fine and type the line with the boring Safari given password (especially with an AZERTY keyboard ! but I know the conversions by heart by now!), end the line with 2 zeros separated by a space and exit just fine that is I type Y and then enter 

then it says media/bbox can not be found in etc/fstab  fstab without a "e" while I nano acces to writre fstabe with a "e" : the issue, something else ?

thank you so much ! I go enjoy embedded as is

I entered nano /etc/fstab , no e, and now I know my bbox is so old (provider offered to change it but I did not see the point so far) that its SMB is 1, not default, that I should add "vers=1.0" somewhere (BUT WHERE???) at mount, and it says things like failure code 111 or 112 and/or host is down.

When I test under macOS GOTO/connect to server /smb://bbox there are 2 ways 

invitee and it connects to 4ED right away without password

Referenced user and there it connects ok with the password that I typed in etc/fstab as well but the strange thing is that the username is different (it's my name on the Mac/session)

BTW I have uncommented a line in etc/fstab and that might give me access to a SD card as storage for music files and so lighten the burden on the busy usb port and, hopefully, on the CPU.

Hopefully you'll find out that thunderbolt/ethernet works with the image and that would lighten the burden so far

The issue remaining the HEAT built whenever playing DSD files. Even with all fans on on my external board. Temperature package says speed normal though. I am under the impression that the fans inside the Mac never get triggered with Embedded. With less heat than that they get mad when I rip a SACD and I'm happy it doesn't long cause it makes me feel very uncomfortable for the sake of my Mac that I can't afford to change.

Otherwise, I'll probably maniacally run 1 or 2 more comparisons but I'm globally through with that : Embedded was love at first sight/hearing and I just want to listen how incredibly good music sounds, not make comparisons.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, that is for security reasons. You can put "vers=1.0" in the comma separated list of options, so "username=asd,password=asd,vers=1.0"

That is something I unfortunately cannot do anything about...

Thank you so much ! Works like a charm so I hope it will for @Superdad with a syntax that should be close. I just got rid of the username that seems to be whoever is connecting, but otherwise it's all per your writing. Only caveat comes from the bbox that accepts only F32 formatted disk so I can't migrate my Terabytes full HDD from the TC.However I can easily D&D files with HDDs sitting at their respective places

Don't underestimate yourself about the heat issue ! We can get rid of the hub, maybe. Now we have the network connection including SMB occupying a usb slot on my hub ; if you could confirm that Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter works with the image I would buy one as soon as I go to the next big city, that is Monday, and thus lower the cpu load and hopefully keep it where it wouldn't make me worry

I had a moment of discouragement I solved before bedtime by running a second ethernet cable (CAT 7 FLAT; does it matter? where is it better used than the 6E?)to the PC than runs the web browser and that I used wifi so far in this trial but at the very beginning. As a matter of fact, WIFI accessing/updating the Library since the HDD has gone SMB is just too painful.

That leads to questions: I never had issues, on the contrary, great SQ, wifi streaming music files to Desktop 3 or 4, but can the (previous) wifi connection of the PC be responsible for the dropouts and sudden interruptions I have experienced so far with Embedded? Furthermore, can the quality of the front machine (including if it's struggling, low in battery, whatever affects its condition) matter for SQ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I want to try Audirvana as a front end for Embedded.

How to make it work ; can somebody please share how he/she succeeded ?

from what I googled it's supposed to be automagic but no : Embedded on a machine is well seen on a second Mac (where Audirvana is) via browser and I can play music from Library but Audirvana just offers Built in Output.

Once @Superdad reported success but for DSD files ; I'm looking to access both PCM and DSD files and hopefully from my main HDD that is connected to a Apple Time Capsule (works perfectly with Desktop that I run under Windows) : alternatives to Audirvana are welcome but I also tried JRIver and it's super buggy/crashes all the time and did not work either

Note that I prefer D&D from Finder (yes I admit I spent quite some time creating folders and subfolders) and am not looking for a better fancier GUI. My issue is that my  SMB accessed HDD (not the big one on the Apple TC that is not formatted to work via SMB or directly connected to Embedded) does not show all albums. 

5 hours ago, acatala said:

Hello @Le Concombre Masqué,

I use HQPlayer Embedded as an output to Roon, so it is configured and running. I also have a copy of Audirvana installed in my MacBook Pro that I use away from home as a hub for Tidal and Qobuz but not in my home where I use Roon.

After upgrading Audirvana+ 3.2 to Audirvana 3.5 I realized that HQPlayer Embedded was available as an output to Audirvana without any configuration made by me. I just out of curiosity selected HQPlayer from Audirvana and it started to play. Just like that.

So from my point of view, the only thing you need is a running HQPlayer Embedded.

My HQPlayer Embedded runs on Debian based Intel NUC, that also runs Roon Core. HQPlayer Embedded streams DSD to a NAA attached to my remote DAC.

Thank you @acatala, HQPE runs just fine but does not appear as an output to Audirvana. Both machines are wired to the same switch and the machines to communicate fine since I can launch HQPE on a machine from the other : I don't dig what's not working. I'm gonna check Firewall and stuff like that...

1 hour ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer package pulls it in as a dependency and HQPlayer Embedded cannot be started if it doesn't exist, so it is not a likely problem.

Constraints for UPnP are similar to NAA. So multicast needs to be functional in the network, so very likely things like multi-homed setup would cause problems in this respect (multicast routing).

very enlightening ! so much esoteric complexity could only be solved by utmost simplicity and immediately after reading your post I connected the E running machine to my Airport TC rather than to my ISP's bbox.

et voilà ! automagically Embedded was offered as output 

HOWEVER I'm facing @Superdad's issue : works just fine with PCM files (output SDM as well as PCM) but DSD files remain mute ; Audirvana's progression bar is busy just as if it was going to play but it does not go through...

On 6/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, Miska said:

I'll try to check this out next week if I can see what is going wrong with DSD files. So far I think I've only tested DSD files from MinimServer with BubbleUPnP Android-app as control point.

PCM files certainly work fine from A.

This might be trickier : Audirvana seems to launch OK my PCM MCH rips but they do play with, audibly, missing parts : guess only FL & FR go through ; so it sounds anyway.

Will have the MB Air only on short loan and circumstances have not been to comparisons, not even to listening to music loud long enough,  but it felt like comforting the impression I had when I run your NAA image on my MBP15 : fabulous!

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Noted but Devialet Phantom (discussed above), being DSP speakers, are a different category of product...

I've heard them with digital room EQ (Bubble UPnP + minimserver with convolution at 192kHz) and they sounded incredible.

Would be even better to have this with HQP NAA. Will make the request to Devialet but the chances seem slim.

if you have not purchased them yet, check the Cabasse

i'm amazed by the fantastic sound I get from Embedded + Linux image NAA running on a MB Air.

To replace the Air I'm considering, per Miska's recommended list, UP Board or Logic Supply CL100 ; has anyone compared/can argue the pro/cons of the 2? (ie is the Logic worth the extra money for its EMI protection?)

Moreover, I'm worried by the Power Supply. I can't economically consider SBooster, Uptone etc ; is running from a POWER BANK a safe reliable great sounding viable solution? How would it work? by connecting to a USB C port?

Suggestion on the EU market?

On 11/28/2018 at 10:58 PM, Em2016 said:

I have the brilliant Jussi recommended Up Board Gateway (they've given it a new name now) running as NAA - works brilliantly. 

https://up-shop.org/home/81-up-gws01w4g-memory32g-emmc-boardwo-vesa-plate.html

It is very low in power consumption... I can power it with a 5Vdc 900mA USB3.0 port (just non bus powered USB DAC and ethernet connected, no other devices). For critical listening I can take it 'off the grid' with my 5Vdc 1A USB powerbank and this DC power cable:

https://www.lindy.com.au/usb-to-dc-cable-2-1mm-inner-5-5mm-outer-1-5m

I haven't tried wireless though - I use it wired.

There's a WiFi antenna connection on the UpBoard Gateway case but I don't know what accessories are needed for that.

I may try wireless (via USB adapter) this weekend, just out of curiosity. I'm running DietPi x86_64 version on my Up Board Gateway (installed on the internal eMMC but boots to ramdisk) and it may allow USB-WiFi adapter. I'll find out.

Of course for simple wired connection, you can use Jussi's USB bootable images (either the standalone NAA image or HQPe image works fine as NAA too).

There's no shared USB and ethernet bus power issues of the Pi'3 here - PCM768kHz and DSD512 is no issue with the Up Board Gateway.

i might have to change the MBAir I use for NAA someday and the Up board would be my choice.

As of powering it, would you order it without a power supply and rather order a powerbank (why not a 3A since its seems to be the specs?)

Has anyone tried with the MeanWell PSU John Swenson recommended for Regen?